shoulda/woulda/coulda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Song4uman

Hello Everyone.

This has probably been brought up before...I tried to check the old threads and there were so many pages....I just decided (out of laziness) to post.

What songs do you wish had been released as singles? What songs do you think would have done well if they had been released?

My List is:
Baby It's You
Reason to Believe
Let Me Be the One
A Song for You
This Masquerade
Jambalaya
Desperado or Happy
Can't Smile Without you
I Just Fall in Love Again
Now
Kiss me the way you did last night ( if it could have been released when initially recorded)

a few that I think shouldn't have been released.....or don't personally care for....
Your Baby Doesn't Love you Anymore
Beechwood 4-5789
Goofus

Thanks for listening.

Great topic.

Should have been released:

Help
Let Me Be The One
This Masquerade
Desperado

Should not have been released:

Goofus
Beechwood
I Believe You
Solitaire

And I'll go out on a big limb here and state that I Need To Be In Love should not have been released either. It's a beautiful song, but I clearly remember thinking, when I heard it on the radio, that it was not single material - and I remember a lot of people making similar comments at the time. It was too much of a ballad, and the addition of the choir made it church-like. It was so far off from what else was popular at the time. Solitaire and I Believe You was a sign, at least to me, that they had somehow lost touch with what the record buying public was looking for, and I think the charts back this up. They never lost their audience, but they weren't bringing converts into the fold either.

I know Richard has often stated that had he known Karen would be with us for so short a time he wouldn't have released certain songs, which makes me ask - why release them to begin with?

Help!
Jambalaya
You (beats I Need... all to pieces commercially)*
Let Me Be The One
B'Wana She No Home (moderate charting but an eye opener)
Happy (damned if it wasn't a flipside)

*(I already know about the Japanese TV show.
I am referring to chart action upon album release)

Shoulda:

Let Me Be The One (almost was, really)
Love Me For What I Am
Ordinary Fool
Sandy

Shouldn'ta:
Goofus (awful tune...just awful)
Solitaire (total funeral dirge.)
Beechwood 4-5789 (too cutesy)

Ed

Yes, it SHOULD'A:

Let Me Be The One

A Song For You

Reason To Believe

This Masquerade

Ummmmmm, NO!

Goofus

Boat To Sail

Druscilla Penny

All Of My Life

One Love

Because We Are In Love

Honolulu City Nights

-- Dave

Shoulda:

Love Me For What I Am
Desperado
You
I Just Fall In Love Again
Strength Of A Woman

shouldn'ts

Breaking Up is Hard To Do
Goofus
Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft
Back In My Life Again
Beachwood 4-5789

Shoulda:

Eve
I Can't Make Music
Desperado ( had Ronstadt and the Eagles not beat them to it)
I'm Caught Between Goodbye And I Love You
You
Ordinary Fool
B'wana She No Home...just for kicks. When I hear PASSAGE critiqued this song always gets notice.
Make Believe It's Your First Time ( Karen solo)
Make it Easy On Yourself ( a full version to have seen light in 1980 sparking a CarpenterS reunion)
Someday ( 1980 re-record...if only)
Strength of a Woman
Kiss Me the Way You Did Last Night ( great production complete with all of CarpenterS best tricks)

Maybe not:

I Won't Last A Day W/O You ( this tune seemed out of place having been released sooo late. Another lp was due here.)
Sing ( although this song grows on me for some reason)
A Kind Of Hush
I Need To Be in Love (simply because of the OK Chorale factor. This group would haunt me for many tunes to come.)
Make Believe It's Your First Time ( VOTH vers. again the Chorale and I don't get the same reading as in solo vers.)

Out of all the shoulda's I believe Make it Easy On Yourself sung so beautifully coulda been realized on a Music Music Music lp. Honorable mention is a single lifted from '74s Como medley It's Impossible. A House is not a Home from the summer replacement series in '72.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom