• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Pete Jolly Christmas cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

bah6464

I was browsing the Dusty Groove website and discovered this on their new page:

Various -- Cool Yule -- The Swinging Sound Of Christmas -- A Fine Feast Of Festive Folk, Beatnik Bossas, and Icy Electronics . . . CD . . . $16.99 (Item: 78507)
Invisible College/Lo (UK), 1950s/1960s/1970s Condition: New Copy View Cart
Cool Yule? This is the coolest! The set's one of the best-ever compilations of Holiday Music we've ever heard -- filled with groovy little gems pulled from obscure albums from the 50s, 60s, and 70s -- all packaged with an ear for the Christmas connoisseur who's tired of hearing the same old songs year after year! We can guarantee that there's plenty on this set you don't have on other albums of this sort -- and there's a very special focus on late 60s groovers with a really cool and breezy feel. Titles include "Joy To The World" by Lalo Schifrin, "Swinging Bells" by Mystic Monks, "Bell That Couldn't Jingle" by Anita Kerr Singers, "Little Drummer Boy" by Soulful Strings, "Good King Wencelas" by Leroy Holmes, "Winter Wonderland" by Rhodes Kids, "Jingle Bell Beat" by Up With People, "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" by Douglas Leedy, "The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year" by Pete Jolly, "We Three Kings" by Joy Strings, "Yulesville" by Ed Kookie Burns, and "Bright Star In The East" by Billy Taylor & David Frost.

Various -- El Christmas -- The World In Winter . . . CD . . . $13.99 (Item: 29657)

Isn't the Pete Jolly cut from Something Festive?j I haven't ordered it yet.

bah6464 said:
Isn't the Pete Jolly cut from Something Festive?j I haven't ordered it yet.

Unless he recorded it again later (or even earlier) in his career, it is probably the same version as on Something Festive. Interesting that it's on CD! :)

Actually he did record it later as a one-off.

The "Something Festive" version is better and to my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong...quick! and I'll order it) has never been released on CD.

Update to this thread...

On the off chance that the COOL YULE album might have the SOMETHING FESTIVE version of Pete Jolly and "The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year", I did some searching. Though I couldn't find any info on the Internet, I did find that one of the amazon re-sellers had it for a pretty reasonable price, so I ordered it. This place that listed it (a fairly common one that seem to list virtually every possible CD, caiman.com) took its time coming up with it, but it arrived today.

Good news, this IS the SOMETHING FESTIVE version, making it the first official appearance on CD (that I know of). It sounds pretty good to me, though it's possible it was sourced from a clean LP. The album is on an odd little label called Invisible College, with an email address of [email protected] , so it seems unlikely to me that this little organization somehow miraculously unearthed the original master tapes from Universal's vaults - but what do I know?

Actually "unearthed", as a word is used in the descriptor on the back cover: A Fine Feast of Festive Folk, Beatnik Bossas, and Icy Electronics, unearthed and compiled by Martin Green. There are no mastering credits of any kind. Perhaps members of our British contingent have heard of Martin Green?...

So that's another of the long-lost SOMETHING FESTIVE tracks that have made it to CD. Last year saw that YULESVILLE release of the Sergio Mendes "Christmas Song", and Hip-O Select put out the Bacharach box set with "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle" (finally, properly mastered).

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom