• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Sergio Makes Beatles List

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveM

Al Sussman, a researcher/writer for "Beatlefan" magazine, has tallied the most popular versions of Beatles songs recorded by other artists.

He compiled the list using Billboard charts, and Sergio comes in at #3!

Here's the list:

1. Lucy In The Sky - Elton John (1975)
2. Stars On 45 Medley - Stars On 45 (1981)
3. Fool On The Hill - Sergio (1966)
4. I Saw Him Standing There - Tiffany (1988)
5. You Won't See Me - Anne Murray (1974)
6. Got To Get You Into My Life - Earth, Wind & Fire (1978)
7. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away - The Silkie (1965)
8. We Can Work It Out - Stevie Wonder (1971)
9. Oh Darling - Robin Gibb (1978)
10. Here Comes The Sun - Richie Havens (1971)

I guess it's fitting, and a happy coincidence, that the Fool On The Hill album was just reissued.

---SteveM

I certainly agree about "Daytripper". Far more funky and "out there" than FOTH, though less unlike the original. What's missing (or is this a US magazine? In UK, this made it to no. 2 in '83, for weeks) is Siouxsie and the Banshees' "Dear Prudence". A spindly acoustic Beatles ballad transformed into a lush, psychedelic lovesong. Check it out if you don't already know it.

I agree "Daytripper" lives up to its title, performed by Sergio Mendes in that perky kind of way. Their "Fool On The Hill" is definitive, though Lena Horne and Gabor Szabo made a version that is just as good, as well as a few other Beatles songs as worthy of making that list as some Beatles songs Gabor did on his many albums.

Even Sergio's "With A Little Help From My Friends" belongs there, least if the list were compiled from artistic merit. In which case, I can think of a few worthy A&M/CTi cuts that should rank there, too.

Dave

You could actually make a pretty good A&M ARTISTS PERFORM THE BEATLES disk, considering that all of the major A&M headliners did Beatles tunes. Hmmm, I feel a compilation brewing.

My own personal Sergio/Beatles tune is "Fool," but I like "Norwegian Wood" almost as much. "Daytripper" is OK, but not a personal fave.

brasil_nut said:
seashorepiano said:
Wasn't Fool On The Hill recorded in 1968?

Yes, between late '67 and mid '68. :)

Jon
Didn't FOTH feature the "new" Brasil 66? Or was it just Lani and Sergio with studio musicians? When exactly did Sergio make personel changes in Brasil 66? I know it was easy for Sergio to find replacements for Bob, Joao, and Jose. However to find a replacement for Janis seemed to be the most challenging because Sergio had hundreds of young female singers audition for Brasil 66.I'm sure Sergio searched for a couple of months before he had finally found Ms. Karen Philipp.

Mike Blakesley said:
My own personal Sergio/Beatles tune is "Fool," but I like "Norwegian Wood" almost as much.

I forgot about "Norwegian Wood"-- I have Gabor Szabo & Gary McFarland doing it (and "The Word"). Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 really kick out the jams with it and I'm glad it was good enough to make it onto the Foursider compilation, as well.

Some artists have covered "Fool On The Hill" in its authenticity. There is one obscure artist that I don't remember the name of who did it on RCA (Maybe Eddie Fisher?) and Libby Titus, among others. Both, Sergio Mendes and Lena Horne kind of make it a bit breezy and way different from The Beatles' version.

Dave

Cortnee said:
Didn't FOTH feature the "new" Brasil 66? Or was it just Lani and Sergio with studio musicians? When exactly did Sergio make personel changes in Brasil 66?

FOOL ON THE HILL, both song and album, feature the new incarnation of "Brasil '66" with Karen Philipp replacing Janis Hansen in the vocals department.

It appears to me that the change happened after "The Look Of Love" as there are some picture sleeves oif that single that show the new band configuration, yet we're now certain that Janis Hansen sang the breathy lead intro to "The Look Of Love."

Harry

Wasn't that single released quite a while after the album came out? I know it was released in response to their performing it on the Academy Awards. If that's the case, I can see why Sergio would want to start featuring pics of the new band on releases.

Could be - don't know. I don't own it, but have seen it on the web.

Harry

Very interesting subject, indeed.

Many times, fans have noticed that the woman on the cover of Look Around bears a striking resemblance to Karen. Then again, Janis was still a member of Brasil '66 when these photos were taken, so I'm sure it's her. Also, anyone who has seen the cover of Family Portrait can attest to the fact that this is, indeed, Janis Hansen.

Yes, as Harry said, Fool On The Hill did feature the "new" Brasil '66. All we know about Karen's entering the group is what's been written in various articles: she replied to an ad in a music magazine, auditioned and got the job. As far as how many vocalists Sergio might have auditioned, hard to tell. Probably many, although Karen obviously fit the bill. Her "twang" was a good match to Lani's clear, distinctive trademark sound.

Jon

To add to the confusion, I'm sure I read somewhere, maybe even in a previous post on this forum, that the other woman on the cover of HAP is Bibi Vogel (?) and not, as I had always believed, Janis Hansen, though we also know Lani did all the vocals on this album so it makes sense.
I really think the woman on the front sleeve of Equinox looks like Karen, too. I guess Janis and Karen must have had quite a similar look.
Chris Martin

Hey Chris,

The woman on the front of Herb Alpert Presents is Bibi Vogel. And, according to Sergio, Janis appears on the back cover. As for Equinox, this is also Janis Hansen.

However, I'm with the minority. In other words, I think the woman on Look Around does bear a striking resemblance to Karen Philipp...the chin, nose, eyes, etc.

Hard to tell who appeared on what cover and when. All I know is Sergio & Company produced awesome music. And who knows...perhaps one day Sergio will surprise us with the answers to so many of our questions.

Jon

Maybe the problem is that the styles of the day were so strong -- hey, maybe even I could look like Karen or Janis with enough false eyelashes and blush. Oh, well, perhaps not... (Hope not!)
However, it would be great if Sergio could answer some of our questions in an open forum, stuff that helps us tie up our loose ends, stuff that's probably trivia to him.
I subscribe to a magazine called All About Barbra -- hi-gloss, great features, completely independent from Streisand, and she answered readers' questions last year. And that's Streisand! Jeez, she'll be President soon :laugh: Hope Sr. Mendes could oblige.
Chris Martin

Karen or Janis Look-Alike said:
...And that's Streisand! Jeez, she'll be President soon

Hey! This is a politics-free forum!

--Mr Bill
just posting a friendly reminder! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom