• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Streisand singing "So Many Stars"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TulitaPepsi

I'm a huge Barbra fan, but there is no way she is gonna top Lani's version.

It's on  What Matters Most: Barbra Streisand Sings the Songs of Alan & Marilyn Bergman, to be released in August.

The Amazon page describes it as "originally a hit song for Sergio Mendes and Brazil '66" ("z"!!!)

"So Many Stars" is on line on the NY Times website, but I can't paste the link. Her voice is very ragged, but it is a fairly decent version (too much goopy strings) Even with Portugese lyrics translated by Dori Caymmi, it can't touch the original. I wonder if Babs approached Sergio to work with her on the track?

"Above, you can hear Ms. Streisand’s performance of “So Many Stars,” a song written by the Bergmans and originally made popular by Sérgio Mendes & Brasil ‘66. In this video, the Bergmans and Ms. Streisand discuss the creation of this recording and Ms. Streisand’s decision to sing a portion of it in Portuguese. "

Personally, I think she sounds great. I have to wonder if Lani is saying something like, "Hey, that's my song!!" :)

It does sound nice, but I like Lani's voice more than Streisand's any day. Streisand has this shrill quality where Lani's voice (especially on the Brasil '66 records) has more of a warmth to it. Just my 2¢.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom