• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sergio Reissues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Hagerty

Contributor
The Monkees are getting the deluxe reissue treatment for their 40th anniversary this year...shouldn't Sergio?

The past six years have seen reissues of Equinox, Look Around and Fool On The Hill....anyboy have any hope for Herb Alpert Presents, Crystal Illusions, Ye-Me-Le, Stillness, Pais Tropical and Primal Roots?

---Michael Hagerty

All of Sergio's A&M albums will be re-issued in Japan on September 13th of 2006, that's this year, according to http://www.hmv.co.jp

Several of them were re-issued on May 17th of this year. It must be the Year Of Sergio over there!

Harry

Doesn't appear so to me. Just the bonus track already included on Live At Expo '70 and Primal Roots.

Good news about the Japanese reissues...but what I'm hoping is that Verve will do something for the U.S....so we're not paying $33 a disc.

---Michael Hagerty

Michael Hagerty said:
but what I'm hoping is that Verve will do something for the U.S....so we're not paying $33 a disc.

That would be good. I don't understand why Verve would release Equinox, Look Around (on Verve by Request) and FOTH but none of the others.

Yeah, but c'mon...it's Sergio's 40th anniversary, he's touring and three of the albums are already in stores at $11.98. Why not the others...or at least the ones with hits? Most fans will balk at paying three times that...much less the casual listener who might go for an album at a good price...especially one they may not have even seen before (I can't remember seeing Crystal Illusions in any format in a store since 1971).

Verve should have had them on the street before the Hollywood Bowl concert.

---Michael Hagerty

Sadly, most people will be happy with a compilation of hits. The purple CLASSICS and the green GREATEST HITS still fill all of the racks I've visited, and must still sell well.

Harry

Universal needs to remaster these properly here in the US. The Japan CDs I have from a few years ago (when the whole catalog came out) can't hold a candle to the three US releases. Much more natural sounding, closest I've heard to the vinyl. I doubt these new Japan CDs will sound any better than what I have.

Luckily Sergio on vinyl has been a Dine a Dozen! I can get rid of a whole collection I'm tired of and buy everything back easily... :laugh:

Shout! Factory should surely consider putting out a Sergio Mendes Signature Series, if it can get itself in business to do that; surely when the "Herb Alpert Project" is finished, maybe that might be a possibility--who knows?

Dave

I don't understand why Verve would release Equinox, Look Around (on Verve by Request) and FOTH but none of the others
Hmmm, probably because those are the best sellers???

Although I don't see why they haven't done HERB ALPERT PRESENTS.

Mike Blakesley said:
Hmmm, probably because those are the best sellers???

That came to mind.

Although I don't see why they haven't done HERB ALPERT PRESENTS.

On the premise that HAP was a best seller, and if HAP hasn't been re-released here, then the logic of "best sellers" would not apply, would it?

"Are we to expect straightforward reisues, or is there any chance of extras (b-sides, demos, alternative takes...)?"

Boy, what wouldn't I love to hear those. I was hoping that the CD of STILLNESS would have the 'single' version of "For What It's Worth' with fiercer Karen vocals and more prominent Hammond organ work by Sergio.

I don't have any rarities, although I have everything oficially released, but there must be some stuff in the A&M vaults, and some of you might have bootlegs. I guess The Crab could be tagged on to the Pais Tropical album. And maybe some live tracks. A favourite band of mine (Siouxsie and the Banshees) is getting the full reissues treatment right now, and the extra gems is what's inspiring me to pay up for them.

I guess The Crab could be tagged on to the Pais Tropical album.
That's the album it SHOULD be on, since it sounds like an outtake from that album...but it was previously tagged onto the reissue of PRIMAL ROOTS where it was completely out of place. Not that I'm complaining....any extra song is nice to have.

Mike Blakesley said:
then the logic of "best sellers" would not apply, would it?
Right...that's why I said I didn't undestand why HAP has not been released here. Because it IS one of the best sellers.

One can only hope Verve will get to it. It did take a couple of years between the other three US releases. I'm really surprised the Sundazed folks remastered "Fool On The Hill" for Verve...I almost thought they would have also put it out on vinyl. I just wish that one sounded better--it's a good recording except for the dreaded HAECO-CSG processing on it.

Specifically, Verve took 2 and a half years between "Look Around" and "Equinox" and another 2 and a half to get to "Fool On The Hill". The strip on "Equinox" shows it should no longer be available, though you can still find it in stores and online.

Verve should start from square one and release all nine original Brasil '66 albums for the 40th anniversary this year. But it's already July......

---Michael Hagerty

Agreed, Michael - Let's also not forget that Equinox was available on limited release, but until what exact date (2005?) I don't remember. I was happy to get it when I did. The limited release didn't make much sense.

I think Verve should go ahead and fill in the gaps, and keep Look Around still available, do away with the limited release dates for Equinox and FOTH.

FWIW, our warehouse does not show EQUINOX as a cut-out, but just as a regular listing. I believe the original sticker on the package listed it as being available for 2 years. It's still at the inexplicable $18.98 list price, so maybe they still have a warehouse full of 'em. (LOOK AROUND and FOTH are both $11.98 list.)

So, the bottom line with Equinox is that Verve advertised a half-true "limited release" date, in order to scare unsuspecting fans into buying up a copy at a higher price, possibly manufactured many more copies than would be sold before the "deadline," then made it a regular listing. Anyone agree?

Sounds about right. Now the question is, did they expect to sell them all out, or was the plan "...and if we don't we'll sell them indefinitely at the higher price!"?

---Michael Hagerty

I think you guys are putting WAY too much conspiracy-theory thought into this.

So they put a limited-time-only sticker on it and decided to keep it available longer. If this decision was reached because they made too many, what are they supposed to do, burn all the unsold copies?

Personally I think they would have lowered the price by now but either they are contractually obligated not to, or they just haven't gotten around to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom