• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Smokey Robinson

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodjeans

Has anyone heard, or even better, know how to obtain the S.M. tracks where Richard arranged the backing vocals?

Smokey Robinson's 1985-86 album SMOKE SIGNALS for Tamla/Motown has several big A&M connections.

First off is Tony Peluso, famed guitarist on Carpenters "Goodbye To Love", who served as co-producer for much of the album as well as the recording and mixing engineer on some of the tracks. Tony also had a guitar solo on "Wishful Thinking".

Then there's Richard Carpenter, who appeared on several tracks of the album. He sang backup and arranged the backing vocals on both "Sleepless Nights" and "Hanging On By A Thread", providing "additional keyboards" to the latter song.

And we can't forget Herb Alpert, whose trumpet solo work graces the song "Te Quiero Como Si No Hubiera Un Mañana (I'm Gonna Love You Like There's No Tomorrow)".

Other familiar names among the studio giants who worked on this album are Neil Stubenhaus on bass and Paulinho Da Costa on percussion.

When I first acquired the LP (a CD was issued briefly) I did a bit of research on it. From what I learned, the album is considered among the "runts" of Smokey's litter, and was apparently produced during a difficult period in his life.

It sounds like a typical '80s album with lots of keyboard synth work. Richard Carpenter's influence is all over the tracks to which he contributed, and Herb's solo is good, if understated.

Harry

Yes. This must be the album that I mean. I knew very little about it until your reply but I had heard of a track called "Hanging On By A Thread".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom