SERGIO On LENO Wednesday Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
DANG! Why can't Sergio or Herb ever be on one of the really good talk shows? :wink:

Oh well I guess Leno does get the ratings.

I'm not a Leno fan at all, and am glad he's leaving. The sad part about Sergio being on is that they always do the music acts at the very end of the show, and it always seems to be rushed. But any exposure is better than no exposure.

Capt. Bacardi

"Better than nothing" is what I gotta say, too... He wouldn't get treated any better if it were Dave Lettermen or Conan O' Brien so one (Well, there were two, actually) good, or at least OK, guest shot on Jay Leno deserves another...

Dave

Leno may be leaving THE TONIGHT SHOW, but the rumors are that he'll make a deal with ABC or FOX to do a similar show for them after a six month no-compete is over.

He's been quoted as saying that he's not quite ready to hang it up yet, so look for one of these other networks to make a deal with him at the center of it all.

I'll set my recorder for tonight, but I'll bet that the song that Sergio performs will barely be over as the end credits are rolling, just like before!

Harry

The sad part about Sergio being on is that they always do the music acts at the very end of the show, and it always seems to be rushed.
Yeah - that's why I wish he would be on Letterman. They could maybe do a "sitting in with the band" spot, and then have Sergio perform a song later on. Only problem is, Sergio's music doesn't quite fit with the usual kind of material Paul Shaffer plays, so "sitting in" might not work so well. But Shaffer is versatile enough I'll bet they could pull it off.

Herb was a guest when "Second Wind" came out, and Leno was completely clueless about the stature or history of his guest. Herb didn't seem to be comfortable playing with Branford Marsalis. It would be good to see Herb, for darn sure...but was never impressed with Leno's ability to do an insightful interview.

richardwha's'up said:
...Herb was a guest when Second Wind came out, and Leno was completely clueless about the stature or history of his guest...

That's what I thought when Herb was on Tonight promoting Re-Whipped...!!! :laugh:

Well, let's face it, Late-Nite talk shows don't seem to do justice to even what they consider talent... If Jay can last as long as Johnny Carson has, then good for him, but it won't be on the strength of how he presents his musical guests...! :shake:

Dave

Well, "back in the day" Sergio used to regularly come over and sit and chat with the host on The Tonight Show after his performance. I remember several, especially one with guest host McLean Stevenson when New Brasil 77 came out and Stevenson was trying to be funny about Sergio's weight loss (he had gotten pretty fat circa Vintage 74), but just came off sounding rude.

Thanks for the heads up! I will be watching. I just recently got the new CD, so I'm very excited to see them perform "Waters of March"

JMAR5 said:
Thanks for the heads up! I will be watching. I just recently got the new CD, so I'm very excited to see them perform "Waters of March"

Is that what they're doing? One of my favorite Tonight Show memories (which I've posted before--sorry) is the night B77 did Waters of March with Bonnie and Gracinha, and Bonnie went COMPLETELY up on the lyric--she just had this frozen smile on her face and was kind of "la, la la-ing" along for most of a verse. It was hilarious, in that "can't keep your eyes off a train wreck" sort of way. :)

Richard - your reference should be to Midnight Sun, not Second Wind. They played A Taste Of Honey together, later Herb sang Someone To Watch Over Me.

Right-o Steve. My fault for going stream-of-consciousness.

I remember in 1968 when Bossa Rio was a guest on the Joey Bishop Show. Again, he had no appreciation for Sergio, who was on hand to introduce his "new group."

Steve Sidoruk said:
Richard - your reference should be to Midnight Sun, not Second Wind. They played A Taste Of Honey together, later Herb sang Someone To Watch Over Me.

And Leno was pronouncing Herb's name as "Herb Albert" and Herb had to correct Leno on that. I guess Leno's jaw got in the way... :D

Capt. Bacardi

Oops, I missed it...! :oops:

Knew I would; I went to bed at 11:00 forgetting all about it...! :mad:

Waiting for a Full Report from someone here who DID see it...!!! :neutral:inkshield:

Dave :help:

I waited (suffered) through the whole show, and, sure enough, Sergio & Co. were stuck at the very end. "Waters of March" was the only song, and Leno had time to say "thanks" and shake SM's hand as the end credits started to roll.

Lots of time was spent with Emeril cooking lasagna from scratch. I'd have prefered a can of microwaved Chef Boy-Ar-Dee quickly wolfed down to allow time for a Mendes interview.

Spotted a lead guitar player in the band who looked a lot like Weird Al. Leno did mention Sergio's new album was getting rave reviews, at least.

JB

I watched it last night and of course they were in the very last part of the show. I thought the performance was good, but Ledisi seemed a little off though. I think "Waters of March" is probably a hard song to sing live. There's a lot going on with the Jobim classic and I am sure it's difficult for singers to master the lyrics

I wasn't home from the theatre in time to see the show, but since they performed "Waters," I'm not sad I missed it. I have yet to really like that song in any of Sergio's various recordings....to me it's just kind of a boring song and don't see the appeal of it.

Now if I found out they'd done "Acode" or "Odo-Ya," I'd have been seriously bummed!

I'm a little surprised they didn't do "Funky Bahia," since that's the song they're working now. But WOM is a well-known song so maybe that's the reason.

Mike Blakesley said:
I'm a little surprised they didn't do "Funky Bahia," since that's the song they're working now. But WOM is a well-known song so maybe that's the reason.

It probably had more to do with the availability of singer Ledisi than anything else - and that's the song she does on the ENCANTO album.

Gee, in years past, Leno would at least hold up a copy of the album being promoted, but this time he was too busy eating his lasagna to bother.

On an almost-related note, while out and about today at lunch, I stopped into a local Borders Books And Music. Not only did they have a number of copies of ENCANTO available, including some in the featured position above the racks, but they were playing the complete album throughout the store. I was there from "The Look Of Love" up through most of "Odo-Ya" before I had to head back to work.

Harry

[addendum: Never having heard it pronounced anywhere, I had thought that "Ledisi" was pronounced "le-dee'-sy". But last night on Leno, he pronounced it "lead'-eh-si".]

Harry said:
Mike Blakesley said:

It probably had more to do with the availability of singer Ledisi than anything else - and that's the song she does on the ENCANTO album.

Gee, in years past, Leno would at least hold up a copy of the album being promoted, but this time he was too busy eating his lasagna to bother.

On an almost-related note, while out and about today at lunch, I stopped into a local Borders Books And Music. Not only did they have a number of copies of ENCANTO available, including some in the featured position above the racks, but they were playing the complete album throughout the store. I was there from "The Look Of Love" up through most of "Odo-Ya" before I had to head back to work.

Harry

[addendum: Never having heard it pronounced anywhere, I had thought that "Ledisi" was pronounced "le-dee'-sy". But last night on Leno, he pronounced it "lead'-eh-si".]

I really do miss Tower Records.
:sad:

For your viewing pleasure:

SERGIO+LENO+04.jpg

Sergio with Justo Almario on flute

SERGIO+LENO+07.jpg

Gracinha, Dawn Bishop & Katie Hampton

SERGIO+LENO+01.jpg

Ledisi, with Hussain Jiffry on bass to left

SERGIO+LENO+03.jpg

Michael Shapiro

Status