🎄 Holidays! POLL: The Best Christmas Song

Vote for your choice of "Best Christmas Song"

• The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Jingle Bells

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Sleigh Ride

• Winter Wonderland

• Silent Night

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Deck The Halls

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer

• Ave Maria

• Away In A Manger

• God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

• The 12 Days of Christmas

• My Favorite Things

• It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Happy Holidays

• The Christmas Waltz

• Greensleeves (What Child Is This?)

• Jingle Bell Rock

• Christmastime Is Here

• Merry Christmas, Darling

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow

• Carol Of The Bells

• Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

• Hurry Home for Christmas

• Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Blue Christmas

• Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree

• White Christmas

• Hark, The Herald Angels Sing

• Angels We Have Heard On High

• We Three Kings Of Orient Are

• O Holy Night

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters
DAN BOLTON said:
12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS

THE PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE was JESUS CHRIST.

TWO TURTLE DOVES were the OLD AND NEW TESTAMENT.

THREE FRENCH HENS stood for FAITH, HOPE, and LOVE.

the FOUR CALLING BIRDS were the FOUR GOSPELS of MATTHEW, MARK, LUKE and JOHN.

The FIVE GOLDEN RINGS were the TORAH, the FIRST FIVE BOOKS OF THE BIBLE.

The SIX GEESE-A-LAYING were the SIX DAYS OF CREATION.

SEVEN SWANS-SWIMMING represented the SEVENFOLD GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT...PROPHECY, SERVING, TEACHING, EXHORTATION, CONTRIBUTION, LEADERSHIP and MERCY.

The EIGHT MAIDS -A-MILKING were the EIGHT BEATITUDES[Blessed are themeek...etc; from the Sermon on the Mount...].

NINE LADIES DANCING were the NINE FRUITS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT--LOVE, JOY, PEACE, PATIENCE, KINDNESS, GOODNESS, FAITHFULNESS, GENTLENESS and SELF-CONTROL.

The TEN LORDS A-LEAPING were THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.

The ELEVEN PIPERS PIPING were the ELEVEN FAITHFUL DISCIPLES.

The TWELVE DRUMMERS DRUMMING symbolized THE TWELVE POINTS OF THE APOSTLE'S CREED.

I always KNEW there HAD to be a reason for at least some of the imagery involved in these lyrics...now it isn't a mystery any more.

Actually, this is all false. I was looking at the snopes website (www.snopes.com) for something else, and ran across the above myth. It's too long to copy, but you can go to the site to read the entire thing at: http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/12days.asp

Capt. Bacardi
...seeking facts online...

Well, I feel sheepish.... :rolleyes: I DO find a lot of truth in the last paragraph of the treatise. It really isn't a very good thing to gloss over the fact that one group of Christians persecuted another. That's TOTALLY UNCALLED FOR ! The carol is so unusual, though, that it is a fascinating subject...and THAT is probably the reason that it has endured...I agree, it doesn't make much sense, but it is fun to sing...and Julius Wechter produced a very majestic and beautiful version of it.

Dan, who got what he asked for...

We were all sitting around the dinner table the other day, and I casually mentioned what I'd learned from the forum about this carol...my sister, a nurse at St. Vincent's Memorial Hospital [one of the biggest and most prestigious in Indiana, and VERY Catholic...] disputed my claim vigorously.

Neither of us is Roman Catholic, but she has a lot of contact with a lot of nuns from various orders; and they apparently teach their children this tale as gospel, just as the original post stated. After reading Snopes' rebuttal, I have to say that their version makes more sense to me...but a lot of Roman Catholics seem to be of the opinion that the song was in fact written as a catechism exercise.

From a purely literary standpoint, it really doesn't make a lot of sense, but...evidently a lot of people really believe in the folklore. My sister turned on me like a momma lion...and, the carol HAS been used as a catechism teaching tool. But, I'll still sing it as a clever little song about a lot of birds and a really crowded living room with presents that must have been a real hoot to unwrap...

Dan

Rudy, First let me say this is cool to have a Xmas Posting area. Since I was not here last year this is new to me. Oh and I love the green color when I signed on here today. Cool.

Well I voted for Merry Christmas Darling. It really is my most favorite, hearing Karen sing this always get's me in the mood for the holidays & I never tire of hearing it.

My opinion is that Silent Night is the all time, quintessential song associated with Christmas... In both the religious and popular contexts, I can't think of a song that is more the embodiment of the season...or perhaps better known to the entire world...

I read somewhere that the "12 Days" refers to the days between December 25, which we celebrate as the day Christ was born, to January 6, which is known as the Epiphany, which is supposedly the time that the Magi arrived at the manger to worship Him. :D

daveK said:
I read somewhere that the "12 Days" refers to the days between December 25, which we celebrate as the day Christ was born, to January 6, which is known as the Epiphany, which is supposedly the time that the Magi arrived at the manger to worship Him. :D

If you'll read the few posts before yours you will see that this is false.

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
daveK said:

If you'll read the few posts before yours you will see that this is false.

Actually Captain, daveK's statement is correct. This is taken directly from the snopes.com article that you mentioned in your previous post:

What we do know is that the twelve days of Christmas in the song are the twelve days between the birth of Christ (Christmas, December 25) and the coming of the Magi (Epiphany, January 6).

Murray

Egad I HOPE my kids never find this out. They'll want presents on all twelve days! :agree: :rotf:

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Rudy, First let me say this is cool to have a Xmas Posting area. Since I was not here last year this is new to me. Oh and I love the green color when I signed on here today. Cool.

Well I voted for Merry Christmas Darling. It really is my most favorite, hearing Karen sing this always get's me in the mood for the holidays & I never tire of hearing it.

Other than the logo at the top, the all-green forum is just the "Whipped Cream" theme. I'm going to create a separate Xmas theme that will add a little more red and white (without, hopefully, looking too low rent :wink: ). I usually retire it a few days after Jan. 1. Should be a little more exciting this year since Michigan made the Rose Bowl.

To be honest I thought that there would be more votes to this poll, it makes me think that only Carpenters fans are voting, since MCD is at 30% in the lead. :D

With only 20 votes total, there must just be alot of lookers & no voters. Unless Rudy reset the votes from last year?
Am I wrong? :?:

Was a hard choice, but I picked "O Holy Night" since the idea was to pick a song that captures the true spirit and essences (to use Neil's words :D ) of Christmas. These few lyrics spell that out for me:
"Long lay the world,
In sin and error pinning,
Till He appeared
And the soul found its worth".

Not trying to bring anyone into my religious convictions, but that's what the holidays mean to me, personally.

Happy Holidays, folks!

Oh, and in my opinion, Nat King Cole's version of the song beats all others. :wink:

O HOLY NIGHT is a great christmas song, and I especially like Neil Diamond's interpretation of it.

But being a Carpenters fan, MERRY CHRISTMAS DARLING is my choice for best christmas song.

Bruno
it's December, but temperatures in Germany are like spring at the moment :rolleyes:

Guys, I didn't vote! I have always been an avid fan of Christmas and its music. Sorry I can't pick just one song! As far as melody is concerned, I love the Coventry Carol mostly for its bluesy sound.

Now when it comes to the quintessential album, "Christmas Portrait" wins hands down. But that comment belongs on the Carpenters poll! :)

Marilyn, who's starting to go through her Christmas albums!

I can't pick just one, but probably the most important Christmas song of all time is "White Christmas." It was one of the first adult songs about Christmas (no Santa Claus, etc.) that was purely secular. And it was a huge hit, thus basically creating the Christmas music "industry" and the eternal search for the next "White Christmas."

If not for "White Christmas," it's highly unlikely that there would have been a "Christmas Song" or almost any of the later secular songs we associate with Christmas.

My favorite is "Nutty Jingle Bells" by Al Hirt because it is just that. There is some excellent ballad blowing on the rest of Jumbo's holiday album as well.

Also, "What Would Santa Claus Say, When He Finds Everybody Swingin?" by Louis Prima. An early "Gleeby Rhythm" tune.

Kenny Burrell had a great Christmas guitar album, too. We've been trying to find it on CD.

While I'm writing this, I finally thought of my favorite.."Silver Bells", first heard in "The Lemon Drop Kid" movie starring old ski nose...

Another favorite of mine (that I've been trying to find on CD for a long time) is "Buon Natale," sung by Nat King Cole. It's another one of those feel-good Christmas songs.

Mike:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000002UWT/amcorne-20

The CD is Cole, Christmas & Kids, which Amazon has titled Christmas for Kids (which they probably got from an electronic listing from Capitol). "Buon Natale (Means Merry Christmas To You)" is track #8. Hope it's the same version. If you need a sample, let me know.

Note: The version of "The Christmas Song" on here is an earlier recording than the popular version played on the radio. Maybe I should combine both on one disc. :wink:

Important: there is another Cole/Christmas/Kids CD out there, but it's not the same one. This CD I have was released in 1990 and is now out of print. My only reservation is that Bob Norberg remastered it...his recent work really sucks. Very much a proponent of no-noise. :mad:

The Kenny Burrell "HAVE YOURSELF A SOULFUL LITTLE CHRISTMAS" finally came out this year from UMG's vault under the Verve imprint(originally a Chess/Cadet issue). I can finally get rid of my crappy MCA tape and just say "No" if I see a $20 vinyl copy at our quarterly record show this weekend. A great "Favorite Things" and other goodies like "Go Where I Send Thee" and "Little Drummer Boy". Mac

Rudy said:
Mike:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000002UWT/amcorne-20

The CD is Cole, Christmas & Kids, which Amazon has titled Christmas for Kids (which they probably got from an electronic listing from Capitol). "Buon Natale (Means Merry Christmas To You)" is track #8. Hope it's the same version. If you need a sample, let me know.

Note: The version of "The Christmas Song" on here is an earlier recording than the popular version played on the radio. Maybe I should combine both on one disc. :wink:

Important: there is another Cole/Christmas/Kids CD out there, but it's not the same one. This CD I have was released in 1990 and is now out of print. My only reservation is that Bob Norberg remastered it...his recent work really sucks. Very much a proponent of no-noise. :mad:

Actually, the newer CD is indeed called Christmas for Kids (From One to Ninety-Two).

I'd get the 1990 CD Cole, Christmas & Kids if you can find it, as it not only has the first stereo mix of "Buon Natale," but it also includes the 1953 mono version of "The Christmas Song" with Nelson Riddle's orchestra (rather than Ralph Carmichael's). This version was the AM radio staple in the 1970s and was reissued on 45 well into the 1980s. Today, you usually hear the Carmichael stereo version, which was done in 1961 for The Nat King Cole Story 3-LP retrospective and was tacked onto Nat's The Magic of Christmas album in 1963 (replacing "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen") when it was re-titled The Christmas Song.

I've got four studio versions of "The Christmas Song" by Nat King Cole in my collection: the original "non-strings" King Cole Trio version; the 1940s Trio version with strings (the original hit); the 1950s mono re-recording with the Nelson Riddle orchestra; the 1960s stereo re-recording with the Ralph Carmichael orchestra.

Favourite Modern : Merry Christmas Darling

Classic Christmas : White Christmas ( with the opening verse to place
the song in context )

Favourite Carol : O Little Town of Bethlehem / O Come All Ye Faithful (tie)

Peter

Hey, thanks for the info on the Kenny Burrell's. I'll see that a couple get sold this week. You've got great taste, buddy.

"Little Drummer Boy" by the Harry Simone Choir is my Favorite Christmas Song!!!

"Linus and Lucy" wasn't on the list (and not really a Christmas song, I guess).

But it's difficult to get a list of all the songs.

I voted for Sleigh Ride. (thinking of Steve and Eydie). But that's a different album label.

Happy Holidays to ALL!!!!!

Trevor
(who would rather read about snow than see it.)

Tim Neely said:
Actually, the newer CD is indeed called Christmas for Kids (From One to Ninety-Two).

I'd get the 1990 CD Cole, Christmas & Kids if you can find it, as it not only has the first stereo mix of "Buon Natale," but it also includes the 1953 mono version of "The Christmas Song" with Nelson Riddle's orchestra (rather than Ralph Carmichael's). This version was the AM radio staple in the 1970s and was reissued on 45 well into the 1980s. Today, you usually hear the Carmichael stereo version, which was done in 1961 for The Nat King Cole Story 3-LP retrospective and was tacked onto Nat's The Magic of Christmas album in 1963 (replacing "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen") when it was re-titled The Christmas Song.

I've got four studio versions of "The Christmas Song" by Nat King Cole in my collection: the original "non-strings" King Cole Trio version; the 1940s Trio version with strings (the original hit); the 1950s mono re-recording with the Nelson Riddle orchestra; the 1960s stereo re-recording with the Ralph Carmichael orchestra.

Tim--Amazon has it screwed up. They still list the Cole, Christmas & Kids, out of print, but they have it in their database with the wrong title. The 1990 CD is what actually shows up in my link above, despite whatever Amazon calls it. A blindingly obvious error, especially when the CD cover they show has the correct title on it (which is the same as my CD, pictured below). The later "kids" album didn't list "Buon Natale". In fact, that later CD seems like a hybrid between the Ralph Carmichael album and the 1990 Cole/Xmas/Kids. I don't own it to verify the versions.

Both of my Cole CDs fit easily on one disc. :) Just over an hour's worth of music.

Back to Amazon, though--I see there is now only one copy listed for $29.95, so someone's onto the fact that it's out of print. I know I bought mine on Dec. 26 in 1990 or 1991, on sale. :) Of the five Chrstmas CDs listed on Amazon that I found, only this one has "Buon Natale".

B000002UWT.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Rudy said:
Which "earlier recording"? His King Cole Trio recording from 1946? The 1954 Riddle-conducted version (the 45 of which I have in my collection)? I'd have to prefer that one to the version backed by Carmichael from 1961 . . .

But as for X-mas tracks, besides the above and the Carpenters' "Merry Christmas Darling," I'd venture some of my favorite songs (and the artists who recorded them) to be the following:
- "Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer" by Gene Autry (1949; I've noticed that X-mas radio stations play a later version by him)
- "Do You Hear What I Hear?" by Bing Crosby (1963)
- "The Little Drummer Boy" by The Harry Simeone Chorale (1958; I also noticed some stations play a re-recorded version by them from around 1965 on another label)
- "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" by John & Yoko & Plastic Ono Band with the Harlem Community Choir (1971)
- "Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney (1979)
- "It Doesn't Have To Be That Way" by Jim Croce (1973)
- "Sleigh Ride" by Leroy Anderson & His Pops Concert Orchestra (1950)
- "Deck The Halls With Boughs Of Holly" by Percy Faith (runners-up: Nat King Cole, The Robert Shaw Chorale)
- "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" by Jimmy Boyd (1952)
- "Shepherd's Song" (from Bach: Christmas Oratorio) by Robert Shaw & The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra
- "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" by Bruce Springsteen (1975)
- "Feliz Navidad" by Jose Feliciano (1970)
- "Step Into Christmas" by Elton John (1973)
- "Lo, How A Rose E'er Blooming" by The Robert Shaw Chorale (runner-up: The Mormon Tabernacle Choir)

Again, that's just a few . . .

Back
Top Bottom