• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Press Conference in Tokyo Oct. 15, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm amazed at how much press this is getting. There's a short piece in today's Los Angeles Times - according to this one he is 'still looking' for a partner....

October 16, 2008

Carpenter seeks new partner

Richard Carpenter, of the Carpenters, says he is ready to make a comeback.

All he needs is a partner.

Carpenter, who with his sister Karen was one the most successful pop acts of the 1970s, announced on his 62nd birthday Wednesday in Tokyo that he is planning to get back into the music business.

He said he will help to produce and perform on a tribute album of Carpenter covers due out late next year, then on a Christmas album and finally a solo collection of largely original material. He said he still prefers singing duets and is looking for a female vocalist partner.

The Carpenters' phenomenal rise to the top of the pop world, with such hits as "Close to You" and "Yesterday Once More," came to an abrupt end in 1983, when Karen died of a heart attack at age 32 following complications from an eating disorder.

From the Associated Press

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-quick16-2008oct16,0,4991331,print.story

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
This statement above:
"So I've been looking for one who could inspire me, who would be able to cut these things; I've been looking for years, so now I think I'm ready to go."

That makes me feel that he is finally cutting ties with everything Carpenters. He has found someone to work with and this will mark the end of Carpenters and the start of his new career with this new artist. That is what I am getting from the articles.

Chris -

I'm not so sure. In the same articles, he's talking about being happy to relaunch the Carpenters name. Why would you do that, when all that's coming is a tribute album, a solo album and a new album with a mystery alto singer? I hope against all hope that it's Mindi. How fantastic would that be? And he makes reference to Karen and how she would love to have been there to see the kids.

He says he looks forward to performing with his daughter Mindi. The high school junior has been singing for most of her 16 years; her proud father has accompanied her on the piano during many performances at the Carpenter Performing Arts Center in Long Beach and the Fred Kavli Theater at the Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza. He will do so again on October 25th while Mindi sings in alto (as did Karen, who passed away in 1983).

:)

I guess the reason I felt that way was because didn't someone on here recently report that Richard was working with an artist, (a male) in CA. The post is somewhere on here.

Oh, here it is
http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9368

That sounds more reasonable that it's Mindi, because Richard has already worked with so many other artists like Akiko and others, so it's hard to believe he has been searching for someone else other than his own family. If he was picking an unknown than it would almost feel like he was working with yet another artist in the line of Akiko, Scott Grimes, Veronique, etc..been there done that. So now the more I think about it Mindi seems to be more probable.

I guess the reason I felt that way was because didn't someone on here recently report that Richard was working with an artist, (a male) in CA.

Male singers can't be alto though Chris :wink:

Sakura, I wanted to say THANK YOU for your post and pictures of Richard and keeping us all up to date, you are sooo good at that and I appreciate your posts!!

:thumbsup:
This is the closest I could find to a jumping up and down emoticon :laugh: :goodie:

My pleasure.

If Yuka was available, she could have shared inside info. NHK should have asked her earlier.

I saw this news on American TV site. Does anyone see the clip on TV?

Sakura

I've been trying to watch Entertainment Tonight, but I "watch" it with the mute button on because I really can't stand their type of reporting. A lot of it is sensationalistic or outright trash! So, I might have missed it.

What did you see it on, Sakura?

Marilyn

thestitch said:
I've been trying to watch Entertainment Tonight, but I "watch" it with the mute button on because I really can't stand their type of reporting. A lot of it is sensationalistic or outright trash! So, I might have missed it.

What did you see it on, Sakura?

Marilyn

WJBF-TV, GA site has an article "Richard Carpenter Is Looking For New Singing Partner". They may air.

If ET aired, some of members would have noticed it or recorded it at Tivo(?), I think.

Sakura

There are a lot of questions in the air but this is good news to see him back in the music business. I'm actually quite suprised to read and see all this, I always thought he retired from the music business at this point.

After reading all these articles, I don't get the impression that it's Mindi but I could be wrong.

This statement above:
"So I've been looking for one who could inspire me, who would be able to cut these things; I've been looking for years, so now I think I'm ready to go."

That makes me feel that he is finally cutting ties with everything Carpenters. He has found someone to work with and this will mark the end of Carpenters and the start of his new career with this new artist. That is what I am getting from the articles.

I tend to agree with you Chris. I think Richard is finally putting the Carpenters to rest and will start everything a fresh. He said this singer will inspire him, so maybe it's a veteran alto singer known already.
I can't wait to find out.

mstaft said:
I'd love to hear a Carps tribute with Karen's friends- Olivia, Dionne, etc.
The Asian artists thing is cool, too. I hope some of this stuff is Rchard solo on vocals as well. These days, I'd probably take anything...

I was thinking Dionne Warwick too or maybe Petula Clark.
Other possiblities would be Melissa Manchester, Toni Tennille, Florence Larue, Corrine Drewery and Pauline Wilson

^^ GREAT choices- love Pauline Wilson and Corrine Drewery in particular. Richard could ask McCartney as well, as he was a fan of theirs as well as an influence.

mstaft said:
^^ GREAT choices- love Pauline Wilson and Corrine Drewery in particular. Richard could ask McCartney as well, as he was a fan of theirs as well as an influence.

McCartney? as in Sir Paul McCartney?

Amy Winehouse or Duffy may be another good choice, but Winehouse has too much baggage with her. I can totally hear Winehouse singing those Carpenter classics with her own AMY twist

Some may have seen a Japanese who was with Richard at photo site.

Backed by a Japanese team led by producer Naoki Tachikawa, Carpenter plans
to produce and release in the second half of 2009 an album, Carpenters
Around the World, covers of Carpenters songs mostly by Asian pop stars.
(The Australian, Oct. 16)

Last night I was hearing net radio. I heard interviews with Olivia and Dionne. Dionne talked about her favorite song(s?).

If American producer could suggest another plan, U.S. version may be released with different performers.

I'd love to hear Olivia, Dionne, Sir Paul, Sir Cliff, Gibb brothers, Barry Manilow and k.d.lang for international project. (Sir Cliff covered "Yesterday Once More". He was with Karen at Hollywood Night.)
I'd love to hear Tatsuro Yamasita, Mariya Takeuchi and Kazumasa Oda for Japanese project.
Tatsuro sometimes plays/talks about Carpenters. I read that he wrote something about Carpenters years ago.
John Bettis wrote lyrics for Oda's songs. (I'd like to listen to the songs.)

The name of another producer, Tetsuya Komuro was mentioned in articles about Richard. A few days ago I checked his myspace page. He is writing in English.
something like;
Richard & family and I(Komuro) were taking good time and space. As producer with Naoki Tachikawa, I am going to support Carpenters of 21th century.

How will 3 producers produce the album?
Tachikawa is planning, Richard is producing, Komuro is supporting?

Sakura

mstaft said:
Yes, Sir Paul.

And you really think he would want to be the other 1/2 of the Carpenters?

Besides Richard needs a lead female voice. She's not an alto, but I was also thinking of Lani Hall or Bonnie Bowden from Brasil 77

It was rumored a while ago that Richard was working with (or going to) Laura Brannigan. I wonder if the new partner is already in the public eye.

goodjeans said:
It was rumored a while ago that Richard was working with (or going to) Laura Brannigan. I wonder if the new partner is already in the public eye.

Laura Branigan would of been a good fit. She left us way too early.
This just made me think of someone else.

Melissa Manchester or Astrud Gilberto or maybe even Flora Purim. That would be very interesting. I love her days in Chick's Return to Forever band

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom