• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

The A&M Trivia Thread /Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven J. Gross

In this thread ask a trivia question (hold the answer for a while), or just state some obscure facts or figures about A&M...

I'll start:

What A&M band was named after a famous rock?

If you're going to do this, you should give people a time limit to answer before putting the answer up. 17 minutes isn't exactly enough.

As in:

What Cat Stevens song lyric mentions the famous "ochre" color of the classic A&M label?

(Answer will be posted at 6:00 PM MST today)

In fairness, Steven gave 12 hours. His question was at 1:25 AM Eastern time, and he posted the answer at 1:42 PM Eastern.

But Mike is correct in suggesting an answer period time range.

Harry

The KenJoLares. (Kenny, Joe and Larry)

Which famous A&M artist got his start by running toward the front gate, clutching a demo tape, yelling "Herb! Herb!" before being stopped by the guard?

Which famous A&M artist got his start by running toward the front gate, clutching a demo tape, yelling "Herb! Herb!" before being stopped by the guard?

Gino Vannelli

Dave

(Although it could've been ME when I visited 'The Lot' back in '97...!) :winkgrin:

What's the first "A&M unreleased effort", which finally DID get released (on CD, --w/ complete listing of backing musicians...!) after decades of sitting around in the vault...?

Of which the listener was long-rewarded by the "1st A&M LP" of terrific, moody sunshine pop...?

Dave

That would be THE PARADE, never released as an album in the LP days, but rescued from the scrap heap of history by our friends in Japan.

Harry

Harry said:
That would be THE PARADE, never released as an album in the LP days, but rescued from the scrap heap of history by our friends in Japan.

Harry

There is a far superior version of this LP now available from Cherry Red Records which contains very extensive new liner notes, rare photos and
9, count 'em 9 additional bonus tracks & demos!

http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Girl...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1279319716&sr=1-1

Which A&M artist appeared in the original "Planet Of The Apes"?

CherryStreet said:
Which A&M artist appeared in the original "Planet Of The Apes"?

My first gut reaction was to say Paul Williams, who was actually only in the last, BATTLE FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES.

So you must be referring to the uncredited appearance of Smokey Roberds as a chimpanzee in the original PLANET OF THE APES.

Harry

Yup. I wondered if someone would jump the gun with "Paul Williams"!:cool:

Nice picture of Smokey in full chimp regalia in the liner notes of the Cherry Red Records release - "The Parade: Sunshine Girl Complete Recordings".

Smokey also appeared in such pulp as "The Proud And The Damned"
and "Day Of The Wolves".

Dave said:
after decades of sitting around in the vault

I'm not sure how long The Parade recordings were actually languishing in the A&M or some other "Vault". Because at sometime these recordings were either given back to the members of The Parade or they purchased them back.

When Cherry Red Records licensed all of the tracks for the release,
"The Parade: Sunshine Girl - The Complete Recordings" they in fact were licensed DIRECTLY from The Parade. Including the rare Roger Nichols Trio song "Montage Mirror" for which Murray MacLeod was also lead singer along with his sister Melinda. It's included in the Cherry Red Records edition and is credited as a "Previously Unreleased Demo".

THE PARADE recordings were still an A&M product as of 1995, anyway, since that's the date of the first release of the recordings from the Japanese A&M label. So they had to have "languished" at least 30 years.

Harry

And The Parade's lone-album was slated to have been released as A&M SP 4127; it of course had been released as part of the Japanese POCM-series, along with a few "bonus singles", added...

So, eleven "album numbers", later, came the same breed of music, by a newly-found pop act, which WAS released (and re-released several times on CD, including a couple expanded-editions featuring non-LP singles as bonus tracks)...

It left quite an impression for the label, encompassing the sounds of the then-current acts, and also forecast the future of pop music, which many pop acts emulated a lot of cues from in making their material, often citing this record as a bit of an "influence"... (--Few who have heard it, that is...) Although not making the immediate commercial impression it was destined to, it simply survived by remaining and enduring through the years as a bizarre curio...

Can anyone guess or name this group? (--Actually a TRIO...?)

Dave

Harry said:
THE PARADE recordings were still an A&M product as of 1995

So that must mean that sometime after 1995 the masters and ownership must have been transferred back to The Parade from what PolyGram? Herb & Jerry sold A&M in 1987 and they both only managed until what 1993? So both Herb & Jerry were long gone by 1995. I wonder if it was a "goodwill" effort and the masters & ownership were given back to The Parade or if they had to purchase them back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom