• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sonia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Bill

Gentlemanly Curmudgeon
Staff member
Before I headed down to the Philippines for a few days I happend to hear a version of "So Nice" in a particular sushi bar I frequent. Ever curious to whonit was, and given my "new to Kanji" status I gave up trying to figure out who it was.

So here I am a month later in Manila sitting in the lounge drinking San Miguel when all to my ears I hear taht same version! Thanks ot the hostess I learn it is a Japanese artist and they are playing the entire CD. At first I'm shocked at what I hear, but it has grown on me. Today I found the CD here in Manila (for 450 pisos or roughly 8 bucks). In Kapan it would cost me over $20!!! It's called In A Bossa Nova Mood by Sonia.

Anyway, I learn that Sonia is NOT the singer's name, but rather the band's name, a la Blondie. Anyway, I'll give a more interesting review after the San Miguel has cleared my veins and head. But to whet your appetite, I'll mention two A&M connections: A samba version of Joe Jackson's "Steppin' Out" and the fact it's on the Japanese Alfa Records, once an A&M licensee/licenser...

--Mr Bill

I was almost guessing it was Bebel Gilberto (before you mentioned the artist): she does a version of "So Nice" on her Tanto Tempo album. That's another good one. :)

Okay, so here's my review or, more appropriately, my "take" on this CD...

At first when you see the song titles you'd think, "those aren't bossa nova tunes."And you'd be right. However arranger Ryuji Mureyama has managed to convert all these tunes into mildly stirring bossa nova arrangemts that sound amazingly like they were recorded in the bossa nova heyday of the early 60s. Singer Paula Terry sounds almost as good as Astrud Gliberto and (dare I say it) better than Wanda (de)Sah. The instrumentation (all japanese musicians) is rounded out by a sax, piano, bass, guitar and drums.

A rundown of the tracks reveals fairly current numbers as well as bossa nova standards:

1-"The Sign" a pop hit for Abba wannabees Ace Of Bass a few years back. Rendered here as abossa nova it took me a fewe seconds to figure out why it was new and fresh, yet familiar.

2-"I Can't Go For That" Yes... The Hall & Oates tune. While this one worls as well, it is IMO the weakest trrack on the disc. Hall & Oates bossa nova style? Please! Music does have its limits!

3-"Wave" The classic Jobim tune. Truly as captivating as any other version I've heard from Brazil and our favorite A&M artists...

4-"Just The Way You Are" At first I thought I was going to have the same reaction to this bossa nova version of Billy Joel's hit that I had to the Hall/Oates number. However, this one works and works quite well...

5-"You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To" Being neither knowledgeable of Cole Porter nor a fan of his work I can't pass judgement here other than to say this is a coll bossa number!

6-"Hearts" is another with which I'm unfamiliar. COmposed by J Barish, I'm sure someone here will tell em I'm an idiot for not recognizing a classic tune form someone somewhere in recent music history. It's a good tune though and I find myself humming it from time to time now -- bossa nova style, of course!

7-"So Nice" Another classic. I have the mp3 of Wanda (de)Sah with me as well and they are VERY comparable.

8-"Steppin' Out" The biggest hit Joe Jackson ever had makes a terrific Bossa arrangement and even seems more natural that way, though Joe's version will always be definitive to me.

9-"You May Dream" is written by a trio of Japanese composers, though none in Sonia -- one is Yellow Magic Orchestra member Harry Hosono, who I believe is one of the founders of Alfa Records, who had a one time deal with A&M. Heck, it may be a cover of a YMO tune for all I know. Will have to check my YMO discography to see!

10-"Happy Ever After" is a Julia Fordham tune with which I am unfamiliar. I like the version here, though!

I've since learned this is Sonia's fifth CD with a sixth on the way. This one came out in 2000, so when I get back to Japan, I have some searching top do if I want to find the rest of thier catalog...

--Mr Bill

SUSHI! Yeah, I like Sushi, too! Wish I could be out there trying the kinds we can't get here...or maybe I'm not going to the right places for it. I am a "raw fish, vegetable & rice" connoussieur, myself! :D

Dave

...and "Wasabi makes me CRY"... :cry: :wink:

Snappy the Crotch Monster said:
Now you've got our search engines roaring -- nada on Amazon.
Please tell us how we can buy legit CDs of Sonia!

I'm seeing that. They're not even on allmusic.com, but their CDs are here. Truly strange. I'll see what I can find here and report back. I'm not opposed to buying reasonable quantities of certain things over here, but I can't become the "corner's ons-stop shop" (which I think is why Jean-Claude Marchio and Yoko Mike never respond to PMs -- they know we'd pester them to find stuff for us).

Gross-Man Steve said:
I'm a big sushi guy- what is a "California Roll" called in Japan?- (seriously)

I wondered the same thing. Reminds me of the scene in Pulp Fiction where they talk about the Quarter Pounder in Frnace where they're metric... They're metric here in Japan and it's still the "Quarter Pounder."

But the truth is that California rolls are uniquely Californian (or American anyway). Can't find them here except at the very Americanized hotels where they are (of course) called California rolls. Sushi comes two ways... One is with the fish (or other "protien") on top of a block of rice with a dab o' wasabe between. The other way is more or less the same but with a seaweed wrap around it (similar to your beloived California roll)...

Crayola Boy Dave said:
SUSHI! Yeah, I like Sushi, too! Wish I could be out there trying the kinds we can't get here...or maybe I'm not going to the right places for it. I am a "raw fish, vegetable & rice" connoussieur, myself! ...and "Wasabi makes me CRY"...

Wah! We have wasabi contests. We do it to see who can endure the biggest dollop of wasabi on their sushi. For those who don't know, wasabi is a hot green horsradish the Japanese use primarily on sushi. It's pale green in color, and has a "hot range" somewhere substantially above american horsradish and on par with chinese hot mustard (minus the mustard-y taste). It will clear your sinuses in no time! I like it a lot and win fairly consistantly.

One time, years ago, I put a whole teaspoon of wasabe on my sushi, gently laying the shrimp back on top. At that point even the sushi chefs stopped and watched, looks of trepidation on their faces. I popped it in my mouth and chewed. Next thing I knew, my buddies were standing over me fanning me with menus. Wiping the sweat from my head I sat back up to hear the sushi chef say -- in the only English Inever heard him use -- "You! Too much wasabi" with a shake of his head.

--Mr Bill

Well, I guess I made it obvious, I put the WHOLE WAD of it in my mouth...not knowing what (or how spicy) it was, of course! :cry: :hurl: :laugh: :laugh:

Dave

...sorry to have interrupted the "Sonia Thread" just to discuss "green bXXXger stuff", that I KNEW was just a "garnish of some sort", but didn't know it'd be soooo Damn
HOT!!! :evil: :twisted: :D :wink:

Mr Bill said:
10-"Happy Ever After" is a Julia Fordham tune with which I am unfamiliar. I like the version here, though!

I have Julia Fordham's self-titled CD with this song on it - which is why I bought the CD in the first place. Her version has a very hypnotic feel to it. A nice little video as I recall as well.

Capt. Bacardi

Well, a little digging has turned up two other CDs... Time For Siesta and French Bossa which are OOP. That still leaves two more CDs to find. The two I mention can be found on Amazon, but only after wading through 80 "Sonia"s that are not this Sonia, and you can can set yourself up for a search for used copies in the event they pop up. Next is a search of GEMM...

--Mr Bill

"Hearts" was a solo single from Marty Balin, founding member of Jefferson Airplane-Starship. It came out in 1981 and is featured on the EMI-label album BALIN. Another single from that album was "Atlanta Lady (Something About Your Love).
I've got a copy; haven't given it a spin in a long time.
JB

Well I managed to pick up two more Sonia CDs a week or so ago. The new additions are Play It On The Bossa Nova and A Mellow Gentle Weekend. I also picked up a sampler of other Japanese Bossa acts, # 2 in a series of 3 (so far) called Flavor which happens to include some Sonia tracks.

The two new additions don't strike me the way that first one did weks ago. One thing that amused me was when I popped it into my computer and the automatic track listing thing popped up it showed "Fly Me To The Moon" as "Fry Me To The Moon." I sh!t you not! Hehehehee. There are signs out in town that say "No Ritter" -- I guess they don't like the late star of Three's Company and 8 Simple Rules...

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
Reminds me of the scene in Pulp Fiction where they talk about the Quarter Pounder in Frnace where they're metric... They're metric here in Japan and it's still the "Quarter Pounder."

In France and Germany I believe they're called "Cheeseburger Royales".

Harry
...who thinks he may have had one of those years ago, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom