Sarah Vaughan/Sergio Mendes Brazilaian Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzdre

I went to YouTube tonight, and typed in Sarah Vaughan's name in the search engine, hoping to see some videos/performances of the great Sassy. Well, lo and behold, there was!

There are performances of hers in concert, from the fifties to the eighties. One in particular stood out: it was a performance of "So Many Stars", probably at the Grammys, I think in 1988/89.The posting said she received a lifetime achievement award, but did not say where, so most likely it was at the Grammys.

I'm mentioning this because she recorded SMS on the Brazilian Romance album that came out in '87, and this was produced by Sergio Mendes. In 1993' there was a biography of Sarah written by Leslie Gourse, that quite frankly was filled with some inaccuracies about her life and art. Nonethe less, it still is something of a 'must read' if you are a Sassy fan(like I am)

However, there was a chapter/section in the book that stated that she and Sergio did not get along during the making of the album! He wanted it to be more 'easylistening/pop, she wanted it to be more traditional Brazilian jazz. Gourse was waaay off when she said it sounded like a rock n roll album!(ah, critics!) Nothing could be further from the truth! The only uptempo number was "Nothing Will Be As It Was" amd even that can be called a 'slow jam'!

It was really a little too easy, but even Gourse says it works well from a listener's perspective. Dori Caymmi, who worked on the album as an arranger, sided more with Sarah privately, but said he had to respect his boss' orders(Mendes)

Howveer she felt(reportedly also she got sick during these sessions, and told everyone within earshot that she didn't like the album. Even Caymmi said ' a tough lady')the album is very beautiful, and in my opinion, it is one of her better recordings.

I am a huge Sarah Vaughan fan and this is my favorite out of the 3 Brasillian albums she recorded. It's too bad that Vaughan and Mendes did not agree on the concept for the album. Track 2 Romance is my favorite on the album. It's such a beautiful ballad with exceptional vocals.

Yep, Sergio & Sarah did not get along because of creative differences.My friend Alphonso Johnson had confirmed this to me years ago during one of his visits to Philly(his childhood hometown).Mr. Johnson was the bassist on Brazilian Romance in addition to being a bassist for Sergio Mendes & Brasil 88 at one point.Alphonso did tell me that Sarah kept on delaying the recording process by arriving late for sessions & also leaving early claiming that she had felt "sick".

I do have to agree with Dori Caymmi though, Brazilian Romance is indeed one of Sarah's best recordings and it's my personal favorite as well.Dori had told me that it wasn't easy working with sarah & Sergio and that he had felt torn and he had felt like he was caught in the middle of the constant bickering.

Yes, it is too bad that Sarah and Sergio did not get along during the making of "Brazilian Romance", but out of great tension sometimes comes great art. I've also heard that The Beatles and George Martin didn't sometimesget along in the studio, but look what came out of that!

Also, Marvin Gaye and Norman Whitfield nearly came to blows during the "I Heard Thru The Grapevine" sessions, but many consider the performances one of the finest of Marvin's career.(Incidentally, it became Motown's biggest hit at that point.)

So this is just another example of what happens when two brilliant and talented artists get together, and tension arises between them, but in the final end, their egos ultimately get pushed aside, and ART has the last word.( hey Cortnee, thanks for the confirmation. Much appreciated!)

It's a great CD. The only problem that I have with it is that it seems to almost be an extension to the "brasil '86" album. Especially with "Your Smile" which is obviously recycled with vocals from the Brasil '86 at the end.

Vaughan's voice was pretty much shot by the time she made that album--it was late in her career at that point. Can't hold a candle to her far better work from decades earlier. I like Sergio's production and the overall sound of the album, but hearing her voice in that condition just saddens me, and I can't listen to more than a few tracks without having to turn it off.

I think Sarah sounded fabulous on that album and, indeed, throughout the latter years of her career. I saw her live in Milan in 1988 (89?) and she blew us away. The vibrato was as intact as ever, her range, the swoops aaahhh.... More mature, yes, but far slicker than the bebop years.

I think Sarah sounds great on her later albums. Gershwin Live and Brazillian Romance are 2 of my favorite Vaughan albums. I like Copacabana and I Love Brazil, but I think Brazillian Romance is far better.

The medley (inc. Our Love Is Here To Stay ("The ra-hay-hay-di-o") from the Vaughan-Tilson Thomas Gershwin Live album is possibly my favourite ever vocal performance by anyone, and My Man's Gone Now is ineffably strong.

Brazilian Romance is, IMHO, Sarah's best Brazilian album but is quite incomparable with the more musically (not necesarily lyrically) intimate Copacabana though there's no vocal deterioration between the two.

Now Ella: there was a voice that ailed: by the late seventies you could park a Mack Truck in that vibrato, but she was game and the spirit never left her interpretations.

Someone to Watch Over Me just blows me away. She had so much control with her voice. I can't think of a better female singer. She is the best.

Certain songs on the "Brazilian Romance" album don't suit her as well ('Make This City Ours Tonight' come to mind), but they're such beautiful songs and arrangements....anyone who just knows her later stuff should check out the early years to see how her sound truly evolved.....

I often recommend to the unitiated the early 70's album titled The Feeling's Good (I believe -- I don't have my vinyl to hand) with the wild pyschedelic cover, which includes outstanding versions of Alone Again (Naturally), Rainy Days and Mondays, Just a Little Loving , Deep in the Night and When you Think of It (with arrangements by Matz, Legrand...)

I love Sarah's cover of Rainy Days and Mondays. I bought it off of I-Tunes. I could not find the song anywhere.

Saw a copy of Brasilian Romance in a store... With Sergio and Sarah featured in a photo in the studio on the back cover... Sarah seems a bit "aged" so maybe this was ful-filling a need in her Career Revival, with a top-Brasilian Artist as her Producer/Arranger, on board, also keeping his name and stature...

I kind'a regret not listening to it, but from the material selection and from what I've read here, in a few instances, I don't know if I'd be as interested, having never tried her works before...

Chris Martin said:
...I often recommend to the unitiated the early 70's album titled (And...?) The Feeling's Good... (--I believe --I don't have my vinyl on hand...) with the wild pyschedelic cover, which includes...

Well, --Find It..., --Find It! That sounds like it would be My Bag!

--Least from the songs she does...

Chris Martin said:
...outstanding versions of "Alone Again (Naturally)", "Rainy Days and Mondays", "Just a Little Lovin'", "Deep in the Night" and "When You Think of It"...

--There...

Dave

A good bet would be Sarah Vaughn Sings Songs of THE BEATLES, recorded in 1981-1982; (Atlantic SD 16037) while a seemingly dated idea, Sarah really does bring ten classic Lennon/McCartney songs and one George Harrison-written song to life giving all eleven classic Fab-Four numbers a very revived and fresh approach, while transcending us with her voice in a very enjoyable Jazz/Pop/EZ Listening vein...

Dave

I've heard many a critic lambast her Beatles album, but Dave, if you say it's good, then maybe I will pick it up! By the way, I saw it last week , I believe on sale at Virgin Records Megastore in Greenwich Village. Instead, I picked up Pat Metheny's new cd with Brad Mehldau. Oh well, there's always another time!

I wouldn't lambast Sarah's Beatles album but it's not one I go back too very often. She's in great voice, but I don't like the arrangements (especially the god awful Come Together and that silly vocal-less Hey Jude coda). Nor do I particularly love the song selection. Worth a listen, though IMO.

I would agree with you Chris on this one. It's not one of my favorites by her, but it does have a few good tracks. I like "And I Love Him", "Here There and Everywhere" and "The Long & Winding Road"
Sarah is my all time favorite female singer. I think she is un-matched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom