"Sometimes" solo performance by Richard at R&KC Performing Arts Center February 1998

Without A Song

"Sometimes" is one of the best-loved album cuts in Karen and Richard's repertoire; written by Henry Mancini and his daughter, Felice, who wrote the timeless lyrics. Part of its charm unquestionably is it features just Karen on vocals and Richard on piano.

When I saw Richard perform in concert on Valentine's Day 1998 at the performing arts center named for him and his sister on the campus of Cal State Long Beach, he said during the concert that he had talked to longtime Carpenters fan and music critic Paul Grein after his concert the night before and Grein suggested he consider performing "Sometimes" that Saturday night, which he proceeded to do. It was a beautiful rendition. Obviously not in the same league as the version with Karen on lead vocals but heartfelt just the same.

Anyone else here attend that concert? I'd like to know if I'm remembering this correctly. I know it's a real long shot, but if Richard recorded that concert, I hope he considers releasing his version of "Sometimes" someday. That song is on my mind a lot these days as friends and loved ones of mine begin to pass away with ever more frequency. It makes me treasure friends and loved ones still here all the more, which is what "Sometimes" reminds us to do.

Back
Top Bottom