• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Pisano's Big Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

The new issue of Down Beat features a review of John Pisano's "Guitar Night" which he took to New York on October 28, 2003. The gig was held at the famous club Birdland and was sponsored by Eastman Guitars. Pisano got rave reviews for the event, jamming with several young guitar players such as Steve Herberman, Tony do Rosario, Jimmy Bruno and Jack Wilkins. They mention that many notable instrumentalists were in the audience as well, including Russell Malone and George Benson. Here's one paragraph about the event:

"The evening's main draw, though, was Pisano. His succinct, tasty soloing, thoughtful accompaniment and unerring sense of swing brought out the best in his co-conspirators, while providing a thoroughly enjoyable evening for the audience."

One of these days I need to get to California and see this for myself! :D

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
The new issue of Down Beat features a review of John Pisano's "Guitar Night" which he took to New York on October 28, 2003. The gig was held at the famous club Birdland and was sponsored by Eastman Guitars. Pisano got rave reviews for the event, jamming with several young guitar players such as Steve Herberman, Tony do Rosario, Jimmy Bruno and Jack Wilkins. They mention that many notable instrumentalists were in the audience as well, including Russell Malone and George Benson. Here's one paragraph about the event:

"The evening's main draw, though, was Pisano. His succinct, tasty soloing, thoughtful accompaniment and unerring sense of swing brought out the best in his co-conspirators, while providing a thoroughly enjoyable evening for the audience."

Capt. Bacardi

Take me with you!

Dan

Hi Guys!

One of these days I need to get to California and see this for myself!

Capt. Bacardi

Not only is his playing beyond compare, but John is a real gentleman and always makes time to talk to everyone - it doesn't matter if you are a fan or another player at one of his guitar workshops. Also, Spazio is a great place for dinner and a drink or two! :D

Which place in California does John Pisano play his "Guitar Night" at? I remember seeing it at a place called Rocco's on The Homepage.

I've got at least one issue of DOWNBEAT somewhere, I think from The Late-60's. Yes, the one Gabor Szabo is in! :wink: I believe that one also has a story about a "then-decline of Jazz"--I'll have to look for it.

Dave

...posting here because I could use some Real California Weather, myself... :baah: Brrrrrrr!!!! :sad:

Captain Bacardi said:

I very well may be going out to do just that. Lining up some meetings out that way right now, but no definite timeframe yet.

Mid July isn't the best time though--Pisano is going on the road for a couple of gigs. They've put together a Peggy Lee tribute with quite a few special guests. It plays one night in L.A. then goes to the Chicago area, then Minneapolis. No idea if any other dates will be added, but the roster tentatively includes John Pisano, Bea Arthur, Petula Clark, Freddy Cole, Rita Coolidge, Nnenna Freelon, Jack Jones, Jane Monheit, Rita Moreno, Nancy Sinatra, Jay Leonhart and Grady Tate. (Mike Renzi, Music Director.)

Looks like I won't be able to do so till the end of August. So if you have any control over when you come out, very late August or early September works best for an A&M Corner get-together....

--Mr Bill
details to follow

I'll e- you with any dates; you probably realize the reason why I can't give a date publicly. :wink:

I never really cared for the guitar UNTIL I heard John Pisano on the WCAOD album. I was hooked from that day on. IMHO, Pisano is the best. I am thankful I had the pleasure of seeing him in concert a few times. I'd love to meet him.

Tom :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom