Oscars Homage to the Carpenters

That was brilliant. Then seconds later John Travolta gave a tearful introduction of the ‘in Memoriam’ . Then Lenny Kravitz sings ‘Calling all Angels” and the first memoriam is ONJ 🥲

Yes scorius, keen thought ! Wouldn’t it be lovely if that seed was planted?

WOW!!!! 🥳

I almost watched it, but turned it on a few minutes before the show began and unfortunately couldn't make it more than a minute into the red carpet before wanting to turn it off. But this is amazing! 😍

Last edited:
That was brilliant. Then seconds later John Travolta gave a tearful introduction of the ‘in Memoriam’ . Then Lenny Kravitz sings ‘Calling all Angels” and the first memoriam is ONJ 🥲
Didn’t jimmy kimmel also make reference of “hopelessly devoted to you” in the intro to it?

Mike Smith, the winner for Best Original Song was "Naatu Naatu" from RRR.

I didn't watch the telecast, but read about it this morning. How cool! I wonder if Richard was watching?

The ABC clip isn't accessible outside the U.S., but I was able to play this one:

Bravo!

Mike Smith, the winner for Best Original Song was "Naatu Naatu" from RRR.

I didn't watch the telecast, but read about it this morning. How cool! I wonder if Richard was watching?

The ABC clip isn't accessible outside the U.S., but I was able to play this one:

Bravo!

Wow. That's crazy. Totally unexpected and very cool.

Ed

The reference to Carps was gratuitous and used only to set up his self-serving version of TOTW...audience reaction was muted and mixed and limited to the small minority who knew who he was talking about...

And "Naatu Naatu" - was the award for Best Song or Best Dance?

Mike:
In accepting the "best song" Oscar for This is a Life, the team of Ryan Lott and David Byrne got on stage and gave tribute to the Carpenters and sang a bit of Top of the World!
Mike: A correction to your posting— the Best Original Song winner was “Naatu Naatu” from the film “RRR.”

Had it been Talking Heads frontman David Byrne singing “Top of the World”…. well, that REALLY would have been something! 😁💕

Last edited:
While it's kind of a neat thing for us fans, I really don't find this all that remarkable. We know that Carpenters have always been big in Japan and other parts of Asia, and I'd expect that would include India as well. It's sort-of like our thread "Heard Carpenters" where we list the places in our daily lives where we hear Carpenters. It's more of an oddity for it to be in the United States, but apparently overseas it's not that big of a deal. They don't seem to have a hang-up about Carpenters overseas like we do here in the States.

On the other end of the spectrum:
I was early for church and got to hear a bit of the band warm up. The young female singer hit some wonderfully low notes, and the guitar player commented, "There's a bit of Karen Carpenter that just came out." The sound team (who was a bit older than this very talented 15 year old) began to agree.

The singer looked perplexed. Of course, I jumped in. "Do you not know her?" She shook her head. "She had the best female contralto in the history of recorded music. You probably know some of her songs without realizing it."

About a half an hour later, she walked past me. I called her over and played Rainy Days and Mondays. We know it could have been one of many. I decided against Superstar as this was church and she was a young teen girl. "She's really good! I'm honored at the comparison." And then I told her she and her brother sold over 100 million records in the 1970s and to ask her grandparents about them.

My bet is she went home and looked her up. What a treasure trove waiting to be discovered.

Richard shared this video today as a thank you. So cool.

That was fantastic and gracious of Richard and family! He was clearly moved by M.M. Keeravani's reference to the Carpenters and his TOTW Oscars' musical acceptance speech for "Naatu Naatu"..... enough to compose original congrats audio and get Mindi and (forgive but which other daughter is singing here?) to sing with him. If he and Mary weren't watching the telecast, they were bound to find out by their kids, friends, and anyone else who knows them. Keeravani said in the Oscars backstage interview that the song expressed his feelings at the moment and TOTW is a favorite song of his. If you take a look at Youtube, there's a lot of traffic generated towards the Carpenters/TOTW in the last 24 hrs just because of Keeravani's Oscars reference. A winning situation for everyone involved.

The elation of Keeravani's Oscar win didn't stop there. He played TOTW on piano at an Oscars "RRR" after party.

Back
Top Bottom