• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Swing Out Sister "Where Our Love Grows"

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
The duo Swing Out Sister are back with a CD called "Where Our Love Grows". The song called "When The Laughter Is Over" contains a sample of "I Can See Only You" performed by Roger Nichols & The Small Circle Of Friends. The song called "Certain Shades Of Limelight" contains a sample of "Don't Say I Didn't Tell You So" (Bacharach/David) performed by the late Herbie Mann. That song also reminds me of "Ironside" by Quincy Jones at the beginning of the song. The song "Caipirinha" reminds me of Sergio Mendes & Brazil '66 (or Brazil '77) which is a instrumental. The song "We'll Find A Place" is kinda like a spacey swirl song instrumental. In the liner notes, writer Mary Edwards says: It's the gorgeous, steady rhythms and the hook of sensual phrasings that lure you back to the halcyon days of large productions... It's that city corner where the swelling of a rhythm section that fills the air beckons you, and everyone and everything grooves in tandem... It's the soundtrack for a movie that's been written and directed by and for your mind's eye... It's Corinne Drewery's voice, intense and loving, exacting and sensual, parting her lips to impart words of wonder... It's Andy Connell's exquisite and heady arrangements that have you reminiscent of those legendary 60s sessions... Add to the fold, the sumptuous skills of producer Paul Staveley O'Duffy... and find yourself in a world where Dionne Warwick and Dusty Springfield might have crossed paths with Ennio Morricone, where Sergio Mendes was the Brazilian Midas to every pop song he touched, where the Carpenters put the finishing twinkle to a Bacharach arrangement, or where Jimmy Webb and John Barry might have adoringly compared incidentals. Swing Out Sister's eighth studio offering, Where Our Love Grows (their 6th in the United States, the CD 1997 "Shapes And Patterns" was the last U.S. release, not including the live import CD or 20th Century Masters collection) will have you instantly commit their hooky choruses to memory, sigh to their contemplative and cinematic symphonies, and drift - or bop - through a poetic landscape of Northern Soul, "Motown Lounge", Philly backbeats, and Bahia "ahhhs" - a delicious concoction of orchestral movements, succinct ensemble accents and rousing multilayered choruses of whipped "ba dah's" and other delights. Whether your day is turned upside-down, or spun round, Swing Out Sister will hold you close and bring you back to the confort of that familar feeling. Mary Edwards - August 2004 For more information, go to: www.swingoutsister.com & the CD label: www.shanachierecords.com or: www.shanachie.com The total running time of the CD is 47:15 in length. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

The liner notes only confirm what I have always thought: Richard Carpenter needs to produce SOS.

Swing Out Sister is back!!! Yes! "Breakout" and "Twilight World" are definitely two of my favorite Top 40 hits of the '80s. Extremely underrated band. Thanks for the heads-up on the new release!!

Jeff F.

Of 80's girl duos I prefer Strawbery Switchblade over Swing Out Sister, but both are great.

--Mr Bill
how about Wendy & Lisa?

I finally picked up the new Swing Out Sister album up today. Best Buy had it for $13.99, and using three Best Buy bucks from McDonalds, the price was really $10.99.

Excellent effort, and a really nice album. The Roger Nichols sample of "I Can See Only You" in "When The Laughter Is Over" is one of those goosebump-inducing moments, where the new song melody soars over the old Nichols arrangement.

And true enough, "Caipirinha" is VERY remeniscent of the Sergio Mendes sound.

Highly recommended.

Harry
NP: Swing Out Sister, WHERE OUR LOVE GROWS

I always liked this group..when I first heard them years ago I immediately thought they had the A&M sound of the sixties.

It is the kind of cool ,jazzy, yet classy sound that I associate with West Coast, California type sounds that Herb Alpert would have had on A&M. I was even reminded a little of the Brasil 66 sound when I first heard them.

Nice...more of their kind of sound, style, and songs would be appreciated, at least by me...

I'm surprised nobody else here has picked up the new Matt Bianco disc yet. Well...it's not out in the U.S. yet, but you'd be surprised at the unintentional A&M-like sounds throughout. Trumpet lines with shades of TJB every so often, plenty of Bossa, some Brasil '66 touches...it's no wonder it's been in the car player for months. (Made a copy of my hybrid SACD to take in the car--no worries about trashing it.) Probably one of the best sounding discs I own, too.

For those of you who are raving about the latest SOS effort (and yes, it is excellent), you simply must check out their previous release, Somewhere Deep in the Night. It was never released in the U.S. but can still be found online affordably. I played that CD for two friends of mine who judged SOS based on their late 80's hit "Breakout," and they were absolutely blown away.

Agreed. I love Somewhere Deep in The Night. For a long time, like the current album, it was only available in Japan. But ultimately was released in the UK, which is where mine came from.

Excellent stuff!

Harry
NP: Swing Out Sister, WHERE OUR LOVE GROWS

I just bought this cd. It is everything a SOS album should be and I believe it is one of their best. My favorite so far is Certain Shades of Limelight. I wonder if that title is from Breakfast At Tiffany's, when Holly says," there are certain shades of limelight that can wreck a girls complexion". I am curious however why SOS failed to credit Quincy Jones with the Ironsides sample.

...Is it still "Where 'My Rosemary' Goes??!!"

Glad that some of the old "A&M Goodies" are getting some recognition and not just inadvertently...

Might just be "sampling", but a good hint or maybe even a start of where "some peoples' interest" is going...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom