• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

tamba4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzdre

many years ago,i went to visit a friend of mine,and i was perusing her father's record collection,and i must say,he had great taste! he had cannonball's brazilian album featuring sergio mendes,mendes and brasil 66,i think he also had tjb in there,but the album that stood out most for me was an album he had by the great brazilian group tamba4. i was awed by the power and artistry they possessed,and also the beauty of their sound.three years ago,i picked up what i believe was their first album called we and the sea.i again was bowled over,but that wasn't the album that i heard those many years ago.the one i heard had a version of herb and the brass' song called "slick". can anybody out there let me know the name of that album,please?(and let's hope A&M,verve/universal release that one as well.)

That was the second Tamba 4 album, Samba Blim. It was, and still may be, available as a Japanese import CD.

Tamba 4 is actually a mutated version of the original Tamba Trio. (I still have no clue as to why they had the name change only for the A&M recordings.) IMHO, the A&Ms watered down the true Tamba Trio/Luiz Eca sound for the jazz-buying masses. If you liked the adventurous tracks on We And The Sea, you'd like the earlier Tamba Trio recordings. Samba Blim is more like other A&M/CTi albums. Sort of a softer side to the group, if you will.

Tamba 4's Samba Blim is still available. I checked both HMV in Japan and amazon.com. It's even been remastered in 24 bit/96khz and issued in a mini-LP format.

Harry
...with the older Japanese Samba Blim, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom