• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Oscar Peterson - R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Some very sad news to report: piano great Oscar Peterson died yesterday (12/23) in Ontario at the age of 82, reportedly from kidney failure. I was fortunate enough to see him perform in the late 70's as part of the Pable Jazz Festival. He was a big man, but he was able to move so quickly on the keyboards. One of my favorite jazz albums is Peterson's Live At The Northsea Jazz Festival The Hague 1980 with Joe Pass, Toots Thielemans and Niels Henning Orsted Pedersen. A very sad day for jazz fans. More from the JazzTimes site:

Oscar Peterson, August 15, 1925-December 23, 2007

oscarpeterson.jpg

Oscar Peterson, acknowledged as one of the most significant and beloved jazz pianists of all time, died December 23 at age 82 in Mississauga, Ontario. The reported cause was kidney failure. Sources close to Peterson said that he had been “going downhill” for some time.

During his seven-decade career, Peterson played with many of the iconic names in jazz, including Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, Charlie Parker, Roy Eldridge, Nat King Cole, Stan Getz, Dizzy Gillespie, Ella Fitzgerald and Duke Ellington.

Peterson's impressive collection of awards include a Lifetime Grammy (1997) and induction into the International Jazz Hall of Fame. Peterson was frequently invited to perform for various luminaries, including the British Queen and President Richard Nixon.

Ellington once referred to him as a "Maharajah of the keyboard," while Basie said, "Oscar Peterson plays the best ivory box I've ever heard."

Born August 15, 1925, near Montreal, Peterson’s love of music was passed down from his father Daniel, a railway porter and self-taught musician. Oscar Peterson learned to play trumpet and piano at a young age, but after a bout with tuberculosis had to concentrate on the latter.

He became a teen sensation in his native Canada, playing in dance bands and recording in the late 1930s and early 1940s.

As the only black member of a dance band, he was frequently subjected to the racism of the day. Peterson spent a great deal of his life acting as a spokesman for minority rights, drawing on his experiences growing up St. Antoine district of Montreal. Peterson called Canada home throughout his entire life.

He quickly made a name for himself as a jazz virtuoso, often compared to piano great Art Tatum, his childhood idol, for his speed and technical skill. He was also influenced by Nat King Cole.

International exposure came in 1948 when Norman Granz, producer of Jazz at the Philharmonic, heard Peterson on Montreal radio and later invited the 24-year-old to New York to play as a surprise guest at Carnegie Hall. After the performance, the young talent joined the troupe and toured North America with them for two years.

Peterson, whose career was managed by Granz for over 30 years, formed a trio in 1951 with Ray Brown on bass and Charlie Smith on drums and continued playing with the prestigious group.

His most famous threesome, from 1953 to 1958, was with guitarist Herb Ellis and bassist Ray Brown, who were often cited as one of the world's finest jazz combos.

Ellis left the Peterson trio in 1958 and was replaced by drummer Ed Thigpen. That trio lasted for seven years.

Peterson suffered a stroke in 1993 that weakened his left hand, but within a year he was back on tour, recording "Side By Side" with Itzhak Perlman.

As he grew older, Peterson kept playing and touring, despite worsening arthritis and difficulties walking.

"A jazz player is an instant composer," Peterson once said in a CBC interview, while conceding jazz did not have the mass appeal of other musical genres. "You have to think about it, it's an intellectual form," he said.

Capt. Bacardi
...saddened online... :cry:

Sad news.

One of my favorite "takes-place-at-Christmas-time" thriller movies is THE SILENT PARTNER with Elliott Gould and Christopher Plummer. Oscar Peterson wrote the music score for this 1978 thriller.

Harry

This is indeed, a sad day for jazz, and music in particular. Oscar was one of the most beloved jazz musicians of all time. His influence was so strong, that he influenced such pop acts with jazz flavoring such as Gino and Joe Vannelli,Steely Dan among others.

Also, did you all know that when Herb Alpert produced Eduardo Del Barrio's album FREEPLAY, that Oscar called Herb to congradulate him and Eduardo on a job well done?

I have two of Oscar's albums(I will get more) in my collection, and they are BLUES ETUDE and SOUL ESPANOL which are great albums, particularly SOUL ESPANOL. It is jazz/soul combined with Brazilian rhythms. I believe we lost a few giants in this music this year what with Jon Lucien, Max Roach , and now Oscar. Oscar, you are missed.

Sorry to hear this sad news. I saw Oscar P. with Joe Pass at the Paramount Theater here in Austin back in the 70s. I'd use the word "incredible" to describe the performance, but I'd have to use it so many times it would lose any meaning. Peterson was a giant at the keyboard in every sense of the word. Heck, I remember at one point even Joe Pass grinned and shook his head over several particularly incredible Peterson riffs.

Mike A.

mikeargo said:
Sorry to hear this sad news. I saw Oscar P. with Joe Pass at the Paramount Theater here in Austin back in the 70s.

That would've been a good place to hear him. Love the sound at the Paramount. When I saw him in the late 70's it was at the Erwin Center (I forget what it was called back then). Aside from Oscar there was also Joe Pass, Ella Fitzgerald, Toots Thielemans and the Paul Smith Trio. I was in the 8th row for that show, so it sounded good from there, unlike most shows at the Erwin.

Capt. Bacardi

I have a handful of his albums here myself. I'm a relative latecomer to his recordings. I'd purchased a Polygram jazz sampler CD called "Jazz Like You've Never Heard It Before" from 1983 or so. The lead-off was Peterson's version of "Something's Coming" from his West Side Story album on Verve. That album (which I ended up buying) sparked me to buy a few of his others on Verve. Incredible piano work!

R.I.P, big guy...

Captain Bacardi said:
That would've been a good place to hear him. Love the sound at the Paramount. When I saw him in the late 70's it was at the Erwin Center (I forget what it was called back then). Aside from Oscar there was also Joe Pass, Ella Fitzgerald, Toots Thielemans and the Paul Smith Trio. I was in the 8th row for that show, so it sounded good from there, unlike most shows at the Erwin.

Capt. Bacardi

Agreed--the Paramount has a great sound. Thinking back over the acts I've heard there...Dizzy Gillespie, Dave Brubeck, Miles, Chuck Berry, Milton Nascimento, and more...all had a great big sound for such a relatively small space. Miles sounded good even with his back turned to the audience the whole time. I think the Erwin Center was called Special Events Center (SEC) back when you saw Peterson there. Now of course it's the Frank Erwin Center (FEC, or FECes for short). Rotten place to hear music, but OK for basketball, I guess.

I understand Oscar Peterson had something like an octave and a half handspan. Big man, big sound!

Mike A.

I've got a copy of the 1999 Verve reissue of Oscar Peterson's VERY TALL, originally released in 1961. It features Milt Jackson (vibes), who would later appear on A&M's PARIS ALLSTARS (CD 5300) with Roach, Gillespie, Getz, etc.

Great stuff.

JB

OP is an anomaly of sorts. He enjoyed tremendous "jazz success" in the '60s. His music, nevertheless, was not representative of '60s mainstream (e.g., Horace Silver, Cedar Walton, Hampton Hawes, Duke Pearson) but, rather, very much consistent with the melodically-rich feel of the '40s (Bud Powell, Teddy Wilson, et al).

His release, Night Train ['62], may be one of his best trio dates; while the release, Oscar Peterson + One Clark Terry, welcomes yet another '40s-rooted stylist in the '60s. The music of Terry and OP always brings a smile -- which is truly refreshing within the context of the self-indulgence heavy '60s. It's been said that Johnny Cash made country music for people who hated country music; I can easily apply the same philosophy to Messrs. Terry and Peterson in that they made uncompromised jazz for people who just couldn't understand the likes of a Sonny Rollins or a Lee Morgan.

It's hard to name a pianist who swung harder and with more melodic grace than OP.

-James

I was very saddened upon hearing the bad news. Mr. Peterson suffered a serious stroke a few years ago, yet managed to "bounce back" from that bad setback. He continued to tour and play, albeit with a slightly "toned down" technique, perhaps making better utilization of the "space" between the notes as great musicians are prone to do. (Chet Baker, Herb Alpert, Sergio Mendes, Horace Silver, Keith Jarrett, and Miles Davis come to mind in this respect....)
One of the greatest pianists in Afro-Cuban music (Salsa + Latin Jazz) who suffered a similar fate as Mr. Peterson (stroke and " bouncing back") was one Charlie Palmieri, Eddie Palmieri's older brother, mentor, and first teacher on the "ivories". He managed to record one of his best Latin-Jazz instrumental records after having suffered a very serious stroke. He passed away on Sept. 1988 in N.Y.C.
Charlie Palmieri in turn influenced Mr. Clare Fischer one of the most under-rated musicians in our country. Mr. Fischer has recorded, arranged, and composed for many of the most successful, and well known musicians in the world such as Paul McCartney, Prince, Joao Gilberto, Frank Sinatra, Streisand, Celine Dion, Michael Jackson, Paul Simon, etc, etc, yet he has never received the acclaim he so richly deserves. He has recorded many albums with Cal Tjader, and as a solo artist. A classically trained pianist and top-notch arranger, who will probably be hailed long after his demise. Who said "life is fair"?
One of my favorite Oscar Peterson albums was recorded around 1966, and is called: "With Respect To Nat" (King Cole). Mr. Peterson was much more subdued in his playing here, and I was very pleasantly surprised that on some of the tracks Mr. Peterson SANG eerily reminiscent to the Great Nat King Cole.... He will truly be missed. :cry:

So much said about Oscar Peterson and now feel inclined to check out some of his works... While working at a record store years ago, I did play one of his albums, of which the title I clearly forgot... It was one of his albums from the later '70's of course, featuring my favorite guitarist, John Tropea...

A picture from that album of Oscar is actually cut off and displayed on one of the LP display cases in the Jazz Section of one record store I frequently visit...

Gonna have to hunt down and revisit that album, among others...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom