Randy Badazz on "Rise"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

I received a couple of e-mails from Randy Badazz in the past couple of days. I'm sure everyone by now knows he's Herb's nephew (actually Randy Alpert). He had just checked out my site (see the www button below) and suggested a slight revision on how the song "Rise" came about.

I had interviews by Herb that said that Randy wanted Herb doing disco versions of the TJB tunes, before someone else does it. So I had put that in at my site. However, Randy has a different version of how it all happened:

Hi Bill:

Firstly, you certainly have a great site and a lot of time and love
went into creating it. I have one revision that should be made to your
"Rise" page; My partner Andy Armer and I were producing funk records
for many people during 1977-79 and one day in late December 1978 Herb
called me personally and asked if I would work up some dance versions of the "Lonely Bull", "South of the Border", and one other song which I have forgotten. I did not want to do them initially and thought it to be in
poor taste. Andy and I decided to write some new songs "Rise" and
"Rotation" and we submitted them along with a version of both "The Lonely Bull" and "South of the Border" to Herb.

Herb liked the "Rise" song and the "Lonely Bull" version (which was
actually pretty good). We booked a recording session for the first week
of February '79 and Herb wanted to try the "Lonely Bull" first. We only spent
about 45 minutes with live musicians and it just wasn't happening so
Herb suggested we move on to the "Rise" song which seemed to click
immediately.

Bottom line is that Herb wanted to do a disco album which was not
what we had wanted to do. We were funkers not disco people which is why "Rise" is essentially a funk record with a nice melody. We did have the tempo originally a bit faster and Herb suggested we slow it down a bit.

"Rotation" was cut by just Andy and myself playing and programming all of the instruments. Herb came in 2 days later and played some lovely
trumpets. If you notice, "Rotation" is also not a disco song. We never
wrote or produced any disco records because neither of us danced nor
particularly liked disco records and besides, the Bee Gee's were the
disco kings and we could never come close to competing with their genius
and their great records.

Thanks for listening,
Randy Badazz

I wrote him back thanking him for the info, and suggested that he stop by the Corner here, and maybe try to get Herb to pop in, and he said:

I am very aware of the A&M Corner and think that it is fabulous what you all have done. Herb too often visits and is very touched. I've e/mailed Neil Hoodoo many times over the years and think he's done a superb job.

Looks like we're getting to be rather popular now. :wink:

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Letta Mbulu - Letta

Thanks for that insightful information Captain. And a thank you to Randy Badazz as well for providing it. We just love these little tidbits of information -- it's what we live for!

Harry
...ever grateful, online...

I wonder if Herb has poked around enough to see the AOTW discussions on his various TJB albums. Maybe it would be cool to print them up and send them to him somehow.

Thanks, Capt. for some great info.
I've got a novelty promo 45 from '79 which I believe Randy did, even though his last name isn't mentioned.
It's "Murder in the Gas Line" by Randy Pump and the Gas-O-Lettes (A&M 2159 - same tune mono/stereo). Writing credits go to 'A. Pricehike & Ethyl Burns.'
Might need reissue if there's another fuel crisis.
JB

See? I knew someone was taking notice! Thanks to Captain Bacardi for the info and to Randy Badazz. By the way, Captain, could I persuade you to display his e-mail address so we fans can contact him? :D
-alpertfan, honored that fans' interests are appreciated and enthuzed over!

alpertfan said:
By the way, Captain, could I persuade you to display his e-mail address so we fans can contact him? :D

Sorry, but I don't think that would be appropriate. He was kind enough to e-mail me on some stuff, and I don't want to burn my bridges by giving out his address without his permission. You never know when I may need some info from him in the future. He is working on his own site, but it's not available yet. When that gets done I'll pass it along and you can contact him through there.

Capt. Bacardi
...protecting people's privacy online...

Captain Bacardi,
Fair enough! Thanks for the updates. Will be looking into any new info on the Randy Badazz website. :wink:

Captain,

Thanks so very much for including the wonderful response and explanation from Randy Alpert. I love reading about how songs are inspired and records. Very interesting reading. To Randy, I also thank you for visiting with us and telling us your first hand account of how Rise and Rotation all happened. I must tell you in all sincerity, I love Herb's trumpet and his music. Always have and always will. My first impression of "Rise" was nearly identical to that of Julius Wechter's. I'm not a disco fan and the first thing I heard in "Rise" was that disco sound. As Herb said when he was sitting in the studio with Julius listening to the playback of "Rise", he leaned over and said, "Julius, I think we have a hit record here. What do you think?". Julius replied..."I don't like this song at all!". But, I grew to like it after a half dozen or so playbacks. I also must tell you that if you had told me about what type of song "Rise" was going to be and that you would have a marimba in it, I would have told you that you were out of your mind. A marimba in a dance/disco song? No way! But, in true Herb Alpert/Julius Wechter fashion, they made it work and it's essential to the intregrity of the song, IMHO. Herb keeps doing it, with just a natural flair, it''s mind boggling. The man is truely a musical genius, like Julius was. Thanks Herb. We, your die hard, loyal fans, just can't dislike anything you do.

Warm Wishes,
Tom Wahl :)
Pensacola, Florida

When I first heard "Rise", I thought it was the most romantic song I'd ever heard. I still get tears in my eyes when I hear the bridge between the verses. And Mike Lang's little "gaffe" toward the end just makes it all that much more relaxed of a performance, almost live...

Dan

Uh, after hearing it for nearly almost 24 Years!?, I am still not tired of hearing it. :cool:

Just the right thing to hit me on the radio when I'm driving (though I gotta be on the freeway, or at least a real busy street, going fast, with no traffic jams). :wink:

I have the whole album, too. Herb did more with those 8 songs than most artists do with 12 or more on their LP's. :shock:

And it even makes DEFINITIVE HITS a lot more enjoyable to listen to, too. Though it needs a lot more of the newer stuff, and think by now it gives ME what I need to hear from the earlier years. I cue in "1980" from my my "1980"/"Streetlife" '45' right before "Rise", too. And find another place to cue in "Streetlife" (usually after "Rotation").

Gotta get a Continental Mark IV, or a Mark V, in this case, drive over to a SAFE part of The Detroit River and make that VIDEO. :D

A radio station I first heard it on, actually advised us to make up our own "rapture" when it came out, too. Started one, (In the manner of Grandmaster Flash--Back When Rap was GOOD! :D ) but don't know what happened to it. :confused:

Dave

Gioccho Adesso: "Taps" (That's all I know how to play so far! :laugh: ) on a toy plastic trumpet (Wow! FOUR Valves!) I recently bought! :D

That's not a quarter tone trumpet, is it....don't laugh...there IS such a thing, and it DOES have 4 valves. Don Ellis used to feature them in his orchestra, prominently on"Hey Jude" from the FILLMORE album....

Dan

When I was four or five, I had a plastic toy trumpet with four valves. The other legit trumpet I know of with four valves is the piccolo trumpet, in addition to that quarter-tone.

-= N =-

Rudy said:
When I was four or five, I had a plastic toy trumpet with four valves. The other legit trumpet I know of with four valves is the piccolo trumpet, in addition to that quarter-tone.

Some flugelhorns have 4 valves as well. I really don't know what the 4th valve is for, though.

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Paul McCartney - Back In The U.S.

Just guessing--it could drop the pitch by a 4th or 5th? Is that similar to the thumb-operated valves on some models of trombone?

-= N =-

Here's some more info on my horn:

It has 4 valves, which are more like buttons. Two red, with a pink and blue in between. 'Course it doesn't sound like much of a trumpet, either. Jus' a Cheap, Lil' Plastic Reed! :tongue:

The package came with a few songs on the back, but I kind of tore them trying to get the trumpet out.

When not doing the "Herb Thing" I play along with Brass Ensembles on my Records and CD's, of course. :)

Sorry I don't have a scanner, but I don't don't know how it would fit in there, anyway. :laugh:

Dave

...trying to figure out how to make "Air and Three or Four Valves" play music... :|

Gioccho Adesso: Herb Alpert & TJB "My Heart Belongs To Daddy" Herb Alpert's Ninth A&M SP 4134

...and feeling a "rise" coming on, too... :oops: ...Maybe 'cos of ANNA in FAO...? :?: ...going to my bedroom to...er...practice... :D ...See Ya... :!:

Harry said:
Thanks for that insightful information Captain. And a thank you to Randy Badazz as well for providing it. We just love these little tidbits of information -- it's what we live for!

Harry
...ever grateful, online...

Please let me know if you have any other ??'s about the Rise era..... randy

Hey, Badazz! Long time no speak! :wink: Hope all's well with you,

Hi Everybody:

I appreciate your nice comments regarding the Rise sessions and should any of you have any specific questions regarding that time I would love to answer whatever questions I am able to.

Though the actual recording sessions were held 24 years ago, this coming February, it seems like only a couple of years ago that I was a 21 year old kid being asked to commandeer a live recording session for my legendary uncle Herb. I have nothing but warm memories and nice feelings concerning that place in time and especially during those particular recording sessions. We had great musicians and we had a lot of fun making that album and I guess we touched a lot of people all around the world which is pretty cool too.

I will try to check back here soon so should you have any questions......... start writing.

Best Regards,
randy

I do have one (or two) questions: what have you been up to in the past 24 years? And what became of Andy Armer?

Rudy said:
I do have one (or two) questions: what have you been up to in the past 24 years? And what became of Andy Armer?

Hi Rudy:

Andy and I had hit record throughout Europe and a #1 record in the UK this past May called "Fly By II" performed by the English boy band BLUE. We currently have the #19 song (which was formerly #5) in Germany called "Kimnotyze" which is performed by DJ Tomekk featuring Li'll Kim. 5 years ago we had both an American and worldwide #1 record called "Hypnotize" which was co written and performed by the late Notorious B.I.G. and Puffy Combs. We still write, have fun, and apparently have a few hits along the way.

I have also owned Scream Studios which I started 15 years ago. We've recorded U2, Nirvana, Alanis Morisette, Janet Jackson, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Faith Hill, Ozzy, and on and on.

Thank you for asking.

It was very cool to hear "Hypnotize" in Biggie's sampling of "Rise". It is pretty much the whole song! I wonder if Puffy's interest was a surprise for Herb and Randy?

badazz said:
I appreciate your nice comments regarding the Rise sessions and should any of you have any specific questions regarding that time I would love to answer whatever questions I am able to.

Hi Randy!

Thanks for stopping by. I have a question about a song you and Andy wrote called "Midnight Tango", which appeared on Herb's Blow Your Own Horn album. Some of us have surmised that this album in general consisted of leftover tracks from previous albums. So, was "Midnight Tango" recorded in the Rise or maybe Beyond days, or was it recorded specifically for the Blow Your Own Horn date?

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom