• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Spotlight: FANDANGO (SP-3731)

What Is Your Favorite Song On This Album?

• Fandango

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Margarita

• Push And Pull

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • California Blues

• Quierme Tal Como Soy

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Route 101

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Coco Loco

• Aria

• Angel

• Sugarloaf

• Latin Medley

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Herb Alpert
FANDANGO

A&M SP-3731

sp3731.jpg

Released 1982

Format: Vinyl/Cassette/CD

Produced by José Quintana and Herb Alpert

Albums Chart: #100 Pop Album, #20 Jazz Album, #52 Black Album
Singles Chart: "Route 101" - #37 Pop Singles, #4 Adult Contemporary; "Fandango" - #26 Adult Contemporary

Songs and Musicians:
  • 1. Fandango (Juan Carlos Calderon) - 3:41[list:8c939c2e1c]Arranged by Juan Carlos Calderon
    Bass - Abraham Laboriel
    Guitar - Abraham Laboriel
    Drums - Carlos Vega
    Keyboards - Michel Colombier
    Synthesizers - Michel Colombier, Bill Cuomo
    Percussion - Paulinho DaCosta

2. Margarita (Juan Carlos Calderon) - 3:41
  • Arranged by Bill Cuomo
    Bass - Victor Ruiz Pazos
    Guitar - Miguel Peña
    Drums - Carlos Vega
    Keyboards - Bill Cuomo
    Synthesizers - Bill Cuomo
    Background Vocals - José Quintana

3. Push And Pull (Juan Carlos Calderon) - 4:40
  • Arranged by Michel Colombier
    Bass - "Ready" Freddie Washington
    Guitars - Tim May, Abraham Laboriel, Carlos Rios
    Drums - Carlos Vega
    Marimba - Julius Wechter
    Harp - Gayle Levant

4. California Blues (Juan Carlos Calderon) - 3:49
  • Arranged by Eduardo Magallanes
    Bass - Victor Ruiz Pazos
    Guitar - Miguel Peña
    Drums - Carlos Vega
    Keyboards - Bill Cuomo
    Vocoder - Herb Alpert

5. Quiereme Tal Como Soy (Love Me The Way I Am) (Rafael Perez-Botija) - 3:49
  • Arranged by Rafael Perez-Botija and Michel Colombier
    Lead Vocals - Herb Alpert
    Guitars - Tim May, Abraham Laboriel
    Drums - Carlos Vega
    Synthesizers - Michel Colombier
    Harp - Gayle Levant

6. Route 101 (Juan Carlos Calderon) - 3:21
  • Arranged by Juan Carlos Calderon
    Drums - Carlos Vega
    Synthesizers - Greg Mathieson
    Background Vocals - Herb Alpert, Mary Hylan, Darlene Kolden-Hoven, Marie Cain

7. Coco Loco (La Guajira) (Diego Verdaguer) - 2:54
  • Arranged by Bill Cuomo
    Bass - Vicotr Ruiz Pazos
    Guitar - Miguel Peña
    Drums - Carlos Vega
    Keyboards - Bill Cuomo

8. Aria (Eduardo Magallanes) - 3:44
  • Arranged by Eduardo Magallanes
    Bass - Victor Ruiz Pazos
    Guitar - Miguel Peña
    Guitarron - Bernadino Santiago Gonzalez
    Drums - Carlos Vega
    Keyboards - Eduardo Magallanes, Michel Colombier
    Horn Section - Carlos Macias, Guillermo Espinosa
    Harp - Gayle Levant

9. Angel (Juan Carlos Calderon) - 2:51
    Bass - Abraham Laboriel
    Guitars - Carlos Rios
    Drums - Carlos Vega
    Keyboards - Bill Cuomo

10. Sugarloaf (Erasmas Carlos/Roberto Carlos) - 5:07
  • Arranged by Herb Alpert and José Quintana
    Bass - Abraham Laboriel
    Guitar - Abraham Laboriel
    Drums - Ralph Humphrey
    Keyboards - Michel Colombier, Greg Mathieson
    Synthesizers - Michel Colombier, Greg Mathieson
    Percussion - Laudir DeOlivera

11. Latin Medley (Frenesi, Bahia, Moliendo Cafe, Porompompero) (Dominguez/Barroso/Manzo/Ochiata/Valerio/Solano) - 5:43
    Bass - Abraham Laboriel
    Drums - Carlos Vega
    Keyboards - Michel Colombier, Juan Carlos Calderon
    Background Vocals - Mary Hylan, Darlene Kolden-Hoven, Marie Cain
    Marimba - Julius Wechter

All trumpets played by Herb Alpert
All strings by Gary Gertzweig's string section[/list:u:8c939c2e1c]

Recorded at CBS Recording Studios, Mexico City, A&M Recording Studios, Hollywood, CA
Mixed in Studio "A" at A&M Recording Studios, Hollywood, CA
Additonal Recording at Studio Sound Recorders, North Hollywood, CA
Engineered by Howard Lee Wolen
Remixed by Bryan Stott
Mastered by Bernie Grundman at A&M Recording Studios, Hollywood, CA
Assistant Engineer: Benny Faccone
Additional Engineers: Don Hahn, John Beverly Jones, Steve Katz and Bryan Stott
Production Assistant: Lisa Marie

Art Direction: Ayeroff & Beeson
Cover Design" Elizabeth Paul
Photography: Richard Avedon

Twenty years have passed since I saw my first bullfight. The memories of that magical afternoon in Tijuana, Mexico, have left me with an everlasting need to say Thank You to the late, great matador (Rejoneador) Carlos Arruza and all my Latin friends, who, in one way or another, have influenced my music.

This album is for you.
Herb Alpert

Thanks to Abraham Laboriel for introducing me to a wonderful new friend and fabulous producer, José Quintana.

Capt. Bacardi

Simply put, this album was Herb Alpert's masterpiece.

"Unabashedly Latin in character" read the description from the Herb Alpert Discography. And it was. The culmination of years spent with the Tijuana Brass, now surpassed with the fresh experience of recording in Mexico City, along with the co-production of Jose Quintana and the songs of Juan Carlos Calderon among others, make this the quintessential Herb Alpert album.

Whether you're a fan of the TJB albums of the '60s - '70s, or that of the solo era, this is a must-have for any true fan. Get it on vinyl. Get it on digital. Get it even on an old cassette if you have to. You won't be disappointed. Five stars.

Tony

FANDANGO was also released as an AyM Discos album with the same name. AyM SP-30001 was sonically identical to its standard counterpart but had a few changed titles:

"Margarita" had a parenthetical subtitle, (Camaguey),
"Push and Pull" became "Jala Y Empuja",
"Quiereme Tal Como Soy" dropped its English translation,
and "Route 101" became "Ruta 101".

The liner notes were written in Spanish, and the front cover was given a green border to distinguish it from its counterpart.

sp30001.jpg

FANDANGO is probably my favorite album in all of Herb's solo work, and I'm happy I found the old A&M CD when I did. Hopefully, it'll make it through the Shout! Factory process soon.

Harry

Well, I frequently heard "Ruta 101" enough that I finally figured the "connection" to "the guy who did "Rise"" and somehow my suddenly hearing "This Guy's In Love With You" gave me the impression that these songs were not only from "the same eras" but "the same ALBUM"...!

Fortunately long before this Web Site and the Internet came along, there were a few sources to "straighten everything out"...

A more authentic approach to the earlier "Amer-iachi Sound" has been bravely attempted and proudly achieved! The musicians recorded in Mexico City sure give this album the "South of the Border flavor" it deserves while still continues to establishing the new-found Top-10 Chart Success Herb had been currently enjoying...

"Route 101", then, gets my vote for First-Place... It got endless plays on Jazz and Easy Listening Radio, and just about everywhere else...! And my Second-Place pick is the inspirational and spiraling Title Track... The "trumpet and acoustic guitar duet" is a classic must-hear...!

Dave

I look at Fandango as an event to be enjoyed in its entirety. I don’t play it unless I have the time to listen to the complete album. I don’t have a particular favorite song; I think it’s brilliantly arranged for one song to lead into another. I have it on both CD and vinyl and I think that the vinyl sounds significantly better. For the price of the Fandango CD on eBay, a guy could buy the album and a record player to play it on.

Mike

I think Route 101 is the standout track on a standout album. It's very reminiscent of the "happy music" feel-good vibe of the TJB, and it's one of my favorite tracks (and albums) to play while driving.

Another vote for Route 101, the best song on an excellent album. Herb was firing on all cylinders with this one. I like "Coco Loco" almost as much as 101 -- it sounds like the TJB would have sounded if they'd still been together at the time.

I had to go with SUGARLOAF, because this tune seems to be the one that everybody had the most fun putting together. It really cooks! There's something TJBish about the sound, too...

This song is an excellent lead-in to the LATIN MEDLEY that follows it. Speaking of same; when this album was on the charts, a local FM station noted for its contemporary instrumental playlist played an older version of BAHIA, straight out of the '40's that I never would have recognized if I hadn't heard the album. The program director was obviously on his toes. The Disney short THE THREE CABALLEROS from 1945 also features BAHIA, as a vocal.

This album reminds me of SOUTH OF THE BORDER in it's overall tone, and ROUTE 101 always reminded me of a cross between THE MEXICAN SHUFFLE and SOUTH OF THE BORDER.

I agree that it's Herb's best solo album, and can't wait for the CD from SHOUT! FACTORY...but let's not forget the contribution made by Juan Carlos Calderon.

Dan

Nathan Strum said:
I think Route 101 is the standout track on a standout album. It's very reminiscent of the "happy music" feel-good vibe of the TJB, and it's one of my favorite tracks (and albums) to play while driving.

Ah, yes... driving, with "Route 101" cranked up loud. Sunshine and a breeze, and that echo of the horn coming out of all four speakers... I especially liked the bridge on this song, featuring the electric guitar which somehow morphs into the string section... A brilliant engineering touch!

And just think about this: in 1982, we didn't really hear much in the way of instrumental music on pop radio, with maybe the exception of the "Chariots Of Fire" theme or the "Magnum, P.I." theme. "Route 101" was never promoted on screen, and it was out-of-character' with the synth-pop world starting up. And yet, it still managed to crack the Top 40! Impressive, to say the least.

Tony

toeknee4bz said:
Simply put, this album was Herb Alpert's masterpiece.

In regard to the solo (without the Tijuana Brass) catalog, I completely agree.

Although the entire album is very strong, Route 101 is the favorite.

IMO, this is the definitive Herb Alpert solo album. Great songs and great trumpet playing.

If this was the only Herb Alpert solo album that ever existed, it would be enough for me. After Fandango, I just don't really get interested in any others.

IMHO, of course...

I'm probably in the minority here by saying that I don't think this is Herb's best solo work at all. It's good, mind you, and I would put it in his Top 5 solo albums.

Rhythmically, it's a tight album. Abe Laboriel's acoustic guitar rhythms are spot on with what's happening with the rest of the rhythm section. Herb's trumpet certainly shines on the melodies, but some of his solos are a little weak to me, especially on the "Latin Medley" (which otherwise is a hip little piece) and the title tune. On the other hand "Route 101" is pretty solid playing. My favorite song is "Margarita", which just sounds like it was made for Herb. "Push And Pull" is pretty good, and once again that "My Heart Belongs To Daddy" motif pops up, just like it did on "Magic Man" (as someone else noticed over there). As usual, I didn't care for Herb's vocal on "Quiereme...", and I've never been crazy about "California Blues" (uh, like where's the blues, man?).

I also enjoyed "Sugarloaf". I loved the groove and it's a fun tune to play my horn to. "Angel" sounds the most TJB-ish to me. It's got that perkiness and classic horn lines. This is one of those CDs that I play while relaxing in my backyard on a 75-degree day. It just fits the mood.

Capt. Bacardi

DAN BOLTON said:
This song is an excellent lead-in to the LATIN MEDLEY that follows it. Speaking of same; when this album was on the charts, a local FM station noted for its contemporary instrumental playlist played an older version of BAHIA, straight out of the '40's that I never would have recognized if I hadn't heard the album.

I haven't heard of "Bahia" played by someone else, but Artie Shaw had a hit with "Frenesi" in 1940.

Capt. Bacardi

I'm also in the minority here. I really don't like this album at all! Herb's best work? No way! As far as his best solo album? I have others that I like way better.

Although I did like Route 101, the rest of the album just doesn't do it for me.

My favorite Herb solo album is Just You And Me, but I also love Rise. Pretty much anything Herb ever did in the 80's, I like one or two tracks, and the rest of it just puts me to sleep.

audiofile said:
Pretty much anything Herb ever did in the 80's, I like one or two tracks, and the rest of it just puts me to sleep.

Same.

On many of the solo albums, I can find one or two tracks I like, and then it's off to la-la land for the rest of it. On the old TJB albums, I usually liked every track on the album. Well, maybe not Talk To The Animals...although some might find it "charming" in some kind of way.

Fandango reminds me of the old glory days of Herb Alpert and the TJB. That's probably the biggest reason why I like it more than any of the others. I also like the sound, tone, styling, etc. of the trumpet better than any of the rest of the solo albums. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am usually more attracted to the sound than to the notes themselves.

I've never really been a big jazz fan - I'm rooted basically in pop music. And, the techno/urban/hip-hop styling of certain things in which Herb once upon a time dabbled leaves me totally cold.

For those who didn't know, there is a specially mixed version of the song "Fandango" that has an additional percussion break in the middle. It was a 12" promo SP-17210. It's worth looking for.

Capt. Bacardi

Captaindave said:
audiofile said:
Pretty much anything Herb ever did in the 80's, I like one or two tracks, and the rest of it just puts me to sleep.

Same.

On many of the solo albums, I can find one or two tracks I like, and then it's off to la-la land for the rest of it.
Fandango reminds me of the old glory days of Herb Alpert and the TJB. That's probably the biggest reason why I like it more than any of the others. ... the techno/urban/hip-hop styling of certain things in which Herb once upon a time dabbled leaves me totally cold.

ARRGGHHH! You guys must be uncles on my mom's side that were unbeknownst to me! :laugh: Mom has always had the same opinion on Herb's solo stuff, and pretty much tolerates my latter-day Herb collection. Once in a while she'll say "that one's not too bad". Oh, well... just a generation gap, I guess. :wink:

The kid,
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom