Post A&M airplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMK

Contributor
The "damned" thread I started (hmmm...that doesn't sound quite right :rolleyes: ) got me thinking again about what I heard on the radio by Sergio after he left A&M. As I've mentioned before, Sergio continued to chart locally in SLC throughout the 70s far higher than he evidently did elsewhere, but I'm curious what the rest of you heard on the radio from the Bell and Elektra years. Here's what made it onto the air in the various places I was living (mostly SLC, San Francisco and Portland):

Love Music
Where Is the Love?
Hey Look at the Sun
Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing
If I Ever Lose This Heaven*
Emorio
The Real Thing

*I remember being in NYC around the time this album came out and there was an ad for the album saying "Featuring the hit 'Davy'", but I never heard that tune on the radio.

....and that's all I heard until "Never Gonna Let You Go" broke. Others?

Around here in Philly, there was "Love Music" and maybe "Where Is The Love". A few other tracks from LOVE MUSIC were featured as "Album Of The Week" tracks on the station I listened to, and then...

(crickets chirping)...nothing heard from Sergio for nearly a decade on the radio. At least on the stations I listened to and worked at.

Like Mike said, I'd heard "Never Gonna Let You Go" a number of times before I even made the connection, having no clue it was Sergio Mendes at all.

Harry
...having lost touch with Sergio for a long time, but back now, online...

JMK said:
....and that's all I heard until "Never Gonna Let You Go" broke. Others?

That's all Detroit ever played, far as I know. Local jazz station WJZZ would occasionally play some album tracks from his 70s albums (like "Home Cooking") but that's all I remember.

As for it being a "Damned" thread, ask Mr. Bill. The Damned were one of the first punk groups, and recorded for IRS Records. :D

our esteemed leader Rudy said:
...As for it being a "Damned" thread, ask Mr. Bill. The Damned were one of the first punk groups, and recorded for IRS Records. :D

Hehehehehehee! Indeed, but The Black Album was a licensed LP (from Chiswick, UK) and (I believe) their third career LP -- they'd broken up and reunited at least once before their US I.R.S. release. In fact, it was the only US domestic Damned LP for many years (though imports abounded in the bins in those days).

70012.gif

--Mr Bill

Jeff:

The list you mention did, indeed, get airplay in the San Francisco Bay Area, following Sergio's A&M career, with the inclusion of Where To Now Saint Peter, which got quite a bit of airplay on KLOK in the mid '70s.

Davy, along with If I Ever Lose This Heaven and All In Love Is Fair, was apparently a huge hit in the Philippines -- all three of them were, from what I've read. As a matter of fact, I've been thinking about starting a thread based on "Mendes" hits from other countries. Perhaps Elektra was going on the strength of Davy being a foreign hit to sell the record? A long shot, but it's possible.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom