• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

STEPPIN' OUT - Comments & Reviews

Which Are Your Favorite Songs?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Herb Alpert featuring Lani Hall
STEPPIN' OUT
Shout! Factory
51Kwd0VW5pL._SX300_.jpg

Produced by Herb Alpert and Lani Hall
* - Produced by Randy Badazz Alpert and Herb Alpert
** - Produced by Jeff Lorber and Herb Alpert, Co-Produced by Lani Hall

Songs:
1. Puttin' On The Ritz (Irving Berlin) - 3:01*
2. Jacky's Place (Herb Alpert/Jeff Lorber/Bill Cantos) - 4:15**
3. Our Song (Art Pepper) - 5:03
4. Green Lemonade (Herb Alpert/Jeff Lorber/Bill Cantos) - 4:05**
5. I Only Have Eyes For You (Harry Warren/Al Dubin) - 3:29
6. Good Morning Mr. Sunshine (Ruben Fuentes Gasson) - 4:02
7. Oblivion (Astor Piazzolla) - 4:27
8. What'll I Do? (Irving Berlin) - 3:31
9. Côte D'Azur (Herb Alpert/Jeff Lorber/Bill Cantos) - 4:04**
10. La Vie En Rose (Luis Guglielmi/Edith Piaf) - 2:41
11. It's All In The Game (Carl Sigman/Charles Dawes) - 3:18
12. Europa (Thomas J. Coster/Carlos Santana) - 4:44
13. And The Angels Sing (Ziggy Elman/Johnny Mercer) - 3:07
14. Skylark (Hoagy Carmichael/Johnny Mercer) - 4:35
15. Migration (Herb Alpert/Jeff Lorber/Bill Cantos) - 3:52**
16. The Lonely Bull (Sol Lake) - 4:39
Musicians:
Herb Alpert - Trumpet and Vocals
Lani Hall - Vocals
Bill Cantos - Keyboards, Arrangements (6, 7, 11, 13, 14), Orchestra (7, 14 [w/Mari Falcone])
Hussain Jiffrey - Bass
Michael Shapiro - Drums and Percussion
Jeff Lorber - Keyboards and Guitar (2, 4, 9, 15)
Eduardo del Barrio - Keyboards, Arrangement & Orchestra (3, 5, 8, 12, 16)
Coco Triuisonno - Bandoneon
Ramon Stagnaro - Acoustic Guitar
Paul Jackson, Jr. - Guitar (2, 4, 9, 15)

Orchestra conducted by Nick Glennie-Smith

Engineers: Hussain Jiffry and Alan Myerson
Mixed by Mick Guzauski, except "Lonely Bull", mixed by Alan Myerson
Mastering Engineer: Bernie Grundman
Iggy Elizabesky - Studio and Engineer
Cover Art: "Tango Americano" by Herb Alpert
Design: Meryll Pollen/Roland Young

This music is dedicated to the memory of our dear friend Gil Friesen

This album available November 19th at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Steppin-Out-Herb-Alpert/dp/B00FCAKAOO/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1382508993&sr=1-1&keywords=herb alpert steppin out

Currently available as download at https://www.herbalpertpresents.com/ and at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Steppin-Out-Herb-Alpert/dp/B00FA6C0L6/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1382508993&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=herb alpert steppin out

Capt. Bacardi

I've been enjoying this album quite a bit. I downloaded the MP3 version from Herb's site and have been playing it in my car constantly while going back and forth to work. So here's my take on the tunes.

1. Puttin' On The Ritz - Love the rhythm track on this. The song itself is a perfect fit for Herb's horn. There's some cool things that Michael Shapiro does on drums if you listen closely, such as these little triplet figures on a couple of breaks. Herb plays some nice solos as well.

2. Jacky's Place - Had I not read that Jeff Lorber was on this album I would've guessed him anyway. He has a distinctive way of playing a Fender Rhodes piano. Love the little scat vocals by Lani and Herb on the melody. Beautiful interplay between Herb and Lorber, conjuring up images of Second Wind. Strong track.

3. Our Song - My favorite ballad of the album. I always loved Art Pepper's original to begin with and this seems like a natural fit for Herb. The strings are just right on this recording as well. Simply gorgeous.

4. Green Lemonade - The first thing that struck me about this song was the opening vamp, which is similar to Pat Metheny's "Are You Going With Me?" Some very strong playing by Herb here. A clear favorite of mine.

5. I Only Have Eyes For You - Starts out rubato, then subtly breaks into a bit of a Brazilian mode, a la Brasil Nativo from a few years back. Lani chimes in with some sparse vocals.

6. Good Morning Mr. Sunshine - I've never been a huge fan of the Brass Are Comin' album, but this song was one of my favorites. So I was a bit skeptical seeing this song on this album, but I must say I like this version better. The interplay between Herb and Bill Cantos is wonderful. I really dig the way the rhythm section flows on this track. Herb really soars on this song as well. I think this would make a great song for some jazz stations. One of my favorites on this album.

7. Oblivion - Herb's second Astor Piazzolla song ("Libertango" from Colors was the first) is a dramatic reading. Bill Cantos did the orchestration for this. This would've fit on the Spanish Moon album had Herb decided on putting it on there.

8. What'll I Do? - The Irving Berlin standard gets an updated version with Lani making a brief appearance. Nice solo by Herb as well. Sounds as if Hussain Jiffry is playing an upright bass. Nice romantic ballad.

9. Côte D'Azur - Another one of my favorite tracks. This has a bit of a TJB horn line for the melody with Herb playing some beautiful jazz lines throughout the tune. He even pulls out the Harmon mute for a bit.

10. La Vie En Rose - I don't know much about Edith Piaf but I knew this song as soon as I heard it. This sounds as if it could've been played at some bawdy club in New Orleans. It probably would fit in with Madeline Khan singing in "Blazing Saddles". :uhhuh:

11. It's All In The Game - You know, when I first heard this song I thought it had a bit of a Bacharach feel to it. Lani gets featured on this track. Herb sings with Lani and provides a few licks on the horn as well.

12. Europa - When I saw this song was on the album my first expectation was that it would be something similar to what Gato Barbieri did (which Herb produced back in 1976). But it's nothing like that at all. This almost has a bit of a Parisian feel to it. The strings are a bit "outside", conjuring up images of the Midnight Sun album.

13. And The Angels Sing - This was one of my favorite songs on the Going Places album, so again I was a bit apprehensive about hearing this. Brother, did I change my mind on that! It starts with a bit of a Freddie Green guitar-ish vamp to start (I'm not sure this is a guitar - it could be Hussain Jiffry on bass). This is the one song that really swings!!! Herb does some his finest playing on this track. I play this one quite a bit. Probably my favorite track on the album.

14. Skylark - An old standard that's given a lush treatment. Again, Bill Cantos does the orchestration with some help from his beloved wife Mari Falcone. Herb does a pretty straight reading on this classic tune.

15. Migration - A fun, uptempo jam. Herb does some off-mic scatting, reminding me of what he did on "Promises, Promises" back in '74. Lani provides some brief vocals. Some solid horn work by Herb as well. Another fave of mine.

16. The Lonely Bull - This is from the video that we saw on Herb's website from a few months back. Again, this reminds me of what he was doing on the Spanish Moon album. Eddie del Barrio does the string thing here. This is more of a somber version of the song and gets a bit outside, which I really love. Is this his swan song? Well, I don't know about that. I certainly hope not. Sounds as if he still has plenty to say, judging by what he put out.

As for the favorite tracks, I voted for "Puttin' On The Ritz", "Jacky's Place", "Our Song", "Green Lemonade", "Good Morning Mr. Sunshine", "Côte D'Azur", "And The Angels Sing" and "Migration".

I've got my CD pre-ordered so I'm eagerly awaiting that. But in the meantime I've been enjoying the MP3 version. For a 78 year-old trumpet player Herb shows that he still has it!

Capt. Bacardi

I took the liberty of moving my review that I posted right after the concert to this thread.

I must say after having listened through this album a few times, that this must be one of Herb Alpert's best albums ever. That goes especially to his trumpet playing throughout the record. Powerful, fun, sometimes moving, and not one note seems to be coincidental. I am very impressed with that.
In many ways one could say that "Steppin' Out" is a kind of synthesis of what Herb's music has been all about. You have elements of "smooth jazz" as on Second Wind, jazz ballads with lush strings as on "Midnight Sun". Latin influenced tracks as on a number of his albums and one can recognise some of the catchy melodic playing from the TJB days.

The album starts out with "Puttin On The Ritz" (Iriving Berlin) that most of us are familiar with already. Randy Badazz Alpert's simple and catchy rythm track and Herb's unmistakable trumpet sound has already placed this song among Herb's biggest hits in my view. It remains to be seen of course, but it has all the qualities. The crowd at the Hollywood Bowl went crazy over it.

"Jacky's Place" (Herb Alpert/Jeff Lorber, lyrics: Bill Cantos) is a surprising return to the smooth jazz style of 2nd Wind. But I think Herb seems even more at home here than on most 2nd Wind Tracks. The four Alpert/Lorber tracks on the album contribute a lighthearted musical energy that balances well with the rest of the album in my view. Lani Hall's participation on the album is much smaller than on the two previous Alpert/Hall albums but she always delivers, and sings on a part of this track.

"Our Song" (Art Pepper). Beautiful ballad starting out with just Herb and piano, and with a great string arrangement by Eduardo del Barrio.

"Green Lemonade"(Herb Alpert/Jeff Lorber). An irresistibly cool groove by Jeff Lorber and more great trumpet playing.

"I Only Have Eyes For You" (Harry Warren/Al Dubin) An imaginative new arrangement by Eduardo del Barrio and vocal contrbution by Lani.

"Good Morning Mr Sunshine" (Ruben Fuentes Gasson). The Tijuana Brass repertoire revisited with one of the arguably strongest melodies from the last days of the original TJB. A great arrangement by Bill Cantos and a fun chase/double line solo/duet by Herb and Bill. We are even graced with the two part trumpet ending on the last chorus.

"Oblivion" (Astor Piazzolla) A powerful latin ballad in a dramatic arrangement by Bill Cantos.

"What'll I Do?"(Irving Berlin) More classic "American Songbook" with an expressive vocal solo by Lani. Lush and wonderful strings by Eduardo del Barrio.

"Cote d' Azur" (Herb Alpert/Jeff Lorber) More sunstenched beach party smooth jazz. Maybe not the most memorable song on the album, but still fun to listen to.

"La vie en rose"(Gauglierini/Piaf/Beusher) This song has been part of the quartet's concert repertoire for a while. In stead of cashing in on the sentimental qualities of the melody, Herb sounds like if Edith Piaf had played trumpet, with a bouncy expressive feel. Great playing by Bill Cantos on piano.

"It's All In The Game" (Sigman/Dawes) More Herb and Bill co-operation and Lani on vocals with Herb playing some nice fills.

"Europa" (Coster/Santana). Herb's interpretation of Santana's great song literally brought tears to my eyes. It is beautifully arranged by Eduardo del Barrio, featuring piano, strings and accordeon.

"And The Angels Sing"(Elman/Mercer). To all TJB fans a classic from "Going Places" of course, even if it was originally a big band standard made famous by the likes of Benny Goodman. A stripped down tight-swinging version here, starting out with just an accoustic guitar and Herb.

"Skylark" (Carmichael/Mercer) Another great standard, beautiful trumpet playing and a fine arrangement by Bill Cantos and Mari Falcone.

"Migration" (Herb Alpert/Jeff Lorber, lyrics by Bill Cantos) The last of the Alpert/Lorber songs. It fits in nicely with a very good vocal contribution by Lani.

"The Lonely Bull" (Sol Lake). The A & M anniversary version. A worthy ending to a great album. Eduardo del Barrios inventive arrangement and Herb's sweet trumpet playing that brings back memories from the "Under A Spanish Moon" album.

All inn all an album that you should not miss out on!

- greetings from the nice and warm north -
Martin

I have my copy of the new "record" in hand - well, it's in my Bose system playing right now - and I can agree with Mr. "Badazz" Alpert's previous comments that it does sound lush. I'm rather enjoying it. Congratulations to Mr. Alpert's team for a very fine recording. There's very little on this album that I don't like in one way or another...

(now I'll be completely happy when the remastered Alpert/Masekela recordings are released!)

Here's a nice little review from Rolling Stone:

a51c3239-cc36-42d8-b678-288a6124bf1f_Herb-Alpert-Steppin-Out.jpg
Herb Alpert
: Steppin’ Out (Shout! Factory) While the famous Tijuana Brassman has been on the receiving end of kudos since those days he established A&M Records so very long ago—and deservedly so—the trumpeter/businessman/artist clearly deserves 21st Century recognition for staying so doggedly contemporary. This latest set, also featuring his wife Lani Hall, is surprisingly sharp, encompassing both the contemporary and—with its 50th anniversary take on Alpert’s original “The Lonely Bull”—the respectable pop-jazz tradition he established way back in the ‘60s. It’s a fine showing, offering up nods to standards, tracks by Art Pepper and Astor Piazolla, and his early work, and evidence that despite all that’s happened since those days, Alpert the artist has never left us.

Capt. Bacardi

Hi All,

Just read that Herb has been nominated for Best Pop Album Grammy for "Steppin Out"!! Congrats to Herb & everyone who is connected to this great CD!!!

Shere Siegel

I listened to the CD with my headphones last night. There's some neat things with percussion going on in the background on some of the uptempo tunes. You can hear someone counting off on "Oblivion" right around the 1:10 mark.

Capt. Bacardi

Tipped off by Steve S. that something was brewing with Herb on the charts, I did a little digging and found that "Puttin' On The Ritz" is being added at standard Adult Contemporary radio stations. Here's the "Most added at A/C stations" chart from All-Access, an industry tracker/website:

PuttinRitzAddedChart.jpg

That means that Herb Alpert's record was added at 6 of the tracked radio stations. When I clicked on "Stations", I get the list of those 6 stations:

PuttinRitzAddedStations.jpg

KWAV-FM is in Monterey, CA
WAHR-FM is in Huntsville, AL
WJKK-FM is in Vicksburg, MS
WJXB-FM is in Knoxville, TN
WTFM-FM is in Kingsport, TN
WWZY-FM is in Long Branch/Tuckerton, NJ

Do you all realize how incredible it is for a 70-something trumpet player to have his record played on mainstream Adult Contemporary radio?

Congratulations Herb, and good luck at Grammy time!

Harry

The CD has been out for a couple of months, with the digital download version out for four months. And yet there's only three comments on this fine album? That's pretty sad.... :shake:

Capt. Bacardi
...wondering where Herb's fans are at online...

Here's a brief review of Steppin' Out from the JazzTimes site:

http://jazztimes.com/articles/117563-steppin-out-herb-alpert

Herb Alpert
Steppin' Out
Shout Factory

By Christopher Loudon

Herb Alpert was there, playing a pivotal role, when fusion begat smooth-jazz. And, it seems, he’s never left. From the opening “Puttin’ on the Ritz” to the reworking of “The Lonely Bull,” Alpert’s career-igniting 1962 hit with the Tijuana Brass, Steppin’ Out feels stuck in an early ’80s groove. Fittingly, Jeff Lorber has been invited along.

Still, as retrofitted smooth projects go, this is generally grade-A stuff. Closing in on his 80th birthday, trumpeter Alpert remains a master of polish, still blowing sweet, strong and clear. Four of the 16 tracks are new, co-written by Alpert and Lorber, all pert and peppy. The covers are more wide-ranging, extending from a moody meander through Art Pepper’s “Our Song,” featuring lovely interplay between Alpert and pianist Bill Cantos, and a lazy “La Vie en Rose” that seems plucked from a Woody Allen soundtrack, to a loose, easy “And the Angels Sing.” Mexican violinist Rubén Fuentes Gassón’s “Good Morning Mister Sunshine” (eerily similar to “It Might as Well Be Spring”) is nicely percolated, though it pales in comparison to the TJB version included on 1969’s The Brass Are Comin’.

Sadly, Alpert’s biggest asset, his vocalist wife Lani Hall (of Brasil ’66 fame), is vastly underutilized. She drops in for two lines on an ethereal “I Only Have Eyes for You,” makes an equally brief (and fragile) appearance on “What’ll I Do” and, in her sole opportunity to stretch out, is hemmed within a limpid “It’s All in the Game.”

Capt. Bacardi

Captain, you hit the nail right on the head! When I heard "Green Lemonade", being the world's biggest Pat Metheny Fan(along with being the world's biggest Herb Alpert Fan), I too said this is copped from "Are You Going With Me"(and oh, what a history making thing that would be if Pat and Herb teamed up together!!) However, this maybe due more to Herb's co-writer on this tune than Herb himself, who happens to be Jeff Lorber.Jeff, I believe is a Metheny fan himself, and may have done it as a tribute to Pat. I had a feeling about Jeff's admiration when Pat in his ranting against you-know-who in 2000(can it REALLY be 14 years ago that Pat wrote that piece?! Sheesh- how time flies!) said that Lorber's group had opened for The Metheny band when they did a concert in NY.

As 4 the rest of the CD, well, it is ...GREAT. One of the reviewers was right-it is somewhat of a throwback to 80s contemporary jazz(that's the terminolgy to use describing at least THIS kind of jazz, whose artists were the more meatier jazz musicians such as the aforementioned Metheny, David Sanborn, Grover Washington Jr. Joe Sample, Tania Maria,Lonnie Liston Smith, Gerge Duke, Stanley Clarke, Dave Grusin, instead of the 90s created schlockfest called "smooth jazz"- oh,brother!) I love Herb's new version of "The Lonely Bull", it sounds so powerful, majestic and resounding. I'l give more of my opinions on the CD later, but all in all, it's a great CD. But I didn't expect anything but the best from Herb.

The songs "Jacky's Place", "Green Lemonade" & "And The Angels Sing" are my favorites on this CD!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

This CD is really a classic. Such rich sounds and professional musicianship have been captured here. "And the Angels Sing" is my favorite. "La Vie en Rose" was done with style; I keep whistling the tune all through the day. I was hesitant to buy this CD at first, but what a treasure it is. My compliments to Herb, Lani, and all the team.

"Cote d' Azur" (Herb Alpert/Jeff Lorber) More sunstenched beach party smooth jazz. Maybe not the most memorable song on the album, but still fun to listen to.

Sunstenched?? That don't sound right (doesn't smell too great either...) Sunsplashed maybe? Or??

Yeah, you're right. I am a Norwegian you know. So English is my second language, and it doesn't always come out right.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom