The A&M Sound on Rev-Ola

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppymonster

Hello everyone....

love the site, loads of great info etc. done with ovbvious love for the music!
just thought I'd give you a heads up to our A&M Sound series...check out

www.revola.co.uk

Following on from our Roger Nicholls release, we have The Merry Go Round and Boyce and Hart next up.....with Evie Sands and Claudine Longet on the way!....And many more to come! let us know what you think, good or bad, and some input from you A&M enthusiasts on future releases in this series would be much appreciated.....let us know what you are anxious to see out there!...There will be some surprises from A&M artists coming up too...watch the website for details.....

All the best

Joe Foster

I did buy the revola releases of "The Carnival" and "Triste Janero"; good stuff, keep up the good work.

I got the Roger Nichols release and loved the touch of replicating the A&M label with the Revola logo.

RevolaRecords.jpg

The Baja Marimba Band will likely be the most sought-after stuff here - many fans, little product available.

I'm happy to hear about Boyce & Hart, Merry Go Round, Evie Sands and Claudine Longet, too, and need to check out the website.

Thanks for stopping by.

Harry

Thanks for signing up here, PoppyMonster!

We've been discussing Rev-Ola's A&M reissues since the Nichols release and we're all happy to see so many "re-issue" labels taking on the challenge of reissuing so many records that, though historically significant to varying degrees, were not huge sellers.

Bottom line we think you guys are doing a swel job so far with the A&M material you have reissued. WE hope it doesn't stop (like Verve by Request quit and now Hip-O Select seems to be slowing down).

As for what I'd like to see, count me in for Baja Marimba Band (but it must include the single-only b-side stuff as well), Merchants of Dream, and Mort Garson's two synthesizer LPs: Wozard of Iz and Electronic Hairpieces. In any case, original cover art is preferred, but what you've done with both the Nichols and Merry-Go-Round covers are good.

--Mr Bill

I konw the unreleased A&M album by The Parade was reissued on Japanese CD in the recent past. A more affordable version (with any appropriate bonus tracks) would be a neat idea if it could be worked out.

There are plenty of other A&M obscurities I could think of, but I doubt they would have much sales potential, like the Lucille Starr/Canadian Sweethearts albums, Pete Jolly's three A&M albums (the first two would fit nicely on one CD), and something as obscure and rare as the Dave Lewis "Little Green Thing" album.

Great job by Rev-Ola! :thumbsup: I'm going to "stick" this thread so it gets more attention. Let's see some more requests here! :)

I'd also like to add (as the webmaster of the I.R.S. Records site -- www.irscorner.com) to consider some of the 80s obscurities on that label -- Fashion, Skafish, Henry Badowski, Wazmo Nariz, Root Boy Slim, Suburban Lawns and Stewart Copeland alter-ego Klark Kent. And the not-so-obscure (yet out of print): John Cale, The Fall, Tom Robinson, Lords of the New Church, Alternative TV, Payola$ and Wall of Voodoo.

Looking forward to more from Rev-Ola -- keep up the great work!

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
...and Stewart Copeland alter-ego Klark Kent.

A reissue of Kollected Works would be neat. It's a rarity, long out of print, and gets a high price on eBay and Amazon.

I think if Claudine is going to be reissued, the first title I would like to see would be Run Wild, Run Free... I don't think even the Japanese have yet reissued it, and if so, it must have been out for a very short period...

And there were a handful of Non-LP singles Claudine had made that should also be included: "White Horses", "Nothing To Lose (from THE PARTY)"; the film starring Peter Sellers, in which Ms. Longet also appeared, and I'm dying to hear HER version of "Shadows Of The Night (Quentin's Theme)" just to see if it's anything like her now-ex-hubby Andy Williams' version...

...just being "hopeful", online... :wave:

Dave

Hi again everyone....the logo was in reaction to Jerry Moss mentioning to Steve Stanley (who did the covers) about the A&M logo being perhaps a bit lost of late....we already had our usual logo on the discs, but changed it to resemble an A&M logo!

Anyhow, Baja Marimba band and all the rest are possibles....if you guys would like them a particular way, particular tracks etc, let us know what! Any leads on making the package the BEST possible would be much appreciated....you are after all the core audience! And yes, IRS material might be in the running too
In any case the artists are all involved in these releases, and might be coming up with some surprises!

later

Joe

PS the early version of "we've only just begun" discussed elsewhere appears on one of our White Whale anthologies....

Joe--you're doing some great things over there at Rev-Ola! :thumbsup:

Rudy, thank you for bringing up the Pete Jolly albums. I would lobby for them more than any others; especially "Herb Alpert Presents Pete Jolly"

Mike said:
Rudy, thank you for bringing up the Pete Jolly albums. I would lobby for them more than any others; especially "Herb Alpert Presents Pete Jolly"

I agree Mike: I think that would be the most attractive in terms of popularity. Since it is a typical short 60s album, throwing on the entire "Give A Damn" album as a bonus is easy. (Although I wish it could be released without the horn overdubs and the fake applause on the title track.)

Is the Bossa Rio CD still in print in Japan? That may be another candidate. Verve seem to want to hang onto the Mendes titles, so I don't know if those are possible.

The one A&M Mendes still missing from CD format is the IN CONCERT album, recorded at the Greek Theatre and released in the UK and Japan but not the US. That would be a welcome addition to our collections.

I also would like to jump onto the Pete Jolly bandwagon. His stuff is really in need of a re-release.

Harry

Pete Jolly, yes...with his recent death, we should "give a damn..." :tongue:

His complete works would fit on a disc or two and I also have to put my hand up for what he did on A&M will someday get released! :thumbsup:

Dave

Thanks for your great work.

I'd like to see: COUNTRY BOY GOES TO TOWN by George McCurn with non-LP singles as bonus trax;

HAVE YOU MET MISS JONES by Artie Butler

TRUST IN ME by Soul Flutes (uncredited Herbie Mann)

STONEBONE by Kai Winding & J.J. Johnson --- was Japan LP only in '69

CHURLS + SEND ME NO FLOWERS by the Churls (2-for-1)

DON'T THINK TWICE by Waylon Jennings with non-Lp A&M trax

JOHN BRADEN (self-titled)

THE RETURN OF WE FIVE --- with Debbie/Jerry Burgan A&M non-LP trax

THIS IS OUR TIME by Children of God

JB
--- trying not to be overly demanding, online

You can give me:

Jimmie Rodgers: TROUBLED TIMES + Non-LP Singles;

Punch: PUNCH + "Rhymes"/"Waitin', Holdin' On"--A&M Singles; "Sweet Life"/"I Heard You Singing Your Song"--done on Bell;

Gayle Caldwell: CELEBRATION OF LIFE;

Sonny Charles & The Checkmates: LOVE IS ALL I HAVE TO GIVE + Non-LP Tracks, by Checkmates & Sonny Charles, as well...

Dave

...also sure to think o' s'more...!!!:cool:

I also vote for Pete Jolly's three on A&M...
Thanks for checking in and posting to the site. It's populated by a group of smart, passionate people.

Krayola King Dave said:
Sonny Charles & The Checkmates: LOVE IS ALL I HAVE TO GIVE + Non-LP Tracks, by Checkmates & Sonny Charles, as well...

This one's available now from Hip-O Select (it looks like no bonuses, though)...

--Mr Bill

There is no doubt that the twoi under represented A&M artists are Claudine Longet and the Baja Marimba band. I love them both and have had to compile my own CDRs using my albums and singles. Both had non-LP singles that will probably never see the light of day again. I am wondering iof since Rev-Ola is it able to license both albums and singles for comps or are they restricted to Lp reissues only.

Krayola King Dave ask about:

The current reissue has only the album, not the B sides, and I wish someone would search A&M's vaults for the Checkmates LTD song Baby Don't You Get Crazy which was supposed to have a very Righteous Brothers sound. It was reviewed in Billboard (I think, I have the revierw at home) so at least promo copies should have been pressed. But to this date I haven't found anyone with a copy. It was issued a single release number so it is probably lost on an A&M singles reel. As I understand it A&M stored singles on seperate tapes from the LPs and they were more like various artists reels.

Matter fact there are lots of interesting A&M singles that will probably never see reissue, so keep those turntables spinning.

Paul

TallPaul said:
Krayola King Dave ask(ed) about:
Sonny Charles & The Checkmates: LOVE IS ALL I HAVE TO GIVE + Non-LP Tracks, by Checkmates & Sonny Charles, (solo) as well...

...The current reissue has only the album, not the B sides, and I wish someone would search A&M's vaults for the Checkmates LTD song, "Baby Don't You Get Crazy" which was supposed to have a very Righteous Brothers sound. It was reviewed in Billboard, so at least promo copies should have been pressed... ...to this date I haven't found anyone with a copy... ...It was issued a single release number so it is probably lost on an A&M singles reel...

Paul

...And my handful of singles: "Black Pearl"/"Lazy Susan" (Non-LP), "Love Is All I Have To Give" / "Never Should Have Lied" (Non-LP), "Spanish Harlem" (with that Herb Alpert-inspired trumpet) / "Do You Love Me Baby" (Non-LP--also Very Rare!) and my beat-up promo-copy of Sonny Charles, solo "Welfare Man" / "It Takes A Little Longer" (Gary Wright song; both recorded in M'm-phes and produced by Chips Moman, suppossedly done with the area's legenday session-guitarist Reggie Young on guitar and sitar; ala. sessions with Aretha Franklin, B.J. Thomas, etc.) ...looking for: "Talk To Me, Talk To Me", which I think may be a Gospel song, and "Bless You", which may have actually been the same one, written and performed by General Johnson... and "Half As Much" (written by a C. Williams and covered by artists ranging from B.J. Thomas to Ray Conniff in a "Big Band"-setting on THE HAPPY SOUND OF...) / ? -- Don't know the "other one..." :blinkeye:

My point, Exactly!:cool:

Dave

A Phil Spector at A&M would be an interesting comp for sure!

A cohesive Phil Ochs comp would rule!

Here is another vote for Claudine Longet rarities, b-sides, outtakes, etc. That would sell!

The Baja Marimba band albums and singles woud be exquisite!

And, finally, put me on the Pete Jolly list!

I was curious as to you your affiliation with the Lemon label, if any? I linked to it through the Rev-Ola site. Can you give any info them?

Michael H.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom