Sergio Singers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vinny,

Once I get my new computer in order, I'll do just that. I take it you're talking about Bonnie Bowden Amaro, Gracinha Leporace Mendes, Carol Rogers, Marietta Waters - those vocalists? In the meantime, here's a great picture of Sergio & Brasil '77 taken around 1974:

Bazil77.GIF

This is Bonnie Bowden (left) and Gracinha Leporace (right)

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Brasil Nut is always full of surprises. You might want to ask him if he has any photos of the lovely KAREN PHILIPP. He's made it very CLEAR to me that Karen is hs favorite member of B66. In case you're wondering out the male musicians in the phoyo that was just posted, I'll identify them . Paulinho DaCosta, Claudio Slon, Oscar C. Neves, & Octavio Bailly Jr.If anyone needs info on Sergio & the gang, just call on Jon, the most knowledgeable guy in this forum about Sergio Mendes. And Jon is NOT OLD either, he's kind of young. :laugh:

Jilanha said:
Brasil Nut is always full of surprises. You might want to ask him if he has any photos of the lovely KAREN PHILIPP. He's made it very CLEAR to me that Karen is hs favorite member of B66. If anyone needs info on Sergio & the gang, just call on Jon, the most knowledgeable guy in this forum about Sergio Mendes. And Jon is NOT OLD either, he's kind of young. :laugh:

But of course I have photos of Karen Philipp...LOL :wink:

I'm not so sure that I'm the most knowledgeable person in regard to Mendes, but I sure am dedicated to learning all that I can. I share this love with, of course, Paul Jermomack (another Karen fan) and Brandon Bergeron (also a member of the Karen Philipp fan club). Then again, there's Harry and his knack for seeing what others don't: a different rhythm here, a certain 45 there...whatever the case, he's on top of it. Tim Yee, who wrote a sensational piece about Sergio & Brasil '66 is another well-known fan here at A&M Corner. Jeff Kauffman is, without a doubt, the musical side of Mendes Fan-dom. Being a musician himself, he's gigged with not only some of Sergio's own musicians, but some of the greats of our time (and I might point out that he's extremely talented!) All of these are great people who know Mendes inside and out.

In regard to being "kind of young..." Bless you my child! :shock: I think you've made a friend for life!

Jon...the "Brasil Nut" :D

It's true Jon, you're not old. The average Sergio Mendes fan is in their late 40s to early 60s. You & I are YOUNGER then that and we BOTH KNOW alot about Sergio & the gang considering our ages. At least you're not tempermental or sensitive about AGE. A few people in this forum are bothered by my comments about AGE. I'm not trying to upset anyone, I'm just being honest. The truth HURTS sometimes, doesn't it?! Well Jon, YOUR KNOWLEDGE has surprised me and it has even helped me to learn more about Sergio, Karen, & the EVIL Rubens Bassini( the lowdown snake in the grass). Karen's Playboy article has made me see Mr. Bassini in a different light. I still think that he was an excellent musician, my feelings about his artistry will NEVER change. He did Karen WRONG, he was a lousy lover and a horrible man. But now Karen is happily married to Pat Proft. At least Karen's okay now.

Jilanha said:
It's true Jon, you're not old. The average Sergio Mendes fan is in their late 40s to early 60s.

I don't know what it is. I was about four-years-old when Herb Alpert Presents Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 was released, but my parents listened to it incessantly. Next came Equinox...the sounds of Bim Bom, Cinnamon & Clove and For Me were music to this child's ears. By the time Look Of Love hit, we were into the Brasilian stuff like Upa Nequinho and Festa.

Point is, as a child, something about Sergio struck a chord, stayed with me. It never left. I literally grew up on Sergio Mendes, the TJB, BMB, Bacharach, Claudine, Carpenters, etc. Also, my parents strongly believed that my sister and I should see them live as often as possible. I still remember sitting on my Father's lap at the Circle Star, watching Herb & The TJB. I've seen the BMB two or three times, Sergio countless times, Bacharach once or twice...the list goes on and on. I'm thankful that my parents shared this wonderful music with us.

No, I'm not "old" by normal standards, but I'm not 20 any more either! :wink:

Then again, there's the other flight attendant who attended the Mendes show with me in Vegas a couple of weeks ago. He's all of 35-years-old, and a Sergio fan. Just before the show began, he looked at everyone in the room and deadpanned, "Gee, I feel like a child compared to this crowd..." About that time, a large group of 20-something's entered the theater en masse. Quipped Chad, "Okay, okay...now I feel my age!" :D

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Hi Jill: Thanks for the web-sites. I had never been to the first one and it is oh so cool! The second one doesn't come up correct. It goes to a Japanese site of some sort but it is not Sergio. Thank you again. :wink:

Hey Jon, maye you can help me identify a couple singers in Sergio Mendes' Japan 1991 tourbook. On the cover, There is Sergio, Gracinha, & Kevyn Lettau with a gorgeous African American female singer. Who is she? Sorry, it's not Carol Rogers either. There is another photo with Kevyn Lettau, Chalo Eduardo, Micheal Shapiro, Vinnie Donofrio, & another blonde Caucasian female singer performing a gig. Who is the 2nd blonde? You can find these photos on the second website listed above. Thank you.

Jilanha said:
At least you're not tempermental or sensitive about AGE. A few people in this forum are bothered by my comments about AGE.

Who's bothered about their age?? Not me (53 on July 1st)! Since I can say I saw Sergio and Brasil '66 on stage THREE times, twice with Lani & Janis and another with Lani & Karen, I feel sorry for you young kids....! :)

Brasil_66_Fan said:
Who's bothered about their age?? Not me (53 on July 1st)! Since I can say I saw Sergio and Brasil '66 on stage THREE times, twice with Lani & Janis and another with Lani & Karen, I feel sorry for you young kids....! :)
Gee, I don't know who's bothered about their age BUT as I said a few people in this this forum are bothered by MY COMMENTS about age. I do not appreciate people twisting my words around. You're right, I am a YOUNG KID compared to you !! There's NO NEED to feel sorry for me the YOUNG KID. I feel PROUD to be a YOUNG KID. I'd rather be a young kid than an old person who is losing their MIND! Besides , none of us have control over when we're born. YOU should know that being 53 years old!Oooppss! Someone around here is starting to lose their mind..............

Brasil_Nut said:
I don't know what it is. I was about four-years-old when Herb Alpert Presents Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 was released, but my parents listened to it incessantly. Next came Equinox...the sounds of Bim Bom, Cinnamon & Clove and For Me were music to this child's ears. By the time Look Of Love hit, we were into the Brasilian stuff like Upa Nequinho and Festa.
Point is, as a child, something about Sergio struck a chord, stayed with me. It never left. I literally grew up on Sergio Mendes, the TJB, BMB, Bacharach, Claudine, Carpenters, etc. Also, my parents strongly believed that my sister and I should see them live as often as possible. I still remember sitting on my Father's lap at the Circle Star, watching Sergio countless times,...the list goes on and on. I'm thankful that my parents shared this wonderful music with us.

No, I'm not "old" by normal standards, but I'm not 20 any more either! :wink:
My parents liked Sergio Mendes & Herb Alpert too, ut they never took me to their concerts. If anything, my parents had hid their albums from me for whatever reasons. I've been a Sergio Mendes fan since 1984(i was 13), & a Herb Alpert fan since 1987( I was 16). YE-ME-LE was the 1st Brasil 66 album that I had listened to on MY OWN. I've been DESPERATELY HOOKED on Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66 ever since. Sergio's music DOES appeal to children( SOME of his songs anyway.). My 5 year old daughter Angelea & 11 year old stepdaughter Gianna like Bim Bom, Festa, So Danco Samba, Daytripper, Berimbau, One Note Samba, The LIST never ENNDSS........! My children really LOVE Kevyn Lettau's BRASILJAZZ. Sergio's music is good for them. I just stopped Gianna from listening to her new Cristina Aguilera CD, so she's a little MAD at me right now. Cristina & Brittney Spears are 2 little tramps who can't dress themselves. Jon, you were ONLY 4 years old when Herb Alpert Presents... fisrt came out. As I said JON, YOU ARE NOT OLD!! My mom is OLD, she's 55 the same age as Karen Philipp( YOUR GIRLFRIEND). My maternal grandparents are ANCIENT, grandpa shares his birthday with Mr. Dom um Romao( 08/03/25). You're not 20 years old either, but today's typical 20 year old is a COCKY, DISRESPECTFUL KNOW-IT-ALL who can't tell the difference between his mouth and a hole in a wall. :tongue:

My favorite Brasil '66 picture is found on the back of the sampler album that A&M released called MUSIC BOX. Here's that picture:

B66MusBox.jpg

I wish a better version of this photo were available somewhere.

Harry
...playing with the scanner, online...

Harry said:
My favorite Brasil '66 picture is found on the back of the sampler album that A&M released called MUSIC BOX. Here's that picture:

B66MusBox.jpg

I wish a better version of this photo were available somewhere.

Harry
...playing with the scanner, online...
Harryyy... YOU can find that same picture on THE SALUTE TO SERGIO MENDES ana ALSO on the Sergio Mendes Discography. Actually, the band is SMILING more on THE SALUTE TO SERGIO MENDES. It's also one of my favorite pictures. Lani & Karen's dresses are SO TIGHT & SOOOO SHORT! The ladies look better in that picture than they do on MUSIC SCENE. I always thought that Karen looked a little too thin, but that picture shows us that Karen is curvy. Her hair is shorter too, and her bangs are visible. This is one of the VERY 1st pictures taken of the NEW Brasil 66 which was taken in March or April of 68. My parents had gotten married around that time. :D

Jilanha said:
Hey Jon, maye you can help me identify a couple singers in Sergio Mendes' Japan 1991 tourbook. On the cover, There is Sergio, Gracinha, & Kevyn Lettau with a gorgeous African American female singer. Who is she? Sorry, it's not Carol Rogers either. There is another photo with Kevyn Lettau, Chalo Eduardo, Micheal Shapiro, Vinnie Donofrio, & another blonde Caucasian female singer performing a gig. Who is the 2nd blonde? You can find these photos on the second website listed above. Thank you.

If it's the one I think you're talking about, it would the well-known jazz vocalist Dianne Reeves on the '91 tour book. She toured with Sergio for a couple of years.

The other singer with Kevyn (in the black and white photo) is Angie Jaree.

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Harry said:
My favorite Brasil '66 picture is found on the back of the sampler album that A&M released called MUSIC BOX...

There are so many great pics of Brasil '66, yes? I found Karen to be somewhat chameleon-like in appearance. I mean, in some photos she had a fresh, easy-going appearance. In others, she seemed to be polished, poised and coiffed. Other pics reveal a hard-edged Karen, someone who had "been there, done that..." Regardless, she was always lovely, appealing and somehow a mystery. That was Karen's appeal.

It's funny, but until Brandon and I found out that it was, indeed, Bibi Vogel on the cover of Herb Alpert Presents - Janis Hansen on the back - I always thought, "Gee, that Janis sure has the ability to look different from photo to photo..." My Mom, for years a Mendes fan, always insisted that these were two different women. Matter of fact, she also insisted that Janis the actress and Janis the singer were two different people. Turns out she was correct - proof that I should always listen to Mother! :oops:

I love the photos inside of Fool On The Hill. This is the first time we'd seen Sergio's girls smiling in a photo (other than Janis on the back cover of Herb Alpert Presents with that trademark grin). Of course, in the fine tradition of Brasil '66, the cover reveals an unsmiling Brasil '66 - albeit a new version of the group. With Ye-Me-Le, they all appear to have come straight from one hell of a party - all of them look happy as larks - respectively speaking, of course. Stillness reveals an unsmiling Brasil '66 looking to the future (Brasil '77 perhaps?) Amazing how much Gracinha resembled Lani on entering the group - I've always wondered if this was a trick of nature or somewhat intentional. Either way, Gracinha fit right in.

Oh, those Mendes girls. An interesting, beautiful mix of talent and sex appeal...no wonder Sergio's formula of "two girls singing in unison..." worked so well. It's definitely his trademark.

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom