• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

old late 70's band does anyone remember?

Status
Not open for further replies.

godeltsihw

Here in Canada (and in some other countries) in late 1979, there was a hit called 'Video Killed the Radio Star' by a group called Bruce Woolley and the Camera Club (of which Thomas Dolby was a founding member). Does anyone remember them?

For those of you in America and England, of course, remember the song by legendary producer Trevor Horn's group, The Buggles. NOTE: The song was co-written by both Horn and Woolley

News to me...I always thought that song was a Buggles original.

After checking allmusic.com, I found that you can get that song (by the Camera Club) on the compilation "New Wave Hits of the 70s and 80s" on the Sony label. (Catalog # is 61170.)

(Incidentally -- the Buggles album featuring V.K.T.R.S., THE AGE OF PLASTIC, is about as tasty a pop album from the 80s as you'll find.)

Mike Blakesley said:
News to me...I always thought that song was a Buggles original.

After checking allmusic.com, I found that you can get that song (by the Camera Club) on the compilation "New Wave Hits of the 70s and 80s" on the Sony label. (Catalog # is 61170.)

(Incidentally -- the Buggles album featuring V.K.T.R.S., THE AGE OF PLASTIC, is about as tasty a pop album from the 80s as you'll find.)

They both pretty much came out at the same time. The song was co-written by both Bruce Woolley (of the Camera Club) and Trevor Horn (of The Buggles). It was however, the Camera Club's version to first be released, and it was this version also that was released to Canada.

Trevor Horn must like to re-do his own songs. The Buggles tune "I Am A Camera" from their 2nd album also appears on a Yes album from the brief period he was with the group. Can't remember the name of the album at this point, but the Buggles version of the song is a lot better.

Mike Blakesley said:
Trevor Horn must like to re-do his own songs. The Buggles tune "I Am A Camera" from their 2nd album also appears on a Yes album from the brief period he was with the group. Can't remember the name of the album at this point, but the Buggles version of the song is a lot better.

speaking of the Buggles 2nd album 'Adventures in Modern Recording', what did you think of it? I quite liked it, but i must be one of few, as for obvious reasons, there was no 3rd Buggles album :sad:

But Horn did certainly well Buggle less with ZTT

I liked it a lot, also. While the first album has more songs that I like a lot, the 2nd one has my all time favorite Buggles tune (the aforementioned "I Am A Camera"). I made a nice CD out of the two records, leaving out a couple of tunes from each, making it the "ultimate" Buggles album.

Speaking of late 70's/early 80's bands, does anyone remember the Kingbees?

Bruce Woolley & The Camera Club was indeed released in the US on Columbia. The Lp also features another Woolley/Horn collaboration "Clean Clean." I prefer the Buggles' VKTRS but do prefer the Camera Club version of "Clean Clean." I believe BW&tCC managed a second LP in their native UK. There are plenty of credits shared between the two bands.

Incidentally, both Buggles were initially with Yes at the point the band was having serious growing pains, taking the chores of Tony Kaye/Rick Wakeman and Jon Anderson. Many call the "Buggle-ized Yes" the "reformed Yes" even though the band was never offically broken up up to that point. Today, just about any incarnation of at least four Yes members qualifies as "Yes recording."

The connections between Yes, Buggles, Woolley, Horn, Wakeman, Strawbs, Thomas Dolby, etc make for an interesting Rock Family Tree -- with A&M connections abounding!

--Mr Bill

Geoff Downes (the other Buggle) has done some solo instrumental work that could be considered the roots of Techno. Surprisingly, most are still in print. And he's practically the only constant in the band Asia...

--Mr Bill

Mike Blakesley said:

The Yes album you're thinking of is DRAMA.
I didn't realize MYSELF, actually, that Bruce Wooley and the Camera Club ever did their own version of "Video Killed ..."!

Mr Bill said:
The connections between Yes, Buggles, Woolley, Horn, Wakeman, Strawbs, Thomas Dolby, etc make for an interesting Rock Family Tree -- with A&M connections abounding!

OK, for a really abbreviated version of a Yes family tree (I actually made one out at one point for a friend) ...
YES's alumni include:
- GEOFF DOWNES and TREVOR HORN of The BUGGLES
- RICK WAKEMAN from the STRAWBS (who also featured Blue Weaver, later of the BEEGEES' backing band; and who also briefly contained Sandy Denny of A&M-ers FAIRPORT CONVENTION; AND also once featured Rod Coombes of A&M-ers STEALERS WHEEL)
- STEVE HOWE who later was in ASIA with Yes bandmate Geoff Downes, along with Carl Palmer of EMERSON, LAKE, and PALMER and John Wetton of -KING CRIMSON and ROXY MUSIC; Howe was also in GTR with Steve Hackett of Genesis, whose one-time touring drummer ...
- BILL BRUFORD, ALSO formerly of King Crimson, was once a member of YES (confused yet?)
- TONY KAYE, later of one-hit wonders FLASH ("Small Beginnings") and also of BADFINGER
- PETER BANKS, later of one-hit wonders AFTER THE FIRE ("Der Komissar") and also of A&M band BLODWYN PIG (with Mick Abrahams of JETHRO TULL and Andy Pyle, later of THE KINKS)
- ALAN WHITE, formerly of JOHN LENNON's Plastic Ono Band
- PATRICK MORAZ, later of the MOODY BLUES [who, just for the sake of forming a full-circle, once contained DENNY LAINE, who was in WINGS with PAUL McCARTNEY, who was in the BEATLES with LENNON, whose one-time drummer was ... ALAN WHITE]

Anybody want to use this as a branching-off point and keep this going? :tongue:

Jeff F.

jfiedler17 said:
Anybody want to use this as a branching-off point and keep this going? :tongue:

Not really...I think it's making my head hurt!! :laugh: :D Interesting Yes family tree, I must say!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom