• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sergio in London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Vakil

In haste before an early start tomorrow.........

My friend Liza and I saw Sergio Mendes at the Barbican in London tonight. The show was a sellout.

There was no formal opening act (although there was a DJ in the foyer beforehand). I recognised many of the players from the Hollywood Bowl (as well as Sergio, Gracinha and Dawn Philips, the percussionist and rapper/percussionist - neither of whose names I can remember were also there).

Much of the material was the same as Hollywood. There were two encores which comprised Mas Que Nada, Pais Tropical and then... Mas Que Nada again! The audience was on its feet for the last few numbers.

I am glad that there was less rap than before but I must be getting younger as I was beginning to appreciate what rap there was! I felt sorry for the two elderly ladies to our left who spent much of the show shaking their heads in stony silence!

This was a really great show and I'm so glad I had the opportunity to see Sergio perform again.

I took some photos but I suspect they're not up to much. If they are, I'll post them here.

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom