• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Sergio Mendes on Tom Jones TV show on DVD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevor

I saw that the Tom Jones TV show is now available on DVD. Does anyone know if it contains the Sergio Mendes & Brasil'66 guest spots. It's from 1969, and the songs are "Going Out of my head" (SM & B'66) and "Mas Que Nada" (SM & B66 & Tom Jones). I am not a fan of Tom Jones, but I would get the DVD just to see Lani and Karen live doing Going out of my head, and Mas Que Nada

I am assuming that it's live, and it's from 1969, so it ought to be Karen and Lani, and my guess would be is that they are wearing that same outfit they wore on the live album and Music Scene.

Does anyone have this DVD???

I still remember that episode--and remember after Tom welcomed Sergio to the show, Sergio said "You'll have to come to Brasil and do my show sometime." I always wondered about that--I've never seen any other reference to a "Sergio Mendes Variety Hour." :D

No, I think he meant tv show--in fact, he may have even said tv show. In the context of the episode it was clear (at least to me at the time--could be completely mistaken, of course).

You never know, I guess.... I have never seen any reference to him having a TV show. But, it's a big world out there, so anything's possible I guess!

Maybe Sergio "almost" had a show and then it never happened for some reason.

He must have been talking about the old sitcom, "Make Room For Sergio", where Mr. Mendes played a wacky Brazilian bandleader. It was sponsored by Phillips 66 gasoline, which was not only where Sergio got the idea to call his group Brasil '66, but also to later hire a singer with a similar name.

238794.jpg

Harry
...spinning a wild yarn, online...

What about that other show, "I Love Sergio," where he played a Brazilian bandleader whose wife was always trying to get on stage? Herb Alpert and Lani Hall played the wacky neighbors. :wink:

Mike B.
Stretching the yarn further

Trevor said:
I think "I love Sergio" appears before that show: "That Janis".

No, no, no--Janis Hansen was in The Odd Couple!

(And thus begins a whole new round of confusion. You may all thank me later). :evil:

You mean Brett Somers from the Match Game is Janis Hansen!

Is it true that Janis had forgotten her earrings for a Christmas special that Brasil '66 was performing in, and she went to the christmas tree and plucked 2 christmas ornaments, and that how she got her distinctive earrings?

Karen Philipp used to do needlepoint on the long flights from Japan to L.A.

According to Amazon, no they are not.

Guests on the set are Little Richard, Stevie Wonder and Aretha Franklin. Burt Bacharach is also listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom