1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Official Review [Single]: 14. "I WON'T LAST A DAY WITHOUT YOU"/"ONE LOVE" (1521-S)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Sep 10, 2016.

Which side is your favorite?

1. Side A: "I Won't Last A Day Without You"

23 vote(s)
    76.7%
  2. Side B: "One Love"

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. a comment about the video, I was part of the 70's and NO ONE wore anything like that hideous dress.

2. CraigGA

CraigGA Well-Known Member

Harry: in the MFSL version the liner notes from Richard say it is the single version on the CD, and it obviously is not. Maybe the vocals are, but Tony's guitar additions are not there. Do you know why?

3. Yes. It's a mistake.

4. Brian

Brian Active Member

In an interview I saw, Paul Williams said that Richard changed the key of the bridge in 'I Won't Last a Day Without You', ("Touch me and I end up singing...", etc). Paul said that if Richard hadn't done this, he feels Carpenters' version would have been a bigger hit. However, I have versions by Diana Ross, Maureen McGovern, Paul Williams and others who keep the song as originally written and I feel that Richard made the verses, choruses and bridge fit together much more harmoniously. In short, Carpenters' unique and altered arrangement is the best.

Karen's lowest note on this recording is very low, but she sings it with such ease that you don't realise how low it actually is.

I think that Karen's voice sounds incredibly rich and warm in the verses and the bridge but sounds harsh in the choruses. I think it was 'The Untold Story' that revealed that she had laringitis while she was recording the song. Last time I heard 'I Wont Last a Day Without You', I thought that Karen didn't sound too good in the choruses. A bit grating, actually.

I love the stacked vocals at the end of the song, where K&R sing, "Won't last a day without you, without you".

CraigGA likes this.
  5. Brian

Brian Active Member

I agree. That phrase sounds clunky on Paul Williams' version but heavenly on Carpenters' version. Then again, most lines sound clunky, the way Paul Williams records them(!) Seeing as Paul Williams is focused upon as the genius out of him and Roger Nichols, I always assumed that he wrote the music for the pair's collaborations. I recently found out that was Roger Nichols. Certainly, the lyrics of their songs are great, but I feel that the music is greater. Maybe Roger Nichols didn't want to be in the lime-light, whereas Paul Williams was more heavily into the entertainment business, as a song writer, recording artist and actor, so was probably happier to step forward for interviews, etc. I'm not negating his contributions, btw. 'We've Only Just Begun', 'Rainy Days and Monday's', 'Let Me Be the One' and 'I Won't Last a Day Without You' are wholly magnificent songs. And I've always loved 'I Kept on Loving You', too - one of the few Richard lead vocals that I like. I love all of the Paul Williams-related Carpenters songs but 'Ordinary Fool' - and 'Ordinary Fool' is even OK. I just don't think it's anything special at all - probably why K&R left it off their albums, initially. But 'I Won't Last a Day Without You' is a classic.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017