• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Should There Be More TJB Remixes?

Would You LIke To See Another TJB Remix Project?

• Yes! I'd Like To Have Another Album Remixed.

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • I Would Like To Have Certain Songs Remixed.

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • No! There Should Never Be Another Attempt At A Remix Project.

Votes: 14 43.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Just a completely unscientific poll here: Would you like to see another TJB remix project(s) (like the Whipped Cream & Other Delights - Re-Whipped CD) in the future? If so, would you like to see another complete album (if so, name the album), various songs remixed (name the tunes), or never do another remix again (and tell us why).

Capt. Bacardi

I don't know if I'd want another full album remixed (although the Sounds Like... album is possible, just to make it longer!), but I can think of a few songs that I would be a good remix project: "Lonely Bull" would be one of them. I've always thought an "A Banda/Bean Bag/Limbo Rock" medley would be kind of cool with a more modern Brazilian beat. "Anna" would work in there as well.

Capt. Bacardi

As I mentioned in the "Rap For People Who Don't Like Rap" thread, I think Rise is the next album that might and I think really SHOULD get the Next Re-Mix... And I really think it WILL! Only eight songs, but maybe there will be "Version, 1", "Version, 2", etc. of certain selections, if not Unreleased Material done "re-mixed", as around that era there were 12" Discs of Herb's material and diiferent mixes of his stuff being available, anyway...

Dave

Going Places would be a good follow-up to the "Re-Whipped" concept... Only what to call it? Going More Places or Going Places - the Extended Vacation.

Rise is already dancified and I think would not benefit much from a "re-whipping..."

--Mr Bill

I agree , Going Places would be the next logical choice, & maybe Lonely Bull. The song itself Lonely Bull would be a nice single re-mix. That song can benefit from a new driving drum beat.

How about remixing the rest of the GREATEST HITS album ? Maybe the GH VOL ll, since those songs were Herb's favorites...and speaking of VOL ll...Herb has said he'd like to remix it...

Dan

I'd like to see some TJB in surround sound. There was a Quad-8 version of Whipped Cream and also Greatest Hits, so there must be more than a two track master out there.

TJB_QUAD.sized.jpg

I took the purist route and voted for no more remixes -- at least until the missing pieces of the catalog are reissued first.
JB

There should be an "I don't care one way or the other" option on the poll. That's my feeling. While I enjoy listening to the RE-WHIPPED album, it'll never take the place of the "real" album in my book.

Still, anything that keeps Herb in the public eye is a good thing, so maybe I'll vote yes.

What is the definition of remix?

I will vote for more Herb Alpert music, but I would prefer a more "traditional" sound with more reliance on the sound of acoustic and traditional sounds and instruments, less electronics, and less hip-hopishness. On the Rewhipped album, Whipped Cream, Taste of Honey, and Lollipops and Roses come the closest to the sound I'd enjoy with regard to other songs.

I think what I am saying is that I'd like very much to hear the oldies updated and/or rearranged. New arrangements, yes. Alteration and transformation into some other kind of sound, no. Maybe that isn't what remix is about - I don't know.

In concert, Lonely Bull had a more rock and roll sound..that kind of update would be interesting.

Why not just put a "poll" with the ALBUMS listed? I'd have done one myself, but someone already beat me to this "Remix Topic"; really, anyway, I'm afraid I would'a had a few "holes" in my "list"...

Dave :laugh:

Warm was a very good album. It holds up very well today. A great summer release. Marjorine gets my vote for most underrated Herb track.

Coney Island was a very underrated album. Dave Frishberg said the reformed TJB was really a jazz band, and I agree.

Plus, to cap off the project, I have two words for you, Bonus Tracks!

I would love to see remixes of the LONELY BULL or GOING PLACES albums. I think they would be fun.
I've enjoyed RE-WHIPPED. I made a disc containing both the original and remixed versions with each remix following each original track. I kept the tracks in the original WHIPPED CREAM order.
This is the way I've been able to appreciate the remix the most.

I skipped on RE-WHIPPED from the strength of sound clips. The only potentional I see is for the title track. So my vote is, "nay". :thumbsdn:

alpertfan said:
I skipped on RE-WHIPPED from the strength of sound clips. The only potentional I see is for the title track. So my vote is, "nay". :thumbsdn:

Sorry to hear that. RE-WHIPPED an album that just gets better every time I hear it - and I detest most modern music. This one is different - really different - and IMHO good, too.

I voted to have more remixes, based on my perceived strengths of RE-WHIPPED. I haven't had this much fun with Herb Alpert music since I bought a CD Recorder!

Harry

I agree with Harry that RE-WHIPPED gets better with repeated listens. I think the first time you hear it, you're (1) surprised at some of the sounds, and (2) so preoccupied trying to hear the old tracks and/or picking out the new horn solos, that you can't enjoy it with only one listen. More listens = rewards. If you bought the album and shelved it after one try, give it another spin. I predict you will like it better when you're more familiar with it.

I keep hearing things I didn't hear in the promo copy - but that might be the rather nifty stereo in my new car. Even so, I agree totally with Mike and Harry. The more you listen, the better it gets.

On the 19 hour flight to LA (yes, guys, 19 hours - with a chest infection - I was sooooo happy) I took the entire set of Shout! Factory reissues, plue "Timeless" and "Re-Whipped". I listened to them in chronological order (well I had plenty of time on my hands) but after WNML I was beginning to lust after "Re-Whipped". For some reason I listened to that twice through.... it's addictive!

TonyCurrie said:
On the 19 hour flight to LA (yes, guys, 19 hours - with a chest infection - I was sooooo happy)!

I feel for you Tony! I just went form LA to London on my way to Bahrain... But 19 hours? Did you fly in an old DC-3 or something? For us that was a nine hour leg (I think it's an hour longer the other direction) and the most miserable leg.

For sickness while travelling I've become an advocate of a product called AIRBORNE. It was developed by a teacher who was tired of her students getting her sick and getting sick when flying home at the holidays. I've found it really works -- and if you're already sick it minimizes the discomfort.

Hopefully you didn't get Herb sick! :laugh:

Can't wait to hear your production and more details -- I'm sure we all have a LOT of questions for you that will wait till airtime at least.

But to get back to the suject at hand, I am SURPRISED so many are saying "NO" to the idea of more projects like this. Again -- it's not a REPLACEMENT for the ORIGINAL!!! You're all acting like it's George Lucas's blasphemous scene replacement, alteration and re-tweaking of the classic Star Wars films.... It's NOT (dammit)!!! It's a NEW Alpert CD based on a classic. And argualbly his most listenable record since Fandango or (maybe) Keep Your Eye On Me. I love and will gladly accept more until the rest of the catalog is reissued...

--Mr Bill

No, I don't think there should be any remixes at all - who needs them? What's wrong with the originals? They don't need dressing up and I don't see their purpose at all. Perhaps one of the moderators should start a new poll entitled " Should the rest of the catalogue be released? " I think we all know the answer to that - maybe Herb should see for himself in black and white though. I think that this poll would be more relevant - and maybe Herb will finally change his mind?

I'd take remixes anyday over some of the old 80's & 90's solo albums
At least there is alot of the old Tijuana Brass sound shining through on re-whipped, A lot of new mellow Herbie trumpet extrordiares too!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom