• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

the Best of Herb video

Status
Not open for further replies.

slick

I notice a chap called Werner picked up the Best of Herb alpert Video on Ebay for a Mere $12.00. I was watching this bid with interest as I have a copy myself. Being a rare article I would have imagined that it would have fetched quite a bit more. With all the excitement of new material coming out of the Herb Alpert camp perhaps potential bidders ate waiting for a DVD release with more features.

Keep on blowing that horn, Slick

You'd be amazed at what occasionally slips by on eBay or otherwise. I once misspelled Sergio's name while doing an eBay search (I spelled it something like 'Sergrio Mends') and found a somewhat rare Golden Prize in mint condition. Now, I assure you, I would not have won this for a mere $25 had it been spelled properly. You never know.

My (now defunct) copy of Sergio's BRASIL '86 CD was located in a used record store a couple of years ago. I paid a small amount compared to copies that sell on eBay for up to $300.

Back when I worked at Walt Disney World, I located an import copy of Herb's S.R.O. on CD the week our Virgin Megastore opened at Downtown Disney.

However, like you, I'm surprised Herb's video didn't go for a lot more. Like I said, these things happen. I guess it's a matter of luck+being in the right place at the right time. :wink:

Jon

brasil_nut said:
However, like you, I'm surprised Herb's video didn't go for a lot more.

I think the fact that the video is PAL format may have had something to do with the low price. I imagine that most fans in Europe would already have a copy, and those of us in North America didn't bid because we have no way to play the tape. If the tape had been NTSC, I have no doubt it would have sold for a whole lot more. I had actually considered bidding on the tape, but I made a few inquiries first, and couldn't find anyone around here that does PAL -> NTSC conversions, so I had to pass.

Murray
...wondering if he could bribe Harry to make him a copy of his LD...:wink:

You are right. A month ago, I picked up a Sounds Like album with the autographs of all 7 original members! And, I got it for 15 dollars. Talk about a bargain. I also made sure that it was indeed legit.

Murray said:
I had actually considered bidding on the tape, but I made a few inquiries first, and couldn't find anyone around here that does PAL -> NTSC conversions, so I had to pass.

You know, I've acquired a few items in the PAL format, both of which I've had no problem finding some place to transfer them into NTSC. I believe it was a local Wolf Camera store known for unusual transfers.

One of the items, a BRASIILEIRO promo from Elektra Records, arrived on my doorstep in PAL format...the seller had failed to reveal this fact in the transaction. The other item is an actual Network copy of Dateline Disneyland (the 1955 opening day broadcast), complete with commercials, tags, etc. Nothing like the chopped-up versions Disney offers these days on DVD (nothing more than multi-generational kinescopes, really).

Again, anyone who finds anything rare (such as a PAL formatted video), really wants it and can get it at a fair price, I say "Go for it!!" I know (for me) that the price of having these items transferred was worth every penny, considering that in NTSC, I'd have paid a great deal more -- and might not have had them at all. :wink:

Jon

...who agrees with Murray that the video would have sold higher in the NTSC format...

A while ago there was someone in Florida (or somewhere in the southeast) selling NTSC VHS versions of the video on eBay. I'm betting they were home-made transfer dubs from the PAL version.

Harry
...with absolutely nothing to back up that theory, online...

Please don't bombard me, but if anyone wants a transfer from PAL to NTSC (or any interformat dubs including SECAM) I may be able to hook you up at a reasonable price.

--Mr Bill

My sony video tape player plays all formats. I would have expected similar tape players in the USA would do the same. Seems not

Regards Slick

In my world travels I've found most VCRs in most countries are dual or multi-format. For some reason in the USA it's considered a "bonus" feature and the few decks that do it are marketed as multi-format at a premium price. My old AW-1 was $1300 (and it was a display model). We don't really have a lot to choose from here in the US as multi-formats go, but then, the USA (not Mexico, China and other third world stinkholes) is thought to be king of media piracy by the RIAA and Horrywooood studios...

--Mr Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom