• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Request A&M Releases on Hip-O Select

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
Hip-O Select, a unit of Universal, will be offering limited editions of up to 5,000 copies of releases through their web site. These will be albums that should be pulled from the vaults, but perhaps are better marketed on the web, rather than to try to stock them in stores across the country. It seems to me, that this may be a perfect way to get some of our missing A&M gems out on CD. They have a message board and also have an e-mail contact and are requesting suggestions for their releases. I think a strong response from us here at A&M Corner might have some sway with them. I have already sent them an e-mail and posted on their board.

Here is their link: http://www.hip-oselect.com/

This is a copy of Rhino Handmade, which releases limited-edition discs in the same manner. Best to take advantage of this and let them know what we want released. All I can say is: "Let's go make some noise!" :D

I can also think of pestering them about a few Cal Tjader titles (Verve) as well. And since they also control the Chess catalog, this is also a good way to get them to release the rest of those five John Klemmer recordings on Cadet/Concept. :)

Before bombarding their message board with more requests, how about this: pick the top five releases you would like to see reissued by Hip-O! And no fair cheating and saying, "the entire _____ catalog" either. Five albums, that's your limit. :)

I submitted my 5 ideas, but gotta admit I cheated just a little bit.
Here they are:

COUNTRY BOY by Geo. McCurn + bonus non-LP singles
LITTLE GREEN THING by Dave Lewis + singles
PETE JOLLY COMPLETE --- 2 disc-set of SPs 4145, 4184, 3033 + live material omitted from 4184.
CHURLS COMPLETE (SP 4169 & 4233)
TROUBLED TIMES by Jimmie Rodgers (SP 4242) + 4 bonus singles.

Hope we get good results,
JB

I'd like to see as my Top-Five:

1. The Sandpipers -- Besides the First Two albums; Either issued as "Two-Fer's" or Individual Releases

2. Gayle Caldwell -- Celebration Of Life + As a Bonus Track: Song done by The Mystic-Moods Orchestra, which she wrote, but never recorded, but on their LP, she actually sings on; Forgot the name of the song and which M/M/O album it's on!

3. The Checkmates -- Love Is All I've Got To Give + Non-LP Singles and Sonny Charles solo

4. Robin Wilson -- S/T LP and Ain't That Somethin'

5. Punch -- S/T LP + Non-LP Singles

Also hoping for a Good Outcome!

Dave

Here's mine...

1. TJB -- SRO Hopefully a decent master, but I'll take what I can get...

2. RICK WAKEMAN --6 WIVES OF HENRY THE VII

3.MICHEL COLOMBIER -- WINGS

4. HERB ALPERT -- FANDANGO

5. LANI HALL -- SUNDOWWN LADY

I might be dreaming, but I'd really like to see these...

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:

Dan

...or the Captain & Tennille's version "Muskrrrat Love."

--Mr Bill
a little payback in response to "Midnoght at the Iasis" :wink:

In my case it's because my fingers are too fat for my keyboard!

--Mr Bill

I put in a post at their board for an A&M Singles box set, by decade. That would be very unique...especially if they kept them as the mono single mixes and not just album versions arbitrarily picked from whatever was popular.

DAN BOLTON said:
Here's mine...

1. TJB -- SRO Hopefully a decent master, but I'll take what I can get...
2. RICK WAKEMAN --6 WIVES OF HENRY THE VII
3.MICHEL COLOMBIER -- WINGS
4. HERB ALPERT -- FANDANGO

I might be dreaming, but I'd really like to see these...

Thank you, Dan!

Then again, I would have a really difficult time sticking to Neil's "five-title" limit...drat the luck! :shock:

Here are mine:

1. Going Places

2. What Now My Love

3. SRO

4. Hello It's Me

5. Sundown Lady

And for a kicker... Herb Alpert's Ninth! (oops!! one too many!!!)

Jon

Who wasn't smart enough to buy the original TJB CDs when he worked in record store that had them by the dozen...ugh! :oops:

Steve Sidoruk said:
...It seems to me, that this may be a perfect way to get some of our missing A&M gems out on CD. They have a message board and also have an e-mail contact and are requesting suggestions for their releases. I think a strong response from us here at A&M Corner might have some sway with them. I have already sent them an e-mail and posted on their board...

I'm on my way!

Jon

The song written by Gayle Caldwell and on which she appears as vocalist is "Love Token," from the 1969 Mystic Moods Orchestra album LOVE TOKEN on Phillips Records. The track appeared on the SUMMER MOODS compilation in 1972.
SUMMER MOODS was reissued on CD by the Colossus label in 1995 under the title THE BEST OF THE MYSTIC MOODS VOLUME TWO (7243-8-32046-2-5).
JB -- describing another dollar bin CD find, online

BTW,Hip-O Select rolls out its first release April 23rd-a Johnny Burnette package(for much of the CD era,MCA ignored this material and only had crapppy cassette versions of some of this seminal stuff). Up next week-the original Verve material from R&B comeback story of 2003,Howard Tate-now I won't have to pay the big ebay bucks for an album I shunned in 99 cent bins years ago-never knowing about the great material hidden inside. Hip-O is so slavish to the Rhino process that Warner could sue for everything but content but as long as the Universal vault is raide up somehow...so what. Also,they have a message board up but,knowing how Universal eventually deep sixed the Verve board,I don't think they'll leave it up for long. Already,Olivia Newton-John is bringing a ripple of comments-somebody is sure to flame this. Mac

jimac51 said:
Also, they have a message board up but, knowing how Universal eventually deep sixed the Verve board, I don't think they'll leave it up for long. Already, Olivia Newton-John is bringing a ripple of comments-somebody is sure to flame this. Mac

Jim--a few of us have already raided the message board. :D But I agree--there's every chance it could be taken out at any time, so it's best we make all of our noise now.

I have a hunch this Hip-O Select thing may show suits at Uni a thing or two -- especially if they (like Rhino handmade) have a lot of titles sell out rather quickly. It could spell the end for commercial CD production and (finally) unleash support and sales of "music on demand."

--Mr Bill
who hates the choices/options of his cable service's digital packages and hates surfing through 300 channels -- please let us choose our channels "a la carte!"

If they pick the correct titles to reissue, the ones that the hard-core music fans are demanding, it could be very successful. Even if it ends up being a couple of bucks more, at least the music is getting out there. As an additional bonus, they should consider making these recordings for sale as downloads once the CDs have sold out. Any collector who wants the CDs (or better, hopefully, SACDs) will already own them and they can still generate revenue for the more casual music fans who just want a few of the tracks, or anyone who missed the CD releases.

Yeah, and keep 'em coming. This is an update on their news page from this week:

Hip-O Select said:
Thanks for all your suggestions! As those of you who have been poking around the site know, there are many lively discussions on what Select should put out, how it should be packaged, etc. We welcome your suggestions! Keep 'em coming! A number of our upcoming releases have been undertaken as a result of your comments; they are being read and discussed, we can assure you.

I just reminded them of the Bacharach Live album that never saw release on CD or even vinyl in the US. Someone should remind them of the counterpart Sergio Mendes IN CONCERT album - one of the last remaining pieces of that puzzle. If no-one else does, I'll do it later. Another one we might be able to nudge out of them is the rumored third Tamba 4 album.

Harry
...ever hopeful, online...

Hi All!

Here is the content of an e-mail that I just received from Hip-O Select:

Hi Mr. Sidoruk,

We seem to be much on the same wavelength (well, we might need a *little* convincing on the Pete Jolly front... :wink: ). Unfortunately, I discovered that Lani Hall's catalog has reverted to the artist. But a number of your other suggestions are on our target list.
Thanks for the tip, and stay tuned at www.hip-oselect.com. The vault is now open.

Cheers,

-- Subcomandante TT

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 2:47 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RELEASE REQUESTS

Hi!

There is a lot of great A&M Records stuff that have not yet made it to CD.

Julius Wechter & The Baja Marimba Band

Jazz Pianist Pete Jolly had 3 A&M albums

The Sandpipers had several A&M releases

Singer Chris Montez had several hit A&M albums, which were produced by Herb Alpert and had Julius Wechter as musical director.

Singer Lani Hall (Mrs. Herb Alpert) was the lead singer for Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 who had several solo albums on A&M - only her first was released on a Universal sub-label in Japan.

Steve Sidoruk

A&M Fan Network

Cheshire, CT

That Hip-O message board has been down for at least the last few days. The last time I accessed it was a week or so ago, noting that our A&M Records thread had moved on to the second page with a lot of Motown threads eating up the first page. I hope it comes back so we can do some "convincing" on the Jolly front!

Well, anyway, that's encouraging news Steve. Keep us posted.

Harry
...who was pretty sure that Lani's stuff had reverted to the Alperts, online...

Yeah...the Motown stuff could stand to be booted down a few notches. A lot of that stuff is reissued ad nauseum.

I think the people at Hip-O are listening -- at least I hope so.

I say "Hats Off" to any company that pays homage to what could possibly be forgotten classics -- especially in this world of CD technology. :thumbsup:

Thanks for steering us here, Steve.

Jon

Apparently Hip-O Select has just released some CDs that are Japanese releases. I'm wondering if it would be worth their while to repackage the Japanese Brasil '66 releases for the US market. I still come across the occasional person that is unaware of the Japan reissues of these.

Interesting for Hip-O to issue in some form :

Pete Jolly Material

Lani Hall -as the few tracks I have heard are very enjoyable....

Captain & Tennille -original albums -2 on one CD as with Beach Boys re-issues :cool:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom