• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

REVIEW- "TOP OF THE WORLD IV" 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZ4JEFF

The 4th annual "Top of the world concert" is history and a great night was had by all.

Since this event is usually the only appearance of Richard each year, fans look forward to the evening with anticipation for Carpenters news and music.

This year, it was almost a "Carpenters free" evening. Since the theme of the event was Polynesian, Richard put together a program of songs rich in Island heritage. Richard began the concert with Bing Crosby's 1950 hit "Beyond the reef". It was the only solo number from Richard for the evening. His son Colin took over with two Jimmy Boyd numbers, "My Easter present", and "God bless us all". Colin has gained a great deal of poise over the years.

Tracy & Mindy teamed up next for the McGuire Sisters "Sugar time". Their harmony was great! Mindy then went solo for Vera Lynn's "If you love me". She really hit the ball out of the park on this one. Mindy, in my opinion, is the most talented of the family.

Tracy, Mindy & Richard teamed up for Ted Fio Rito's "My little grass shack".

Tracy took her solo turn on Neil Sedaka's "Solitaire". This was the lone Carpenters song (excluding the sing-a-long of "Top of the world"). Tracy has many facial characteristics of Karen and did a nice job on the tune.
Colin & Mindy joined Richard for Bing Crosby's "Mele Kalikimaka". The sing a long of "TOTW" ended a great evening.

The family sounded great and had been rehearsing quite a bit. Nice job!.

As usual, I would have loved more Carpenters tunes (I thought Honolulu city nights would have been included) but it was a really great show for the sold out house.

Thanks very much, Jeff, for your great post! I'm glad you had an interesting evening. Did you get to meet any corner members? How I would love to have attended and perhaps, meet Richard and family.

Marilyn,
who is nursing biopsy incisions

GOODY4SHOES said:
Even more "dumbed-down" than I expected. :thumbsdn:

Glad I stayed home :yawn:

Pray, what exactly is "dumb" about that programme?

I take it you're world-class performer yourself? Or perhaps an experienced arranger? Or you've composed many Grammy-award-winning songs?

Do let us in on your special experience. An experience so perfect that you can slag off a concert without even being there? What a terribly clever chap you are.

I have to say that it was quite an evening! Becky Boxberger and I went together and had a real blast!

Sitting with Richard's family and associates was a real treat, especially considering the fact that even though it was a "black-tie/Hawaiian" theme, the friends and family were actually quite casual.

I think Jeff said it best, the evening was incredible, and I must say that out of the three kids that sang, Colin seemed to have the best overall pitch and timing. He's quite animated with his hands when he performs, and looks like a miniature Richard! There is certainly depth in Tracy's voice and a lot of strength. And Mindi is of course quite the character as usual.

At one point, Taylor (who was sitting at our table) left during the dessert. And Richard, who didn't seem to have a dessert fork of his own sneaks over to her plate and takes her fork, looks up and laughs saying "My name's on the building and I can't even get a fork--go figure!" He was quite the character off stage.

Below are just a couple of the pics we took, one of me with Becky, and another with the three of us:

563718459_l.jpg
Chris_Richard_and_Becky_03_11_06.sized.jpg

Oh, Chris, you lucky so-and-so!! LOL To actually sit WITH the family. WOW! I would guess that with 5 kids Richard would HAVE to have a great sense of humor! Thanks for the wonderful pics.

As an aside: Kudos to Tony Currie!!

Marilyn

We truly had a blast. And to clarify, *some* of Richard's family sat with us at Table #1, and the rest sat at Table #2 closest to the piano and stage.

I wanted to add that hearing Richard play the opening to "Solitaire", in Karen's original key of "E", exactly as was played on the record was pretty chilling. Not to mention the fact he did it on a Steinway, which was the same piano used on that album! It will be rather interesting to see/hear how the kids turn out musically. -Chris

Thanks Chris for the great review of a magical night.
The photo opp alone would've sent me into orbit!!!
All of you looked great!

TonyCurrie said:
GOODY4SHOES said:
Even more "dumbed-down" than I expected. :thumbsdn:

Glad I stayed home :yawn:

Pray, what exactly is "dumb" about that programme?

I take it you're world-class performer yourself? Or perhaps an experienced arranger? Or you've composed many Grammy-award-winning songs?

Do let us in on your special experience. An experience so perfect that you can slag off a concert without even being there? What a terribly clever chap you are.

It seems you don't understand what 'dumbed-down' means. I didn't stay there was anything dumb about it. I'm talking about the length of Richard's performance, not the quality Richard's performance. For someone who has never attended TOTW fund raiser before, I'm sure they had a great time.

Richard would be very happy knowing that you are here to stick up for him, even if it is totally unnecessary. :tongue:

Regards,
A clever, world-class performing chap

It seems you don't understand what 'dumbed-down' means.
Well obviously, Joe, YOU don't know what "dumbed-down" means. It has nothing to do with the length of a performance, but means "appealing to the absolute lowest common denominator."

I was surprised reading that comment from Joe, knowing his love for the Carpenters and having attended previous TOTW events (sitting at Joe's table!) -- so I felt a little "dumb" myself looking up the definition of "dumbed-down" on the Net but learned that it does, indeed, mean "overly simplified" or "greatly shortened". Interesting... because it has such a negative sound to it but the meaning is not that at all -- learn something new every day!

Randy

Mike Blakesley said:
It seems you don't understand what 'dumbed-down' means.
Well obviously, Joe, YOU don't know what "dumbed-down" means. It has nothing to do with the length of a performance, but means "appealing to the absolute lowest common denominator."

Mike have you ever attended any of the TOTW fund raisers? I ask that because I am comparing RC's recent performances to TOTW1 and TOTW2. Back then 95% of the stuff Richard played was Carpenters music or the newer X-mas songs... which was great. He discussed many interesting details of a song before playing it. I found that very interesting. RC's kids are entertaining, but I'd rather hear Richard play.

Richard's performance (as compared to TOTW1 and TOTW2) has been simplified, shortened and become less Carpenters oriented. That's why I feel the term "dumbed-down" is most appropriate. I'm not trying to piss anyone off, it's simply my opinion.

Joe

I agree with you. Forgive me anyone for replying, as I have never attended any of the TOTW events but have followed the feedback with microscopic detail, and I agree with Joe. It must be lovely to see the kids, but I wouldn't want to travel all that way and pay all that money just to see a bunch of kids singing Polynesian songs.

I'd much rather see Richard play their songs, talk about their career, reminisce. That to me is value for the money I'm paying as a fan. Not sure what the investors and money people who attend are expecting, maybe they don't actually care :laugh:.

The fact that you get to meet Richard afterwards (possibly) of course makes it all the more worthwhile, for a picture or a chat. I see a shift in recent years to more abstract things, rather than concentrating on the Carpenters' oeuvre. Again, sorry if that's off the mark, but even as an outsider I can see how the event has been diluted as time's gone on.

Stephen

If you guys don't mind me popping in here, I have to say that the only thing that most fans tend to overlook here, is that the event really is not even about Richard or the Carpenters' music. I mean, it is, but it isn't. The whole point of the evening is to raise money for scholarships. Having Richard there is an incentive because he is the honorary guest.

Was I disappointed? Not in the least. I went there with the idea that it was a fundraiser and that the "gravy" was the fact that Richard would be there and I was there to support him. Most of the folks that show up there are high-society folks, with money, who support the Arts. I doubt if any of them were all that disappointed with the turnout of the evening. So, if you're going there to see a "Richard Carpenter" concert, you need to lower your expectations before you buy your ticket. That way, whatever you get, you'll thoroughly enjoy. Just my $.02. -Chris

The whole point of the evening is to raise money for scholarships. Having Richard there is an incentive because he is the honorary guest.

Hey Chris :)

That's probably primarily the reason I wouldn't go. Personally I have little interest in promotion of the arts at CSULB or whatever because it's so far removed from where I live in the world and to me, this event would probably be part of a holiday visit to the area and the only draw would be Richard Carpenter/performing Carpenters songs etc, so in a way, it's best that this event is designed for the fundraiser crowd among us, because I'd probably go expecting a Richard Carpenter concert and end up being disappointed. But that's just me, coming at it from purely a fan's point of view.

Stephen

My 5th Dimension concert I saw a month back, was "dumbed down" in the sense that there were a number of songs that it OPENED with that were not really the 5-D oeuvre, (though performed good enough with that if the 5th Dimension were to record another album, they would be good songs for it) so I can see one's point in wanting CARPENTERS songs as opposed to a "Hawaiian Night"! A "harsh term" in both cases, but sometimes we do have "lofty" expectations; I'm sure that being "hurtful" with that term wasn't really Joe's intent--just a means of expressing disppointment, which I truly understand...! [See below for my review on the 5-D Concert I saw, which incidentally consisted on only TWO original members...:]

Fundraisers and concerts can be two different things and I've only gone to the latter; a few people I know see performers act as speakers on the former and the most performers are willing to do "in character" is generally sign autographs, if not briefly talk about "the good old days", before they did decide (for whatever reason) to take on social causes... :neutral:inkshield:

Dave

...Sorry for my intrusion, but I have MY 2¢ on this, too! :oneeye:

Thanks Chris for showing us the photos, it looks like it was a great time, Richard looks happy.

If I lived on the west coast I would attend without a doubt, regardless of what type of fundraiser it was, just seeing Richard would be worth it for me.

Yeah, for me too.

..., and I want to mention to Chris (May) that yesterday, I've posted the pic of you, Becky and Richard on my site (in the Carpenters News section) as I feel it's a cool "News" pic... If you want it exclusive to A&M Corner forum, I will remove it from my site..., it's up to you.

*Note that I've also cropped a Richard only face shot out of the pic and post it in my Richard Carpenter Pics section.

Thank you :)

Roland Chayer said:
I want to mention to Chris (May) that yesterday, I've posted the pic of you, Becky and Richard on my site (in the Carpenters News section) as I feel it's a cool "News" pic... If you want it exclusive to A&M Corner forum, I will remove it from my site..., it's up to you.

Naaa...I don't mind...I try to be accommodating! :laugh:

Even though I have just about the dorkiest look on my face...wasn't expecting the camera to go off when it did! :) We have another shot taken on another camera which is a *little* better, but I didn't get it until today, and figured it doesn't much matter anyway! -Chris

If you want me to put up your new pic instead, it's fine with me, I'll change it..., but I thought this one was pretty cool with Becky and Richard.

By the way, you look great..., in fact I think that you look more like Karen than Richard does..., similar eyes, similar smile, similar nose..., nice. :)

Just from my observation, it seemed like the this edition of "TOTW" had the least amount of fans attending. If there were ten of us there, I would be surprised.

I attend many events each year at the Carpenter center, and you get to know the familiar faces. I saw very few fans who were only there for Richard. Don't get me wrong, Richard is quite a draw. I just found most of the audience were the same donors I see often.

You can always spot Carpenter fans. We are the only ones who spend five minutes in front of Karen's drum set, reading each description available. Or, we stand for hours in front of the video presentation showing their career history.

The night was was really for fund raising, and I think they did pretty well. The fact that there were no items for auction that were Carpenters related, shows they cater to donors and not fans.

I forgot to mention that I did see one fan ask Mary if there was an air date or network set for the Dionne Warwick special Richard recently taped at the Kodak theater.

She said they had not informed her yet. Mary is always polite and courteous to the fans.

WOW!

Reading all of this makes me feel so jealous of everyone who were able to attend this fund raising get-together.

I wish that someday, I'll get a chance to meet and see him perform (if he's ever in NYC). I would like to thank him personally for creating the timeless music that he and Karen has done. Music that I will always listen to until the end of my life.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom