• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

SM & SOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMK

Contributor
With this talk of possible Sergio collaborators, I'd much prefer to hear Sergio with Swing Out Sister and/or Basia rather than Sade. I love a lot of Sade's stuff, but it's rather monochromatic (one of my vocalists used to joke that Sade made a career out of a minor 9th chord). I've been listening to a lot of Swing Out Sister's rarer Japanese releases the last few days and the Sergio influence is all-pervasive. People talk a lot about the Bacharach or Webb touch to their tunes, but what I really hear is...Sergio!! (Of course, I hear Sergio in just about everything, save maybe Conway Twitty :tongue: ). Basia's beautiful timbre would also be a great match with any Sergio tune, IMHO.

Jeff,

Paul Jeromack and I talked about this very thing last evening. SOS and Basia would make wonderful Mendes vocalists, indeed. Depending on what he did with her, Sade could be sensational. Agreed on her style (smoke-filled lounge, glasses clinking in the background, small combo on stage...)

Oh well, Paul and I couldn't agree with you more in regard to SOS and Basia. I always thought Basia should work with Sergio in some capacity anyway. Perhaps, this will be her chance. Like we said in another thread, we'll have to see how this plays itself out.

Jon

Definite thumbs up to Basia with Sergio--she did a nice "Waters of March". You'd think she was part Brazilian, not 100% Polish. :)

Sade is definitely an acquired taste--as I don't like many female singers at all, her lower register singing is something I really go for. Her second and third albums are better in my book, but I don't see her as fitting the higher-energy Sergio Mendes style.

As Swingout Sister is one of my favorites, I'd tend to agree. Much of their stuff does sound like Sergio Mendes doing Bacharach tunes. Sade I can take or leave, mostly leave, and Basia is OK, but still not a favorite.

My guess is that this album will pair Sergio with semi-well-known artists from the Universal stable, perhaps a Sheryl Crow (who seems to guest just about anywhere), or a Vanessa Carlton. This would be an attempt to capitalize on the success that Santana has had in his pairings with modern artists like Michelle Branch. Doing old songs though? I hope they do some new, original songs as well. We already have a remake of "Mas Que Nada" from 1989 on Arara.

Harry
...about to open the wine to have with dinner, online...

Hey....I thought "Mas Que Nada" and "Mais Que Nada" were two totally different tunes. (And so the veritable can of worms is re-opened). :rolleyes:

Harry said:
As Swingout Sister is one of my favorites, I'd tend to agree. Much of their stuff does sound like Sergio Mendes doing Bacharach tunes.
ARE SWING OUT SISTER STILL IN EXISTENCE? I HAVEN'T HEARD ANY MATERIAL FOR WHAT SEEMS A VERY LONG TIME FROM THEM. AREN'T THEY A LITTLE MORE JAZZY THAN SERGIO THOUGH :?:

My guess is that this album will pair Sergio with semi-well-known artists from the Universal stable, perhaps a Sheryl Crow (who seems to guest just about anywhere), or a Vanessa Carlton. This would be an attempt to capitalize on the success that Santana has had in his pairings with modern artists like Michelle Branch. Doing old songs though?

WHAT ABOUT SANTANA AND SERGIO, THAT WOULD MAKE AN INTERESTING COLLABORATION. I CANNOT IMAGINE SHERYL CROW AND SM THOUGH. VC, YES MAYBE. SADE DOES SOUND LIKE A GOOD MIX TO ME THOUGH. HOWEVER, I SAY BRING BACK LANI... :nut:
Harry

Lord Lurking said:
ARE SWING OUT SISTER STILL IN EXISTENCE? I HAVEN'T HEARD ANY MATERIAL FOR WHAT SEEMS A VERY LONG TIME FROM THEM.

Yes, Swing Out Sister's latest album came out in Japan in 2001. It's called Somewhere Deep in The Night. If I'm not mistaken, I believe it finally got a UK release last year too. IMHO, though the album's not quite up to past releases, the Swing Out Sister trademark sound remains intact.

Lord Lurking said:
AREN'T THEY A LITTLE MORE JAZZY THAN SERGIO THOUGH :?:

Sergio can get pretty jazzy at times. Check out some of his pre-A&M releases.

Harry
NP: Somewhere Deep In The Night, Swing Out Sister[/i]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom