RC court case settled

JAZZ4JEFF

Richard Carpenter, Universal Music Group and A&M Records settled the musician’s lawsuit in which he alleged he was owed royalties for online digital downloads of songs he made with his sister Karen, who died more than three decades ago.

Carpenter, 70, sought more than $2 million in his breach-of-contract suit filed Jan. 11. His sister’s estate also was a plaintiff.

However, attorneys for Carpenter filed court papers on May 10 with Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Samantha Jessner stating that the case was settled. No terms were divulged.

Throughout their career, the singing duo from Downey provided their recording services to A&M, which is now a division of UMG, according to the complaint.

“However, rather than reward the Carpenters’ longstanding loyalty and honor their legacy, defendants have withheld substantial sums owed to the Carpenters,” the suit alleged.

During their 14-year career, the siblings recorded 11 albums as The Carpenters, released 31 singles and starred in five television specials and a television series, the suit states. They were awarded three Grammys and their singles sales have topped 100 million, according to the lawsuit.

Karen Carpenter died in February 1983 in Downey at age 32 of heart failure resulting from complications from anorexia nervosa.

—City News Service

I was thinking that, through taking on the digital download sites and forcing them to pay artists what they rightfully deserve, Richard was doing a service on behalf of other musicians who didn't have the financial capacity to take such action. However, having an undisclosed settlement seems an anti-climax. It seems that more publicity might have forced the money-grabbing sites to be more honest and just. I guess I don't understand the situation fully, though.

A settlement was probably a lot cheaper than giving all the money to the lawyers, and all parties probably agreed not to discuss the terms. The whole thing would probably have been twisted around to make Richard look like a greedy person if it had gone forward....

Interestingly, I noticed one of the more unique compilations featured on Carpenters' Spotify page has (sadly) been removed (the compilation titled, “Close To You,” although others identified it as a retread of the UK “Treasures” collection, containing those controversial remixes...). I wonder if it’s related to the lawsuit?

Back
Top Bottom