• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66 Television Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

Dear Mendes Fans.

German television WDR broadcasted in 1970 a one-hour television special about Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66 and their music.

With visits in Rio de Janeiro to a young lean Antonio Carlos Jobim, Jorge Ben and Gracinha Leporace, (amongst others). Brasil 66 visits Gilberto Gil and Caetano Veloso who lived in exile in London at he time.

Also featured moving pictures from Sergio’s house in Encino.

The special was directed by Michael Pleghar, a well known European film director and husband of the great multi-lingual Italian singer Catarina Valente.

Catarina Valente recorded several Brazilian songs and one all Brazilian Album with the late Luis Bonfa.

During the beginning of the 1970’s she performed a lot in my hometown AMSTERDAM, The Netherlands under her Musical Director Dave Grusin, who lived in Amsterdam at that time.

With Kind regards,

Aqua do Brasil

MasterLcZ said:
Aqua,

Was this the HORIZONTE ABERTO special?

Dear MasterLcZ,
No, this was a special ten years before the Horizonte Aberto special (1970). No VCR at that time! A pity!

The Horizonte Aberto special was in 1980, in my memory on a sailing boat.

kind regards,
Aqua do Brasil[/code]

MasterLcZ said:
Aqua,

Was this the HORIZONTE ABERTO special?

Paul...

This was the Brasil '66 TV Special we talked about. It's the one where Sergio took the Harpsichord atop Sugarloaf, even though he's afraid of heights... :shock: From what I hear, Sergio had quite a difficult time locating that Harpsichord. He finally found one (outside of Rio) in an ancient church.

This special must have featured some incredible photography...one of the segments is described as having been filmed under water...

glub...glub...glub... :wink:

Jon

MasterLcZ said:
Yowsah!!!
A tape HAS to exist SOMEWHERE!!! :laugh: :o :shock: :laugh:

I have an extensive article about the TV Special packed away somewhere. I'll have to dig it out. It talks about Sergio taking the girls to Brasil for the first time, his family and home life, his love of good wine and fine cigars, how he created the group, locating a harpsichord in Brasil for the film shoot, special effects that were used in filming certain portions of the special underwater, his fear of heights, etc. Really interesting stuff. I'll see if I can locate it somewhere around here.

Jon

If anyone had a copy of that show on tape it would have to be Jon. So I am thinking one doesn't exist, if I am wrong I will be the first in line to buy it. ( From my lips to Gods ears)

cakeicer said:
If anyone had a copy of that show on tape it would have to be Jon. So I am thinking one doesn't exist, if I am wrong I will be the first in line to buy it. ( From my lips to Gods ears)

Sure it exists...rotting away in a vault somewhere, aging and corroding with each and every day! Then again, Sergio and Gracinha may have a copy...seems I need to send off an e-mail perhaps? :wink: Here's another one for Mendes fans...the Expo concert appeared on Japanese national television! Now, tell me there isn't a copy of that floating around somewhere?

Oh well, as everything else eventually finds its way to release, I'm sure Sergio's TV and concert appearances will, with time, follow suit. As with the TJB reissues, we can wait and hope.

Jon

...patiently awaiting (yeah right!) the release of Sergio's viewable material, online...

Brasil_Nut said:
cakeicer said:

Sure it exists...rotting away in a vault somewhere, aging and corroding with each and every day! Then again, Sergio and Gracinha may have a copy...seems I need to send off an e-mail perhaps? :wink: Here's another one for Mendes fans...the Expo concert appeared on Japanese national television! Now, tell me there isn't a copy of that floating around somewhere?

Oh well, as everything else eventually finds its way to release, I'm sure Sergio's TV and concert appearances will, with time, follow suit. As with the TJB reissues, we can wait and hope.

Jon

...patiently awaiting (yeah right!) the release of Sergio's viewable material, online...

dear Mendes fans,

The tape exits somewhere , i hope by the WDR (German broadcast company) I try to contact mr. Michael Phlegar the director to find out whats up.

alll the best, Aqua do Brasil

Aqua do Brasil said:
cakeicer said:

Aqua do Brasil said:
dear Mendes fans,

The tape exits somewhere , i hope by the WDR (German broadcast company) I try to contact mr. Michael Phlegar the director to find out whats up.

all the best, Aqua do Brasil

That would be very nice, Aqua. Thanks very much...please keep us posted. I think it's time for some of Sergio's viewable material to be compiled and released along with the wonderful reissues that have come our way. As the song says, "What a wonderful world it would be..."

Jon

...dreaming online...

Count Doctorbillyjack in this group of Brazil Nuts who would love for Sergio's viewable material to surface. I wonder if it would be marketable enough for A&M to get involved? I don't know, but I hope A&M and especially Sergio are paying attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom