• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

"So Many Stars," from LOOK AROUND

Status
Not open for further replies.

seashorepiano

Speaking of a particular track, So Many Stars, from "Look Around," was it common for the session orchestra to overdub after the vocalist (Lani Hall) recorded, or was it vice versa? In other words, did Lani record after or before the strings were overlaid? I wonder, because I notice that, save for the strings, there is little other accompaniment. :oops:

seashorepiano said:
Speaking of a particular track, So Many Stars, from "Look Around," was it common for the session orchestra to overdub after the vocalist (Lani Hall) recorded, or was it vice versa? In other words, did Lani record after or before the strings were overlaid? I wonder, because I notice that, save for the strings, there is little other accompaniment. :oops:

Hi Sheashorepiano,

Look around was mainly recorded at Sunset Sound recording, so here is my opinion about SO MANY STARS:

As I listened carefully, this song was divided in 4 parts. Vocals on 2 tracks, Rhythmic guitar (John Pisano) Sergio’s acoustic piano with the bass and soft percussion directly on 2 tracks, on 2 other tracks, Strings and Harp
and on the one track Sergio’s harpsichord solo.

The vocals are very much in front even the guitar is still strong at the first part of the song. So I think Lani first sung along with the already recorded rhythm track and later they added on 2 tracks the recorded strings. Perhaps, i’m not sure about it but I think they recorded here voice again when they sweetened the whole song in the mix. This was possible at the time (1967-1968) as you see in the lines underneath:

As I know from recording industry publications in the past, the Sunset Sound recording was the first recording studios in the USA which obtained the 3M 8track recording machine. At the time all recording in the world were done on 4 track machines (even Sergeant Peppers from the Beatles was recorded on 4 track machines). EQUINOX and the DOORS debut album were the first records ever recorded on a 8 track machine (Bruce Botnick: engineer on both of them).

So many stars, a wonderfully song with music by Sergio, Lyrics by the great husband /wife team Alan & Marilyn Bergmann. Many cover interpretations by amongst others:
Sara Vaughan, The Singers Unlimited, Helen Merrill and the Brazilian singer Zizzi Possi.

All the best,
Aqua do brasil

I have it on good authority that all of the Brasil '66 sessions were done this way: 1) rhythm section laid down their tracks (perhaps with "scratch" vocals; 2) vocals were added; 3) orchestra was added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom