• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Quiet Nights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

The SM album "Quiet Nights" (on the Philips label) seems to be the only "pre A&M" album that hasn't been released on CD. You can see it on B.J. Major's site, and although the scan isn't very clear, it's obvious that the cover shown is a U.S. release.

I was just wondering if anybody here who has it could describe it a little (e.g., is it a jazz trio or a larger group?) Many thanks in advance and I apologize if this has already been discussed.

:D Steve :D

It's actually a licensed US release of a set recorded in Brasil. It's a very nice album that, combo-wise, I'd place somewhere between the Bossa Rio Sextet and the orchestral Atlantic albums. The most obvious difference is the consistent use of vibes. Sergio remembered **nothing** about this recording when I asked him about it. It did, indeed, show up on some international CD databases several years ago and I ordered it, but Dance Moderno came instead. :evil:

The SM album "Quiet Nights" (on the Philips label) seems to be the only "pre A&M" album that hasn't been released on CD. You can see it on B.J. Major's site, and although the scan isn't very clear, it's obvious that the cover shown is a U.S. release.

I was just wondering if anybody here who has it could describe it a little (e.g., is it a jazz trio or a larger group?) Many thanks in advance and I apologize if this has already been discussed.

Hi Steve!

I have it, but haven't played it in years. It was released on Philips Records (PHS 600-263/PHM 200-263 stereo/mono), which was at the time, a division of Mercury Record Productions.

The tracks are: Desafinado, One Note Samba, Morning Of The Carnival (Manha De Carnaval), Meditacao (Meditation), The Tower, O Peixe, Quiet Nights (Corcovado), Jazz "N" Samba (So Danco Samba), Insensatez (How Insensitive), Amor Em Paz, Infinity, Abraco A Sergio.

As you can see, Sergio likes to re-visit a lot of these titles, which we know from other albums. I'll give it a listen, then be back with more info. BTW - Capitol Records re-issued Cannonball Adderly and The Bossa Rio Sextet with Sergio Mendes also as "Quiet Nights" - Capitol SF-699.

JMK said:
It's actually a licensed US release of a set recorded in Brasil. It's a very nice album that, combo-wise, I'd place somewhere between the Bossa Rio Sextet and the orchestral Atlantic albums. The most obvious difference is the consistent use of vibes.

This is an accurate description, yes. A great album. It has a pleasing sound with a nice combination of Jazz, Samba and Bossa Nova rythms. And, as Jeff mentioned, an emphasis on the use of vibes -- one of those Mendes twists -- which adds a nice touch.

JMK said:
Sergio remembered **nothing** about this recording when I asked him about it...

This is absolutely correct. Same here. Sergio had very little recollection of this album at all.

As a matter of fact, Gracinha, whose solo album made it onto CD late last year, didn't even know it had been released until someone asked her to autograph a copy!! When I expressed appreciation for her solo version of "Ultima Batucada" she said, "Didn't we do that on Horizonte Aberto?" I said, "Yes, but I'm referring to your solo version." "Really?" she laughed. "Thanks...I didn't remember recording that!"

As we've mentioned before, when you're musician, it's hard to remember recordings of old. After a while, although they enjoy what they do, it all boils down to just another gig.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom