• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Q Records?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
Hi Everyone!

Been a while since I've been able to get online with this darn virus that attacked my system, and I might be kicked off at any minute, but had to share this tidbit of information with my fellow Mendes fans...

While surfing the Internet in the flight attendant lounge the other day, I came across a site that lists recording engineers and projects they are currently working on. That's when this caught my eye:

Sergio Mendes...Current album in production...Q records

This is all it says; nothing more, but it's an interesting and hopeful bit of information. In turn, I searched the Internet for "Q Records", found a couple of sites, but no information about Sergio recording with them.

I guess we keep our fingers crossed and wait!

Hope to be back online on a regular basis very soon...I'm suffering "A&M Corner" withdrawls! Also hope everyone is doing well and getting ready for Summer...I know we are! :)

Jon

IIRC Q Records is Quincy Jones' label, which last I remember was distributed by WEA. Mike B or another still in the biz can correct me on this -- who does what to who these days in the music industry is too much for one to keep up with...

But this raises the question of "is this good or bad?" Does it mean Sergio is co-producing with Quincy or is Q letting the experienced SM run his own show? Is Q even involved? Given the names of the artists mentioned in the upcoming project it is likely Q will be involved in some way and may even be a benefit to SM breaking onto the charts again and making headway on Urban charts/stations. I guess we'll see.

--Mr Bill

Qwest was Quincy's label, distributed by Warner. I don't know if Qwest is still active, and there's no telling if he's started another new label venture, which is possible.

Speaking of labels, Arista just laid off over 100 people on Tuesday, since Arista is being folded into BMG. And a few weeks ago, Rhino fell victim to the same fate: except for a couple of persons (like remastering engineer Bill Inglot), all of the remaining original Rhino staff has been laid off, and Rhino is further absorbed into WSM (Warner Special Marketing).

Rudy said:
Qwest was Quincy's label, distributed by Warner. I don't know if Qwest is still active, and there's no telling if he's started another new label venture, which is possible.

I was wondering about that myself not too long ago, whether Qwest was still in existence or not. If it is, I wouldn't have a clue who's still left on the roster aside from Quincy himself, as most of the Qwest acts have retired from performing or moved on to other labels.

The listing simply says "Q Records" without further information. An Internet search for "Q Records" brings up several different sites; one of them being a Punk store out of (I think) London. I'm sure this is not the label in reference to Sergio. Besides, I thought he'd been signed to what remains of A&M Records. Maybe the CD is being recorded in one of the "Q Record" studios. If so, the CD could still be released on the A&M label.

In any case, he's not recording this week...the group is performing at the Blue Note in Japan! :wink:

Jon

brasil_nut said:
The listing simply says "Q Records" without further information. An Internet search for "Q Records" brings up several different sites; one of them being a Punk store out of (I think) London. I'm sure this is not the label in reference to Sergio. Besides, I thought he'd been signed to what remains of A&M Records. Maybe the CD is being recorded in one of the "Q Record" studios. If so, the CD could still be released on the A&M label.

In any case, he's not recording this week...the group is performing at the Blue Note in Japan! :wink:

Jon

Dear Jon,

Nice to be back online.
I missed your online informations a lot!

Quincy Jones is currently producing in Rome (Italy) a followup project of the famous 1985 WE ARE THE WORLD Video/Record project. BTW, the WE ARE THE WORLD project was recorded and video-taped in the A&M recording studios. The new Quincy project is called ‘WE ARE THE FUTURE’.

I agree with you, lets crossed our fingers about a new recording by Sergio.

With, or without the help of Quincy or Black Eyed Peas leader Will.I.am.
Sergio is very much capable to produce his own music.

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil

I have a two-CD compilation on the Q Records label, distributed by Atlantic Records. It's called "Till Then". It contains music from the World War II era. It was released in conjunction with a program on the History Channel.

rmos said:
I have a two-CD compilation on the Q Records label, distributed by Atlantic Records. It's called "Till Then". It contains music from the World War II era. It was released in conjunction with a program on the History Channel.

This is an interesting turn of events! Almost makes me wonder if Sergio's new project isn't another compilation with historic info added to the mix! :wink:

Seriously, seeing as he's doing the old songs on stage again (Roda, Cinnamon & Clove, Look Around, Lapinha, etc.), it would be a dream to see him update and record these songs again with his current group. Something like the updated version of "Mas Que Nada" on Arara, which in my opinion, was well done.

But alas...it's just a pipe dream! Let's just keep our fingers crossed and hope he releases something soon.

Jon

Hi All,

Can someone help me out on this:

The remake of "Mas Que Nada" was sung by Ana... and this is the only song she ever sang for Sergio. WHY her???

trevor

I just did a search on Q Records in our catalog, and they have a grand total of 13 releases out. The most interesting of which is the Original Broadway Cast Recording of "Footloose."

They do have one Brasilian offering ("Rio Wave" by Romero Lubambo) and a Grover Washington tribute disk.

This does not bode well for Sergio's new record getting mass exposure, but then again he's probably not exactly expecting to top the charts at this point anyway.

All this is assuming there isn't some other Q Records out there. With today's proliferation of labels and artist-owned companies, anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom