Simon & Garfunkel To Reunite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Looks like somebody needs some money. It's rumored that Simon & Garfunkle will do a concert tour sometime in the near future. Tuesday night they will make an announcement at the Bottom Line in NYC. I wonder how long they will last before they start fighting again...

Capt. Bacardi

I would like to see them. I doubt they'll be anywhere near here though.

I doubt they need the money though!

I know they reunited for a televised performance earlier this year, but you could still tell there was a wall between them. WHAT could be so bad that they'd still hold a grudge after all these years??

Apparently, not only are they going to tour, but they're also inviting the Everly Brothers along. Rumor is the Everlys will do about three songs andf then one with Simon & Garfunkel, somewhere in the middle of the concert.

Harry
...trying to remember the few facts he read at the Steve Hoffman forum, online...

Captain Bacardi said:
It's rumored that Simon & Garfunkle will do a concert tour sometime in the near future.

Simon & Garfunkle . . . I've seen that spelling on a jukebox title strip for their 1968 single "Scarborough Fair (/Canticle)." (The B-side had an "S" added to the end of the second word in "April Come She Will" on this same strip. Or, as they put it, "April Comes She Will.")

I just heard a short acoustic set by S&G from the Bottom Line in New York,recorded today with the announcement of the tour. WXPN, from the University of Pennsylvania,Philadelphia,home of the syndicated public radio show,World Cafe, broadcast the set this afternoon. I do not know who also received rights for broadcast,but it was a treat listening during the drive home. I understand Philly is not currently in the line up but I suspect that will clear up since Philly was an early support base for the duo. Mac

W.B. said:
Captain Bacardi said:
It's rumored that Simon & Garfunkle will do a concert tour sometime in the near future.

Simon & Garfunkle . . . I've seen that spelling on a jukebox title strip for their 1968 single "Scarborough Fair (/Canticle)."

Oh man, I didn't even realize I spelled it wrong. :oops: Or is it spelt? :D

I'd love to see these guys perform in concert. Their Central Park concert is still a favorite of mine (I need to get this DVD).

Capt. Bacardi

Here's the link for the cities they intend to visit!

http://www.nbc4columbus.com/entertainment/2467020/detail.html

Mike, check out the list and see if you are close enough to go. They are coming close enough to my home town, WOOOHOOOOOOO! so I'm gonna try to attend!!

This is awesome news! :cool: :cool: :cool:

'edit note'
ummmm... I just saw your addy on your posting.... sooo now you are planning a road trip? :wink: LOL!! good luck making time to go to the concert!

Those cities are:

Auburn Hills, Mich. (Detroit)
Cleveland
Columbus, Ohio
Chicago
St. Paul, Minn.
Denver
Seattle
Portland, Ore.
San Jose, Calif.
Oakland, Calif.
Las Vegas
Phoenix
St. Louis
Sacramento, Calif.
Anaheim, Calif.
San Diego
Los Angeles
Atlantic City, N.J.
Hartford, Conn.
Toronto
New York
Philadelphia
East Rutherford, N.J.
Boston
Washington, D.C.
Atlanta
Tampa, Fla.
Miami

Harry
...who's seen Art Garfunkel but never Paul Simon in concert, online...

This is great news to me for a couple of reasons. For one, I fondly remember their '80s concert tour. For another, a good friend of mine from Walt Disney World VIP Relations, Levi Feeny, went on to become Art's personal assistant. It will be nice to see Simon & Garfunkel on stage and get to see an old friend at the same time. As a matter of fact, I just received an e-mail from Levi this morning.

Ah! Good news all the way around!! :wink:

Jon

...who hopes Art will do his rendition of "Aquas de Marco" onstage, online...

S&G performed on the David Letterman show last night, playing "America" and "The Boxer". Paul Simon is really starting to look his age now. Garfunkel looks the same as always.

Capt. Bacardi

Gee, sorry I missed that one! I would love to have seen them perform on TV. I remember a funny moment during one of the '80s concerts. They broke into "Feeling Groovy," sang a few lines and stopped. Paul leaned into his microphone and said, "Well...it sounded good in its time! Remember...some songs are more timeless than others..." and they went on with the song.

Herb did a similar thing during the Bullish concert. He had just begun to play "Tijuana Taxi" when he stopped, leaned into his microphone and quipped, "Hey! It bought the shirt on my back!!" That brought down the house. :wink:

Jon

...who gets a kick out of artists who can laugh at themselves, online...

If you plan on seeing Simon and the Gar-funkster, be prepared to shell out the bucks! Spot-checked some prices, and we're looking at $250 in some venues for prime main-floor seating. No idea what Detroit (Auburn Hills) tickets will be, but I can guess at least $150. Me going? No thanks...I don't do arena shows anymore. Why listen to dreadfully muddy sound, watching inch-high performers several hundred feet away? If they were going to a smaller venue, I'd definitely consider it...but not over $100.

From what I've read elsewhere, their recent TV performance was uninspiring, with no real rapport between them. A shame really--after all these years, they could let their past differences fade away and just get together for the joy of making music. I'll just wait for the inevitable DVD. :winkgrin:

:shock: :o :shock:

I shouldn't be surprised, most things I truly wish to do are usually to pricy for my budget..

it looks as if I too shall wait for the CD~

*sigh*

~~~
I am a rock!

*gigglesnort* NOT!

A good question for another discussion topic here--which bands or musicians would you pay a lot to see, and which wouldn't you?

Similar to S&G is Fleetwood Mac. Tickets are (or were?) $135, plus $15 in convenience fees. My question: why?? They're not THAT good. I'd deduct 20% for no Christine McVie. Deduct another $40 for the "bail Mick Fleetwood out of bankruptcy #23" fund :wink: and the tickets would be a fair price. :D

confirmed: Columbus Ohio Schottenstein Arena Tickets are ranging 50$ to 125$

I'd be willing to pay 50-60$ but not for nose-bleed seats! lol..

me~ the not going to the concert gypsy~

So, does anyone else think A 'new' CD will be available from the first show by the second?? ummmm....

Detroit (Palace of Auburn Hills) is actually S&G's first stop on the tour.

I would almost expect a live CD or DVD from this tour. Unless they are hell-bent on NOT preserving this one for posterity. :wink: It appears as though their other concert video is a perennial good seller.

This past June, I saw Peter Gabriel for the first time in concert. At the end of the show, they had a URL on the screen announcing that the evening's performance would be available for ordering on CD. My copy arrived just over a month after ordering. The price was a very reasonable $15 (plus shipping) for what came as a 2-CD set. It's a "warts and all" presentation of the concert with no overdubs...a great souvenir, I think. :) What made Detroit's concert unique was the technical difficulties onstage--the monitors were erratic, but at the beginning of "Solisbury Hill", Rachel Z's keyboards were completely dead. After stopping the band, PG played a vocal/piano version of "Here Comes The Flood" while the staff worked on the problems. Those little things that make each concert unique are captured!

Only a few bands have done this, but it could be a growing trend in the future. I'd also add that it's for the few bands that are confident enough with their performances that they don't have to worry about covering up errors with studio overdubs. I think S&G would be a good seller if they offered this...as we never know if this is going to be the last time the duo ever gets together.

Info about the Encore Series is at http://www.themusic.com . So far, only three bands are in the series (Peter Gabriel, The Who and Duran Duran).

When I flew to London last year to see Barry Manilow in concert, I payed 37 British Pound for it. Guess, this should be 50 US Dollars.

For Manilow, I would pay almost every price. Same goes for Simon and Garfunkel. Hope, they will do some concerts here in Europe. In February, I saw Art Garfunkel in concert here in Bonn, and it was very good, though not the greatest concert I ever saw.

Bruno
listening to Diane Schuur: Midnight, composed and produced by Barry Manilow

Although the Detroit show sold out very quickly, here are the prices:

PLATFORM SEATING-END OF ARENA
$125.00

FLOOR SEATING/RESERVED
$125.00 - $205.00

CLUB (100 OR LOWER LEVEL)
$79.50 - $205.00

LOGE (200 OR UPPER LEVEL)
$59.50 - $79.50

No thanks.

Nonsense, nonsense, nonsense!! This is precisely why we have not seen Celine Dionne in Las Vegas. She's an incredible vocalist, I'm sure she puts on a great show (although it's been panned by critics...then again, what do critics know?) and she has the new venue, but I hardly think it's worth close to $150.00 for one performance. Give me a break!

It turns out my friend, Levi (a former co-worker from Walt Disney World), is Art's personal assistant. Had he not arranged tickets, we would not attend the S&G concert at all.

We look forward to the show, but wouldn't pay those price($) for either of 'em.

Jon

...frugal, online...

Someone's paying! Ours sold out the first day. Others sold out within minutes. Maybe it's a Boomer thing, eh? :confused:

Stanley Clarke and Jean-Luc Ponty are coming to Music Hall next month. Haven't seen Stanleeeeeeey in years, but this would be a third time for Ponty. Maybe. Last time at that venue, $45. This time? $75. It's called "second thoughts". Or, would I be that happy going to see it, knowing that it cost so much? I doubt it.

$50 to $200 for tickets and it sold out in one day...but nobody can afford $15 for CDs. Go figure.

The most I ever paid for a concert was $75 for Phil Collins in 1994, in Los Angeles. What sucked was, the face price of the tickets was only $37.50, but the scalpers had all the tickets bought up.

As far as paying the "face value" of tickets, top honors go to Fleetwood Mac in 1997 in Fargo, North Dakota. Those tickets were $65. That was an amazing show and worth every penny. I wouldn't pay that price now though since Christine McVie isn't there.

What's most amazing to me is I paid just $7 to see Fleetwood Mac the first time, in 1976, and that concert also had Jeff Beck and Henry Gross on the bill! It was an outdoor concert -- no reserved seats.

Won't have to worry about S&G since they're not coming near here -- but I'll buy the DVD. Their "Concert in Central Park" video is one of my favorite music vids.

Mike Blakesley said:
but I'll buy the DVD. Their "Concert in Central Park" video is one of my favorite music vids.

That "Concert In Central Park" was just recently released on DVD for the first time back in August. I picked it up at the Virgin Megastore in Florida while on vacation. There has been some message board rumblings about the DVD not including the (in)famous "Late, Great Johnny Ace" song where Paul Simon is nearly accosted on stage by a fan yelling "I've gotta talk to you" as he's being forced off stage. A chilling moment to be sure, but rest assured, it's on the DVD, right after Art's "Heart In New York" in the same 'chapter'.

Harry
...unsure of pricing for seats in Philly yet, online...

If I wanted to spend the money to go to an arena, I COULD watch eBay for tickets. In Michigan, ticket sellers are forbidden by law to sell tickets for more than face value. Even if the seller is out of state, if the venue is in Michigan, it can't sell for more than face value.

On the flip side, I have tickets tomorrow night for a triple bill including BR549, The Blasters, and Rev. Horton Heat. Unfortunately, I won't be able to go. I got a pair of tickets on eBay for $5, so I'm not out a large sum of money. ClearChannel has something called GetAccess where you can often get dirt cheap tickets for certain events. I'm sure that has to be a burr in Ticketmaster's sides! And it's also the case of choosing between the lesser of two evils.

Good day to look for tickets is a day or two before a show. Plans fall through, and sellers can't sell them even at face value. That was the situation with my Steely Dan tickets...I eventually got $120 for the three I had, which wasn't bad...but at least the free replacement tickets got us closer and more on center. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom