• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Oscar credits Sergio

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleveland mike

Well, I think we can forget about any "bad blood" existing between Oscar Castro-Neves and Sergio. Two pieces of evidence- Oscar's performing with Sergio in Detroit, and the credit Oscar gives to Sergio in the liner notes in his latest CD " All One".
The following is copied from the text written by Fernando Gonzalez found in the new Mack Avenue CD by Oscar and his all-star band....
A different kind of private pleasure is Castro-Neves arrangement of "Nao Me Dinga Adeus" (Don't Tell Me Goodbye). It's an old song from the 1920s, but here he arranged it with a wink and a nod to Sergio Mendes' hit "Mas Que Nada".
Castro-Neves joined Sergio Mendes' Brasil 66 in 1971 and remained with the group as featured guitarist, musical director, and vocal coach until 1981. "I learned a lot by working with the group and I understand Sergio"s approach" he says.
In his arrangement, Castro-Neves evokes musical gestures such as piano figures and even a finger snap from Mendes' hit. "Basically, I used the template of a song on to another song-until they became twin sisters" he says. "This is like retro vision of Brasil 66 and part of the fun was addressing that part of my past.

Wherever did you hear of "bad blood" between Oscar and Sergio? That's a new one to me.

This came up in the thread reviewing Sergio and Oscars appearance at the Detroit JazzFest. I never did believe there was anything to it myself, but the question was raised, and has now been settled.

The original post read: "Sergio and Oscar sat at oopoite ends of the stage, as far from each other as possible" which I took to indicate they were not on good terms. Sorry if I read in to it something that was not there.

Well if they had a disagreement years ago, it's not such a big deal. Remember Sergio was somewhat "irritated" with Herb A. for "stealing his girl" (Lani Hall) and now they are all great friends. Time heals all wounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom