• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Single versions vs. album versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgarvin

I don't have all the Herb & Brass singles for comparison, but here are differences I have picked up between the singles and the album versions of the same songs (other than the simple mono/stereo difference):

ACAPULCO 1922: Album version has more percussion than single version.
GREAT MANOLETE: Single version has higher-pitch guitar solo in middle.
TIJUANA TAXI: Single version has more taxi horns than stereo album version, which in turn has more than the mono album version.
ZORBA THE GREEK: Single version is shorter and a live version.
TOWN WITHOUT PITY: No howling in single version.
THE HAPPENING: Album version has an extra note at the very end.
TO WAIT FOR LOVE: Album version's vocals were completely re-recorded, and the fade-out happens sooner.
ZAZUEIRA: A little extra trumpet during the first chorus in single version.
FIRE AND RAIN: Single version is different from Lost Treasures version - trumpet is NOT muted.
CARMINE: Single version is shorter.
WHISTLESTAR: Orig. 45 version is different from Lost Treasures version.

Can anyone point out any other differences? I'd like to know if its worth seeking out any other of the singles for significant differences.

Once Herb gets into his solo career, there are lots more differences as well, as many of the singles are edited versions.

Well, don't forget "The Lonely Bull" which added a new trumpet track to make a stereo album version.

"Marjorine" on the single eliminates the slow clarinet opening.

"Wade In The Water" is a different dedicated mono single mix on the 45.

There may be others that I'm forgetting.

Harry

"Zorba" is not "live", they just added background people simulating a club performance, as well as a trombone.

"All My Loving" is different on 45, as it doesn't have the harmony trumpets on some spots.

You should also check out the mono LPs vs the stereo LPs since there's a few differences, especially on The Lonely Bull album.

There should be a thread about this from a few years back where we had a full list of items. You may want to try the Search button for this.

Capt. Bacardi

there is 2 more single versions without her. warm album or cd
without her in the middle the horn section is quieter.
margarine the beginning is a lot different than the warm album or cd the clarinet is different.
warm cd is only availible as a itunes download only

but other than that you got them all covered with the different mixes.
you have a good ear.you mention tijuana taxi
the album and cd is different.

The mono album version after the first break when they rest no honk. but on the stereo version you hear the honk. and on spanish flea the single version you hear more of the maracs and on both the mono and stereo on going places you hear less.

and the single version of a taste of honey when the key changes. the mono album and the single from whipped cream and other delights. herb does not add a note where as the stereo version of the album and the cd he adds a note.

and lastly on what now my love the album version in both mono and stereo are different.

on plucky from the same album the first releases of the album back in 1966 on the both the stereo and mono versions and the single on the other side of the single is the work song.is the standard version we are all use to hearing.

but on the remastered version the new signature series
the middle is totally different you hear a honky tonk piano and trombone which is we here on the corner call the strip tease version and brasilia is different at the beginning from the greatest hits vol, 2 album, but I am going let you do that research. so as I said lgarvin you got the rest of the information right. and as I said you have a excellent hear as to hear all of the different mixes
so enjoy the music.
take care
bob

and as harry and the captain mention, the lonely bull album in mono the 2 songs that are different mexico and crawfish different horn parts in the middle.

and wade in the water. the single only right at the beginning you hear the bass more.

if you get board sometimes lgarvin you can check them out. lol
take care
bob

Rise had a radio version and the long version is on the album. Rotation, I believe, was an extended cut, too. Red Hot he recorded twice - on Beyond, I believe it was shorter, and on Magic Man it was longer. Right?

Red Hot was re-mixed for BLOW YOUR OWN HORN in '83. Then there was the single edit of that remix. Then there was the extended [3rd] mix on the 12" single, which was six minutes long.

What Now My Love, on the original LP, had a great reverb on the trumpet track, but the 45 and all other subsequent releases had next-to-no reverb.

and one more single release I forgot you know when old age sets in. the single version of mexican corn the album,mono and stereo and CD versions does not have the piano part and the single version does.
bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom