1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Official Review [Single]: 21. "GOOFUS"/"BOAT TO SAIL" (1859-S)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, May 4, 2017.

Which side is your favorite?

1. Side A: "Goofus"

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  2. Side B: "Boat To Sail"

19 vote(s)
    63.3%
  1. MORE THAN DANCING was only available in the us as an import, and they were few and far between. C&T left A&M because they felt the A&M machine had lost confidence in them. they went to CASABLANCA were they had a #1 hit. due to multi reasons CASABLANCA folded as their second album was released. I think the DANCING album must have been self funded because it was on a MOONLIGHT AND MAGNOLIAS label; everything TONI did was associated with moonlight and magnolias.

Brian likes this.
  2. Boat to Sail was the B side here in Australia as well.

newvillefan and Brian like this.
  3. Graeme

Graeme Active Member

Goofus. I just like the whole feel of it and Karen delivers an upbeat vocal, there are great harmonies, an interesting arrangement and a tuba. It's a track that would have inevitably appeared on a Richard Carpenter Trio album had rock tuba taken off.

Boat to Sail is a close second (though almost won if only for that moment when Karen does that final exhale at the 3.03 mark).

Brian likes this.
  4. Brian

Brian Active Member

I agree. I reckon 'Goofus' is great! I love the tuba. I love the harmonies. I love the range and the fun of the song. It would be one of the best three songs on the 'A Kind of Hush' album.

I don't think I am such a big fan of the final 'Ah' on 'Boat to Sail', or any of the other 'Ahs'. 'Boat to Sail' is a reasonable song, but nowhere near as enjoyable as 'Goofus'.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  5. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    My vote goes to Goofus, I really like that song. I have never been able to get into Boat to Sail and usually skip it when it appears on rotation. I have a test pressing 45 rpm of Goofus that sounds really nice and being issued with a mono recording is terrific. I like Karen's vocal performance on this track and the sax solo and drums are neat.

Brian likes this.
  6. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

^^Yes, I have often stated--and, still believe-- that Carpenters'
    Goofus has a great arrangement.
    And, those harmonies !
    I do love the song !

Brian likes this.