• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

"Promise of a Fisherman"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually the version of "Everlasting Love" I heard was by ROBERT KNIGHT...!! :freak:

The first version of that song ever recorded (1967) and using that "High-Pitched Whistlin' Thingy"... Sounds very much like Carl Carlton's version recorded in late-1974, probably because the same musicians play on both; I think they were first recorded in Memphis, then recorded in Nashville, featuring the same studio guys which played in both cities in each different era... :neutral:inkshield:

Dave

...Back to the record store--I like BOTH! :nut:

Am I hearing things or did Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77 use that "High-Pitched Whistlin' Thingy" again? This time I think I hear it on "Killing Me Softly", from their first Bell LP, Love Music...

Kind of on a "Bell Binge", listening to both Sergio Mendes albums, The Partridge Family, as well as "One-Shots", such as Vicki Lawrence, Gary Glitter, Bobby Doyle and Rodney Allen Rippy...--And Ricky Segall and the Segalls...!! :nut:

Dave

--"What Kind Of Noise Do You Make...?" :tongue: --"Take Life A Little Easier" :badteeth:

Portland said:
...All I remember on that tune is (the Fender) Rhodes, but I'll go back and listen...

Actually the Rhodes Electric Piano kind'a drowns it out... That "Bell-like Sound" is really more noticable on Sergio's Love Music-successor, Vintage '74; on a track called, "Voce Abusou", and I think I even also hear it on "The Waters Of March"; give that a listen, too, "J"...! :D

'Course what's unusual is that THERE IS a synthesizer used; Ian Underwood makes that "unusual appearance" on a Sergio Mendes Record/Bell Album/Bones Howe Production & Sound/Bob Alcivar Arrangement/Wally Heider Recorders--you get the picture... :goofygrin:

Dave

Dave, the Vintage 74 "bell" sounds are definitely the synth--I can't recall right now if it was an ARP or a MOOG, but it isn't the same thing as "Promise of a Fisherman." BTW, Ian Underwood lives (at least part time, anyway) in Oregon now. My longtime engineer has done some sessions with him. I think he's in Lake Oswego or West Linn (where former A&Mer Gino Vannelli is, too).

Dave said:
--And Ricky Segall and the Segalls...!! :nut:

Do you own the Ricky Segall album? I know him - he's a wonderful guy, now in his thirties and married with kids....I'd love to get my hands on a copy of that record, if only to scare all of us....!

Yes, Ricky Segall's album is pretty good; decent Wes Farrell/Coral Rock Production-plus-usual session musician backing... "What Kind Of Noise" and "When I Grown Up" are typical VERY pre-teen kiddie fare... And get Johnny Whittaker (of Family Affair-fame) featuring music from SIGMUND & THE SEA MONSTERS and a few"original" tunes with the same Production/Backing, too!

Er, Good Luck finding it...! :wink:

Dave

..."Packaged Together, for Convenience!" :twitchy: :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom