• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎵 AotW OST: A NIGHT IN HEAVEN (SP-4966)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Original Soundtrack
A NIGHT IN HEAVEN

A&M SP-4966

sp4966.jpg

1. Obsession (04:03)
Michael Des Barres & Holly Knight
2. The Animal Song (03:52)
Europeans
3. Which Side Of The Bed (04:43)
The English Beat
4. Long Way To Heaven (04:34)
Tom Teeley
5. Down By The Waterfront (03:34)
Kiddo
6. Heaven (04:02)
Bryan Adams
7. Like What You See (03:40)
Jan Hammer & Next
8. Reaction Time (03:59)
Jan Hammer & Next
9. Sugar Don't Bite (03:54)
Rita Coolidge
10. Dance To The Beat (04:16)
Gary U.S. Bonds
transpixel.gif

Total Duration: 00:40:37

JB

This one's an interesting disc on several levels. For one thing, it's a long-out-of-print soundtrack (I've only ever run across it one time that I can recall) that completely tanked to a movie that similarly completely tanked, both at the box office and with critics, and has been all but forgotten by now. (I've never seen it myself, but I've heard it's pretty terrible.) And yet there's not one, not two, but three songs on here that would go on to be Top 40 hits, though two of them were in the form of cover versions.
The soundtrack did produce an unexpected number one hit with Bryan Adams' "Heaven," but it didn't actually get released as a single (and consequently land on the Hot 100) until well over a year later, when it was chosen as the third single from Adams' album Reckless. (Interestingly, Adams nearly didn't include the song on Reckless at all, never mind put it out as a single, but changed his mind and added it to the album at the very last minute. Wise call!)
"Obsession" - performed here by the two songwriters behind the song - WAS released as a single and, like the full soundtrack, similarly tanked but became a massive Top Ten hit two years later for the group Animotion.
And Rita Coolidge's "Sugar Don't Bite" similarly got overlooked as a single but, a year later, would become the sole Top 40 hit for Motown recording artist Sam Harris, better known for his many appearances on "Star Search."
Pretty interesting, huh? :razz:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom