📣 News R.I.P. Burt Bacharach

Just saw breaking news about the death of Burt Bacharach. Initial AP news story mentions several performers of his tunes but not the Carpenters.

This is such sad news. I saw Burt in Billings, Montana when he played the grand opening concert for the new Alberta Bair Theater in the early ‘80s. It was one of my favorite concerts ever. I always wished I could see him again. There will never be another writer like him.

Even though he lived a very long and full life, it still is just as sad, because of how much he gave to this world. In fact, just last night I was watching his BBC documentary, and I was thinking that I should write him a fan letter because he was probably not going to live that much longer. Interesting coincidence.

Anyway, rest in peace Sir Bacharach, thank you for all the wonderful music.

I'm saddened by this news but thankfully I have almost all of his A&M albums in one form or another and I can play many of his songs on the trumpet he will forever Fondly be remembered and honored here in my home Rest in Peace Mr Bacharach. His family are in my thoughts and prayers

Giving his advanced age and how frail he seemed the last few times he's done interviews, it wasn't a surprise. Not that it hurts any less. He is one of the last great pop composers to come from the Brill Building era.

We'll have an official obit posted here this weekend.

R.I.P. Burt.

I am joining you all in mourning Burt Bacharach. I heard the news this morning- what a life to leave behind. We'll remember you always, Burt. Rest in peace.

For me, Burt was the greatest American pop composer from the last half of the 20 century. I have a couple personal memories of seeing Burt in person, both times from either the late 1980s or early 1990s. After a special screening of the film Butch Cassidy in La Jolla, Burt sat by a piano and discussed his career and the music from the film. As he left the stage he exited from a side aisle and I shouted out "What do you think of the music of Jobim? and he said it's great." And then at the Del Mar Fairgrounds there was a terrific Brazilian music show by Airto Moreira and Flora Purim. Afterwards I saw him chatting with Airto. Later in life I learned that Burt had a great appreciation of Brazilian music and he said that it had a definite influence in his musical life.

I got to thinking that Burt indirectly "saved" A&M records in the early 1970s. What do I mean by that? Well, by late 1969 A&M records top sellers, the TJB and Brasil 66, had a steep drop in sales. However, Burt's composition of "Close to You" performed by the Carpenters in 1970 created a dramatically new trajectory for A&M. This massive hit and the immense popularity of the Carpenters in the 1970s put A&M records back on top financially and in the musical spotlight once again.

God bless and R.I.P. Burt.

The Bacharach/David team had their first two #1 singles with A&M--Herb Alpert's "This Guy's In Love With You," and Carpenters' "Close to You." And he also left us with seven albums recorded for the label--Reach Out, Make It Easy on Yourself, Burt Bacharach, Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid (Soundtrack), Living Together, Futures, and Woman. And despite never having hit #1 during the era, his most important work had to be with Dionne Warwick, one of the few vocalists talented enough to pull off the sophisticated and often difficult compositions the Bacharach/David team would pen together.

On March 12 & 13, 2004 Mr. Bacharach did engagements with the Knoxville Symphony Orchestra. It was a fun and exciting occasion, largely due to his generosity spending time with fans. My friends and I met him before the first show. Naturally we had some album covers for signing and took some photos. He "challenged" us to a scavenger hunt. Bring a copy of his then-new collaborative album with Ron Isley and this would be our "ticket" to the post show back stage party. Off to the nearby favorite music store we went, then to dinner, then the show. It was an amazing program, with the orchestra and singers doing as many of his best known works as possible for the allotted time. He certainly lead a long an fulfilling life and made a volume of musical contributions it will be hard for anyone else to duplicate. R.I.P. with much gratitude, JB

I've put together a 37-song playlist of selected highlights (about two-CDs worth) from Bacharach's seven A&M albums. Something to play throughout the day tomorrow.

Based on my playlist here:

Threads tagged with our Burt Bacharach tag offer additional reading, including newly refreshed AotW entries for Bacharach's seven original albums.

Back
Top Bottom