• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Oscar & others on new Yo-Yo Ma CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMK

Contributor
Yo-Yo Ma's new CD is "Obrigado, Brazil" and contains work by Oscar Castro-Neves among a host of other great players. Haven't picked it up yet, but will report as soon as I have. Evidently contains tunes by Jobim and other likely suspects.

I heard one song on our current "Movie Tunes" disk. It's nice pleasant music, but sounds kind of elevatorish to me. I'm not a Yo Yo Ma expert though so your mileage may vary.

Indeed, Yo Yo Ma can be an acquired taste. Then again, the same can be said for Neves himself (depending on the album -- some of his stuff is far too orchestrated for me). However, I've heard the new Yo Yo Ma CD and although I hear what you mean by "elevatorish" (I love that description! :) ), I rather enjoyed it.

Jon

There's a really excellent book about MOR called "Elevator Music" that contains quite a bit of info on A&M.

JMK said:
There's a really excellent book about MOR called "Elevator Music" that contains quite a bit of info on A&M.

Being the "Pseudo/Exotica/MOR-Loving Nut" that I am, I'll have to look for this book! Thanks for the reference, Jeff. Sounds like it's right up my alley! :wink:

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom