• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Slow Dance - revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaflyer98

Every now and then, a song from a Carpenters album will get in to my head, one that maybe I haven't heard in awhile or haven't played a lot.
Currently, I have been playing "Slow Dance" a lot (from "Lovelines") and am really enjoying this song. Great vocals, lead and background, instrumentation is awesome. I think I misjudged this song when Lovelines was first released because I knew it was originally recorded by Kristy & Jimmy McNichol (although I have never heard their version), and, to be truthful, never liked their appearance(s) on the Carpenters TV specials. I thought they were way too corny and did not help the Carpenters image at the time of the original airings of the specials.
All that said, I am loving this song! Anyone else have any thoughts on "Slow Dance"?

Hi, Patrick. I've always loved this song ever since I heard it on the Japanese release'Treasures', 2 cd set made of non-singles. Richard wrote:
This came to my attention by way of actress Kristy McNichol who guested on two of our televison specials. Kristy and her brother Jimmy had recorded an album for RCA in 1978, not long before they appeared on our fourth special "Christmas Portrait". The album includes "Slow Dance" which to me has a mild "oldies" feel to it. I played it for Karen and she agreed that we should record it. Our version was recorded in 1978, during the same session that produced "Honolulu City Lights". Strings and flute were added in 1983.

So without Kristy and Jimmy, we couldn't have our duo sing this song.

Later, when Lovelines was released, Richard also adds:
Recorded during the same session as was "Honolulu City Lights." I heard this song on Kristy and Jimmy McNichol's album and subsequently played it for Karen, who loved it. It was somehow reminiscent to both of us of song from the sixties and though I had misgivings about the lyric being too "young" we nevertheless recorded it. I'm glad we did.

I feel Richard underestimates this song a bit. Good vocals, thick harmony and effective arrangements. One of the good reasons why I support this song is that it makes me sing along every time I hear it.
The flute sounds really comfortable on my ears though it wasn't mixed in when Karen was still alive so she didn't know how the mix came out after all.
To me Karen sounds a little oomphy with its opening whispery 'ah' and her phrazing in her rich chest voice as 'someone like you' you hear at the end of the song.
If the lyrics are a tad too young, then I think Karen and Richard waited for a more mature song to come, so that childlike 'Slow Dance' grew into adultlike 'Touch Me When We're Dancing.'
If they had cut it as a single release then, they might not have had a hit with it.
Still, good songs do not always have to do with hit charts.

Slow Dance is one of my top 5 all time favourite Carpenters songs. It's so innocent and yet so romantic at the same time. I loved the fact that it got as far enough down the recording route for Richard and Karen to record all the backing vocals. I believe it was virtually a finished track, only the flute (or oboe) and some overdubs were added in 1983, which suggests it was a contender for Voice Of The Heart at one point.

On a related note, I have the unsweetened demo of Honolulu City Lights, and it's actually the same take as what was released. So that song features what is probably yet another work lead. It's basically Karen, drums piano and guitars. There's no strings, no choir. The drummer counts the musicians in at the beginning, and at the end of the take, Karen proclaims 'that was good!' :tongue:

Stephen

This tune is actually my favorite track from this album. Those west-coast vocal doubles and harmonies hooked me upon first listen...

"I'd never thought you come my way, I'd never thought I hear you say "dance with me?"

This is the most touching phrase for me...I actually cried a few times upon hearing it.

Kenny

I happened to find the Kristy/Jimmy McNicholl Album containing the song a few years ago - believe me, their version really pales in comparison with the Carpenters version. Like many others here, this is one of my fave Carpenters tracks.

About a year or two ago Slow Dance was playing in my head non-stop for weeks. It's a great song...but I'm afraid to listen to it much afraid that it will get stuck in the noggin' once more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom