• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

"Taste, Culture and Substance"

Status
Not open for further replies.

abstract_fan

Here is link which describes the WQXR FM station which is a superb 99% "classical" music station.

http://www.wqxr.org/#!/story/wqxr-d...tment&utm_campaign=carousel&utm_content=item2

An excerpt:

The New York Times reported on January 7, 1969 that the classical station would begin playing songs by the Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, the Tijuana Brass and other pop artists in an effort "to keep pace with the times and to make the station attractive to young people of taste, culture and substance," according to general manager Walter Neiman.

He especially wanted to shake the station's image as "the old lady of Threadneedle Street."

:laugh:

And so they're back to classical again. Other than south of 92 FM on the dial (which is educational/university content, or Canadian since they do not have that <92 limitation) where I've occasionally heard something, classical has been dead here in our area for many years. Long live WQRS! :sigh: No idea if any HD Radio stations play it, as I don't have a receiver for it. (Almost got one for my in-dash receiver, but seeing how lousy most local HD Radio programming was, I skipped it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom