1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Official Review [Single]: 21. "GOOFUS"/"BOAT TO SAIL" (1859-S)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, May 4, 2017.

Which side is your favorite?

1. Side A: "Goofus"

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. Side B: "Boat To Sail"

23 vote(s)
    67.6%
  1. MORE THAN DANCING was only available in the us as an import, and they were few and far between. C&T left A&M because they felt the A&M machine had lost confidence in them. they went to CASABLANCA were they had a #1 hit. due to multi reasons CASABLANCA folded as their second album was released. I think the DANCING album must have been self funded because it was on a MOONLIGHT AND MAGNOLIAS label; everything TONI did was associated with moonlight and magnolias.

Brian likes this.
  2. Boat to Sail was the B side here in Australia as well.

newvillefan and Brian like this.
  3. Graeme

Graeme Active Member

Goofus. I just like the whole feel of it and Karen delivers an upbeat vocal, there are great harmonies, an interesting arrangement and a tuba. It's a track that would have inevitably appeared on a Richard Carpenter Trio album had rock tuba taken off.

Boat to Sail is a close second (though almost won if only for that moment when Karen does that final exhale at the 3.03 mark).

Jeff and Brian like this.
  4. Brian

Brian Active Member

I agree. I reckon 'Goofus' is great! I love the tuba. I love the harmonies. I love the range and the fun of the song. It would be one of the best three songs on the 'A Kind of Hush' album.

I don't think I am such a big fan of the final 'Ah' on 'Boat to Sail', or any of the other 'Ahs'. 'Boat to Sail' is a reasonable song, but nowhere near as enjoyable as 'Goofus'.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  5. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    My vote goes to Goofus, I really like that song. I have never been able to get into Boat to Sail and usually skip it when it appears on rotation. I have a test pressing 45 rpm of Goofus that sounds really nice and being issued with a mono recording is terrific. I like Karen's vocal performance on this track and the sax solo and drums are neat.

Brian likes this.
  6. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

^^Yes, I have often stated--and, still believe-- that Carpenters'
    Goofus has a great arrangement.
    And, those harmonies !
    I do love the song !

Brian likes this.
  7. GaryAlan

8. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

The worst two songs on the album paired as a single. Who made these decisions?

Geographer likes this.
  9. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Active Member

10. GaryAlan

Had to chime in--again--regarding the song
    Goofus.....
    First, it is of some interest to note that (according to the website Who's sampled...)
    the song Goofus occurs in very few incarnations. Of those, fewer still with vocals.
    And, that being said, my assessment remains unaltered:
    Creative arrangement , great harmonies and fluid vocals.
    Really, for me, this song is a winner off of the Hush album.

What does not help this song is the attempt to lip-sync in the 1978 Space Encounters Special.
    That "shtick" does it no favors. Too bad.

Brian and Jeff like this.
  11. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

I'm split I love the background vocals and arrangements of both. I voted so long ago I forget which one I chose. I choose both this morning. Well heck, any morning.

12. Brian

Brian Active Member

I agree, GaryAlan. There's something really different and appealing about the song and it sounds great. It's always been one of my favourites from 'A Kind of Hush'. I really dislike the video from the special, though.