1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Official Review [Single]: 9. "IT'S GOING TO TAKE SOME TIME"/"FLAT BAROQUE" (1351-S)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Jun 11, 2016.

Which side is your favorite?

1. Side A: "IT'S GOING TO TAKE SOME TIME"

35 vote(s)
    92.1%
  2. Side B: "FLAT BAROQUE"

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. What exactly qualifies a music group/artist as a "singles act"? Is it that they had very well known high charting singles? As of course a major fan I don't think that the album cuts were 'filler' at all and were crafted with the same care that the singles received. Plus the albums sold incredibly well - people bought the LP's even when they already had the singles that would be on it.

And the deliemma with ASFY as a single also applies to This Masquerade; everyone always says that it too should have been a single release, but I fail to see how it would have done well on radio. Both are pure class and aural elegance but on AM radio the languid, steady movement of the music wouldn't have captivated listeners like Rainy Days or Superstar, despite all being spectacular songs. Even if "Masquerade" and ASFY were edited it still wouldn't have made much of a difference.

2. Song4uman

Song4uman Active Member

I do love Masquerade and A Song for You....two of my favorites. Because of that, I am probably biased in my feelings whether they would have been a hit or not...

I did look up the Billboard year end songs of 1972. The First Time Ever I saw Your Face ended the year at #1 with a radio edit of 4:15.

Jonathan

3. Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know the single version of Flat Baroque is the version that appears on Carpenters: The Complete Singles.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2016
  4. We'll agree to disagree. See posts 18 through 25 in this thread where we detail the differences in the single mix - and I've just re-verified that the single mix IS NOT on THE COMPLETE SINGLES - certainly not on my copy.

The two mixes are very close in sound to a casual listening. It's only detailed listening (such as with headphones) that will reveal the differences, most notable at around 0:18.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  5. I stand corrected, I have gone back and listened again, and I could tell the difference, thank you Harry.

6. I always thought Flat Baroque sounded like a theme for a PBS cooking show.

7. BarryT60

BarryT60 Well-Known Member

Won't Last a Day would have been a better single instead of IGTTST.... or AS4Y... I was displeased that it was released in 1974 - but imagine it would have gone to number 1 in '72.

CraigGA likes this.