• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Proposition for TJB fans who record vinyl to CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveK

I know several of you here at the forum have the capabilities to make some pretty nice sounding CDs from your vinyl collections. I'm not sure if this would be violating any copyright laws or anything (I don't think it would since no money would be changing hands) but I had a proposition for someone who would be willing to make a trade for a couple of LPs on CD. I have the "Dee Jay Sampler" LP in both mono and stereo editions, both in excellent shape. If someone has a way to tweak the sound of the vinyl a little to get a really clean sounding CD copy and is interested in obtaining one or both of these promo sampler LPs, I would be more than willing to trade. I would trade either, or both editions of the Sampler for CD copies of the mono Sampler and "Warm".
If anyone is interested please e-mail me at [email protected].
If anyone at the forum finds this offer to be unethical in any way, I apologize. I'm just soooo tired of waiting to get this stuff on CD.
Thanks. :angel:

Dave - you only need a turntable and some relatively low-priced software to get decent results on your own. Watch GEMM or Dusty Groove for good copies of your favorites, plug a patch cord from the "tape out" jacks on your stereo into your computer sound card, run the "click and crackle removal" function on your CDmaking software (which will come bundled with your CD burner) and you're in.

It used to be you needed hundreds or even thousands of dollars of equipment to get listenable results, but that's not really true anymore. You CAN still spend that kind of money, but the latest low-end programs are really pretty impressive from what I've heard.

It is very, very WRONG for an artist or record company to prohibit someone from making copies of a product that isn't even available anymore. I don't care what the law is. It's wrong! If these people are too stupid to realize how much money they're losing by not transferring their vinyl LPs to CD, it's their loss. And they deserve to get screwed for it. We are the consumers, the ones who made them famous in the first place. They have a lot of gall to deny us--the ones who bought their original product on vinyl--the right to own their product on CD, no matter how it's transferred.

Sorry, I know I'm on a soapbox and am venting, but this topic makes me very angry. Copyright laws have gotten insane. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but I wish this law could be amended somehow.

This thread reminds me of a thread about 2 years ago when many of us began our crusade of TJB CDs. First off, to Manifan, noone says you can't own CDRs of TJB vinyl. Just that you can't make them commercially available. With many people, it's a moral issue. Believe me, brother, I feel your pain and have gotten on my soapbox many times about the pitiful lack of TJB CDs out there. Neil even put a request page on the forum hoping that the powers that be would see it and respond to our wishes. So far all of our efforts have failed, although there is rumor that something is in the works. Herb owns all of his masters and the rights to them, so hopefully he will put reissues out on CD. All we can do is wait. It's interesting though how varied Herb's fans are. Everyone here at the Corner, I'm sure, would buy reissues the moment they were released. Yet "Whipped Cream" and "The Lonely Bull" were in print on CD for 14 years and yet many never bought it and are now paying anywhere from $50-200 per copy on eBay. The Japanese discs that were never released in the US can sell for as much as $500. "Going Places", which has been available for the better part of 14 years as a Japanese import, also fetches a hefty price on eBay. So the powers that be and the fans who didn't buy these discs when they were available share the same oblivion. As for the ones that haven't been released anywhere, damn shame. But Herb has the final say on CD releases and he is definitely not stupid. Only he can say why he hasn't indulged us with quality reissues of his work. But insulting him isn't the answer and won't sit well with the rest of us here. We all want TJB reissues, but at the same time, we respect Herb and tend to be careful how we show our enthusiasm.........

David,
being politically correct, online........

I'd like to see Herb's back catalog available commercially, and I will happily pay for these reissues when they're available. Meanwhile, if you want to make CDRs for your own use -- or to give copies to your friends -- have at it. Just remember it's not legal to sell them.

One day when the time is right the Alpert catalog will be reissued, bonus 45s and all. I'm sure a lot of thought and preparation will go into it, so I'm content for now with my vinyl and the CDs I've managed to pick up before they went out of print.
JB

hi, I just red the topic on transfering vinyl to CD-R I talked to my friend who is a lawyer and they told me you can make a CD-R copy as long as it is for your self ONLY!!!!!!!!! and not sell it. and my lawyer friend is a lawyer for 20 years and also trade, but as harry said it is against the forum
policy . if you want a good software
you can go over to best buy and get what I got, it is called audio cleaning lab 2004 by magix
bob

You know, instead of publicly announcing that you have CD-Rs to sell to the world, you can always e-mail individuals and see if they're interested in swapping music. I like to think that there are always a way around legal issues. Been around government folks too much, I guess. :D

Capt. Bacardi
...packing for vacation online...

Hello: My name is Marty and I am new to the forum. I am 49 now and have been a TJB fan pretty much 40 years :) I am also a drummer of 38 years and have been influenced in many ways by Nick Ceroli, which I am sorry to hear passed away in recent years. I have all the original vinyl, stereo and mono versions. I have several original 45's with picture sleeves, including the original Lonely Bull on the early A&M Label. I have created a 8 foot long bar in my basement and on the bar top I have created a historical collage of the TJB and Herb solo and laminated the top. Many people ask me why I've done this considering the rock and roller that I am. Simply put, TJB music was the first music I truly loved as a youth, and remains very influencial in my music career today. I also hope that career spanning set of reissues comes out before it is too late. Herb, if you are reading this, THE TIME IS NOW! But, I will always have my vinyl!!

Hurrikane said:
Hello: My name is Marty and I am new to the forum. I am 49 now and have been a TJB fan pretty much 40 years :) I am also a drummer of 38 years and have been influenced in many ways by Nick Ceroli, which I am sorry to hear passed away in recent years. I have all the original vinyl, stereo and mono versions. I have several original 45's with picture sleeves, including the original Lonely Bull on the early A&M Label. I have created a 8 foot long bar in my basement and on the bar top I have created a historical collage of the TJB and Herb solo and laminated the top. Many people ask me why I've done this considering the rock and roller that I am. Simply put, TJB music was the first music I truly loved as a youth, and remains very influencial in my music career today. I also hope that career spanning set of reissues comes out before it is too late. Herb, if you are reading this, THE TIME IS NOW! But, I will always have my vinyl!!

Welcome to the forum! If you would like to share some photos of your collage with us, they'd certainly be a welcome addition to our gallery.

BTW, Herb certainly has his place in the rock world, having produced Jan & Dean, and co-writing and producing Sam Cooke's hit WONDERFUL WORLD.

Dan

Hurrikane said:
I have created a 8 foot long bar in my basement and on the bar top I have created a historical collage of the TJB and Herb solo and laminated the top.

Pictures, man...pictures! :D

And welcome aboard from a fellow Michigander. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom